Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha is it really that Expensive?

Doha is it really that Expensive?

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:09 am
Just Joined

ImranG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha is it really that Expensive?

Hi,

I am considering an opportunity in Doha which would give me 27,000 QAR a month all inclusive. No medical, no annual flights (only one for myself for the term of the employment) and no accommodation.

I've used the spreadsheet in the sticky and it makes for grim reading. Is it really that expensive? I have a wife and two children one is approaching her 2nd birthday and the other is 2 months old. Neither require any schooling but I just find it very surprising the 27k wouldn't be sufficient.

I am looking to save some money and not planning to spend big or live the life of riley.

I am keen to move and have wanted to for a number of years but just haven't had the opportunity.

I know this has been asked a million times and I have read a lot of the Doha threads already (mostly ones started by Air Bender) but would be grateful for your thoughts and any advice on how I could make it work?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:14 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha is it really that Expensive?

You can live on that sure, but only before schooling the children and you won't save anything. Is it worth it or will it improve before the 1st child goes to school is what I would ask myself
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Thing is, it's actually a fair bit more than what I'm on at the moment which is why it took me back a little when I used the spreadsheet. I'm working and living in London (albeit with parents - I know, I know), is it safe to assume that Doha is more expensive than London?

It's not something that I'm looking at long term (unless it really takes to us) so would be back before schooling. Just would like to experience living in a Muslim country (I'm a practicing Muslim by the way).

I'm only at the beginning of the application process but want to do my research beforehand. Having put forward the salary (by the recruitment agency), do you think there's room to negotiate if/when that happens. And how would you suggest I approach it?

And having seen what they're offering how much room do you think I would have to negotiate?

Thanks,
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:32 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a good Muslim, ie no drink you will be fine. The biggest expense here (after 9k a month for house and 2/3k per car) is going out. Shopping is comparable with the UK. Are you going to gain anything by bringing a young family here for 2 years though? If you want to experience living in a muslim country you could move to Luton and commute to London everyday.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:34 am
Shark Fisherman

And the last part of your question, ask for 20% more than they offer.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Or just move back up north where I'm originally from!

Seriously though, it's just something I've wanted to do for a while and use it as a way to learn the language too. At least then I can tick that box and move on so it won't bug me forever!

I am however, realistic though and wouldn't want to uproot my whole family just because I want to do something hence it really does have to be right and practically I would like to be in a better position than when I leave the UK as I don't want these two years to be wasted.

Also, I am saving just over £1k each month in the UK after all expenses (well most months anyway). I'm guessing this will not be happening?

Oh and would you give us some advice re approaching the negotiation please, I'm not very good with these things?

Thanks BritExpat76!
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:47 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by ImranG

Or just move back up north where I'm originally from!

Seriously though, it's just something I've wanted to do for a while and use it as a way to learn the language too. At least then I can tick that box and move on so it won't bug me forever!

I am however, realistic though and wouldn't want to uproot my whole family just because I want to do something hence it really does have to be right and practically I would like to be in a better position than when I leave the UK as I don't want these two years to be wasted.

Also, I am saving just over £1k each month in the UK after all expenses (well most months anyway). I'm guessing this will not be happening?

Oh and would you give us some advice re approaching the negotiation please, I'm not very good with these things?

Thanks BritExpat76!
They have offered you 27k, what do you earn in the UK to manage to save £1000pm? If its more you can use that to bargain with, If its less tell them to bring a whole family here it needs to be more than 30k pm.

Also what is your line of business?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76
They have offered you 27k, what do you earn in the UK to manage to save £1000pm? If its more you can use that to bargain with, If its less tell them to bring a whole family here it needs to be more than 30k pm.

Also what is your line of business?
I'm on £36k at the moment but like i said live with parents and I'm not a big spender.

I work with databases; general management, support, analysis and reporting. Though I'm not a DBA.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

ImranG: Forget about experiencing Muslim country. I am being serious mate, attitude of people over here will make you cringe and feel so bad about these people being the general representatives of Muslims.

If you are not better off financially then its not a good deal. As britexpat mentioned 9k for house and 2/3k for the car. That is 13 ish k, roughly keep a budget of 1k per week of grocery+petrol taking you to 17k expenses per month.

Leaving you with 10k saving per month, which is around 1600 pounds. Given all this, remember you are only living and eating groceries, no going out, no vacations, nada.

Ok you may do a bit of extra stuff by saving some on groceries, choose to shop from LuLu rather than Carrefour or even Family Food Center (which is even cheaper). But it wont be FUN remember.

The only way it can make any sense is this...

Do it for 2 to 3 years, save roughly same as you do in UK, but in those 2 years make several visits to Mecca + Medina - use that as your reason, and also will be able to learn language if you're into it. All this time hopefully market picks up in UK and then its easier to come back to UK as well.

Btw, 27k seems fair to me given what you're current salary is in the UK. However, just because its fair does not mean its worth it. There are people in a lot better circumstances than yourself (younger, single, no family, maybe without a job at present) who would jump at this opportunity and good for them - you need to decide what works for you mate.

Goodluck
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

[QUOTE=AirBender;10245067]ImranG: Forget about experiencing Muslim country. I am being serious mate, attitude of people over here will make you cringe and feel so bad about these people being the general representatives of Muslims.

I have experienced at least 20 muslim countries and there is no comparison between any of them. If you want to experience Muslim muti-cuturalism the you are much better off going to Luton or back north. You will not find any worthwhile experience in the Gulf. If that is your objective, and you are intent, then go to Saudi. At least there is nothing to spend your money on there.

My basic living costs in Doha come to more than 27000 month.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:27 pm
Shark Fisherman

[QUOTE=gottheTshirt;10248592]
Originally Posted by AirBender
ImranG: Forget about experiencing Muslim country. I am being serious mate, attitude of people over here will make you cringe and feel so bad about these people being the general representatives of Muslims.

I have experienced at least 20 muslim countries and there is no comparison between any of them. If you want to experience Muslim muti-cuturalism the you are much better off going to Luton or back north. You will not find any worthwhile experience in the Gulf. If that is your objective, and you are intent, then go to Saudi. At least there is nothing to spend your money on there.

My basic living costs in Doha come to more than 27000 month.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=britexpat76;10248699]
Originally Posted by gottheTshirt

That's a lot of cash for a place as dull as this....

Good job you're not living in Hong Kong
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Wife with expensive taste and an aversion to kitchen's
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

You could always learn to cook!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Euroside is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,
As it's the first time that I post to this forum, let me introduce myself. I'm not British, but Belgian, I'm married and we have one kid, 8 years old.
We are also considering an offer to work in Doha, it would be a permanent transfer within the same company from Europe.
I'm being offered a 34K a month as basic, plus 12K for housing allowance and 1,8K for Car allowance per month. Schooling is paid, annual flight for the familly and medical insurance are included also, as well as relocation services.
I checked too the cost of living spreadsheet in the sticky link and I'm not making my savings targets easily.
The black spot is mainly the accomodation costs.
So the question is : would you find a nice (by western standard) compund villa where the familly will be confortable to live in for the 12K-15K range of prices. For example in Abu Hamur or Al Waab area ?
Many thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.