Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha Schooling and Accomadation

Doha Schooling and Accomadation

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

richie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Doha Schooling and Accomadation

My wife and I have a 6 year old boy and we have the opportunity of moving to Doha, but have been advised that schooling can be an issue. We have checked the web and have been looking at he DESS school, does anyone have any comments regarding this school. Also with accommodation where would be a good place to stay in relation to this school ?? Appreciate your help and look forward to reading your comments.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha Schooling and Accomadation

Originally Posted by richie123
My wife and I have a 6 year old boy and we have the opportunity of moving to Doha, but have been advised that schooling can be an issue. We have checked the web and have been looking at he DESS school, does anyone have any comments regarding this school. Also with accommodation where would be a good place to stay in relation to this school ?? Appreciate your help and look forward to reading your comments.
DESS is a good school. But you better contact them, from what I know they have a very long waiting list.
I am not sure about accom, it depends on what you want. Is your company providing housing for you? What are you looking for? A villa on a compound, a flat or a "freestanding" (not on a compound) villa? What is your budget?

You can also look at www.expatwoman.com , this is a website for women in the UAE, it has a Qatar section, you should find all relevant info there.
Good luck!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks Alex, Appreciate your response. Is there any other schools you could recommend to us ? We have also been advised that the Park House is pretty good as well. My company will be paying for a Compound Villa, although I am yet to negotiate with them the monthly allowance, but to be honest schooling is our main priority at this point in time. Appreciate your help and look forward to your response.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Alex, Appreciate your response. Is there any other schools you could recommend to us ? We have also been advised that the Park House is pretty good as well. My company will be paying for a Compound Villa, although I am yet to negotiate with them the monthly allowance, but to be honest schooling is our main priority at this point in time. Appreciate your help and look forward to your response.
Have you contacted DESS yet? There is also Sherbourne, Park House, Compass . Do yo have to find a villa by yourselves?

There are the Beverly Hills compounds and the Al Fardan ones, both are ok. There are many more though, maybe HR of your company could make some recommendations?

As I said before, I recommend the expat woman board, they also have meetings etc, which are nice for new people.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks Alexa, appreciate your help and we will look at the website advised. Could you please advise what the rental rates are for accommodation within these areas. Also is there a webbiest you could direct us to that would give us an idea of housing within the Al Waab area ?? Again thanks for your help its very much appreciated.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Alexa, appreciate your help and we will look at the website advised. Could you please advise what the rental rates are for accommodation within these areas. Also is there a webbiest you could direct us to that would give us an idea of housing within the Al Waab area ?? Again thanks for your help its very much appreciated.

You mean a website? Sorry, do not know a website like that.
Most compounds charge between 12 to 15000 QR per month for a fully furnished 3 bed .The compound usually has a pool, gym, tennis court and clubhouse.
If you want better quality, you will have to pay around 19 to 25000 QR per month.

Al Waab has a lot of compounds, good ones and not so good ones. It is where most Western expats stay.Sorry, but I do not know the names of all of them, they are building new ones all the time.
A few are Al Waab Gardens, Al Doha Gardens, Green Village, Beverly Hills 1,2,3.4 ,5.
Al Faisaliyah,Champs Elysees, Al Hambra,Les Roses 1 and 2.

I can recommend Al Fardan , IMHO the best quality compounds around.I think they are up to number 3 now.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Alexa; Apr 14th 2010 at 11:18 am.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Alexa, you've been a great help. Hopefully travelling to Doha within the next couple of weeks but trying to get all the research completed before we arrive. Thanks again.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Alexa, you've been a great help. Hopefully travelling to Doha within the next couple of weeks but trying to get all the research completed before we arrive. Thanks again.
You are welcome, good luck!