Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha/Qatar - how secure?

Doha/Qatar - how secure?

Old Mar 6th 2005, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

AnthonyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha/Qatar - how secure?

As I've posted elsewhere in the forum I am currently researching working in Doha as I've applied for a job there. I've been browsing the forum and read some hair-raising articles about life in Saudi, which appears to be somewhere to avoid at all costs.

Are there any security issues in Qatar, given that its only border is with Saudi? Have things changed for the worse since America and the UK's recent 'adventures' in the Middle East?

I realise that the Emirates also border Saudi, but they just seem to be a little less 'cut off'.

If I was to be based in Doha I think I would want to pop over to Dubai fairly often. If I drove I would have to go via Saudi, which doesn't seem like a good idea, so is flying the best way to get between the two cities or is there a ferry?

Looking at Qatar Airways website the return seems to be in the region of £120 GBP. Do any airlines have cheaper fares?
Old Mar 6th 2005, 12:42 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha/Qatar - how secure?

Originally Posted by AnthonyB

Looking at Qatar Airways website the return seems to be in the region of £120 GBP. Do any airlines have cheaper fares?
Air Arabia
Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if cheaper, but might be, if you flew to say france and connected from there...

As for Doha, great place, and safe for westerners.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:38 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't know if cheaper, but might be, if you flew to say france and connected from there...

As for Doha, great place, and safe for westerners.
No complain living here Bob ... been here nearly 4 years now. Don't think I want to leave except hubby got kick out from his job.

But for singles... they do complain that this place is boring ...
Old Mar 6th 2005, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by novita77
No complain living here Bob ... been here nearly 4 years now. Don't think I want to leave except hubby got kick out from his job.

But for singles... they do complain that this place is boring ...

I'm a single and I think I'd enjoy a bit of peace and quiet after London lol. Anyway, there's always Dubai, hence my question above.

The poster who suggested Air Arabia for cheap flights between Doha and Dubai is spot on - around £50-£60 sterling return, very good. That's to Sharjah rather than Dubai but it's near enough.

Glad to hear that Doha is safe too.

Novita - will your husband be able to get another job? Hope so.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:40 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a single and I think I'd enjoy a bit of peace and quiet after London lol. Anyway, there's always Dubai, hence my question above.

The poster who suggested Air Arabia for cheap flights between Doha and Dubai is spot on - around £50-£60 sterling return, very good. That's to Sharjah rather than Dubai but it's near enough.

Glad to hear that Doha is safe too.

Novita - will your husband be able to get another job? Hope so.
Well... if u enjoy quiet place probably Doha would your 'cup of tea'

Yes my husband would be able to get a job somewhere else, but it wont be a married status like what he get in Doha . That's why we quite happy living here... hehe...
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Novi I think antony thinks your hubby lost his job
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Novi I think antony thinks your hubby lost his job

I did lol, but obviously that is not the case.

DubaiExpat - do you look anything like your avatar? (He asked hopefully )
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

I did lol, but obviously that is not the case.

DubaiExpat - do you look anything like your avatar? (He asked hopefully )
I might do I would ask if you look like your avatar but you don't have one!
When do you plan to move to Doha?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
I might do I would ask if you look like your avatar but you don't have one!
When do you plan to move to Doha?
I'll have to dig out a suitable avatar!

The job I applied for last week requires a start 'as soon as possible' so I guess it could be quick if I get the position.

I imagine I'd have to fly out there for an interview first though so I will see what the employer's timescale is. I've heard nothing back yet.

I saw on this forum a post from another television production person who has secured employment at the Media City in Dubai, so that's worth following up too.

By the way, could you or anyone else who knows explain what a 'free zone' is?
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll have to dig out a suitable avatar!

The job I applied for last week requires a start 'as soon as possible' so I guess it could be quick if I get the position.

I imagine I'd have to fly out there for an interview first though so I will see what the employer's timescale is. I've heard nothing back yet.

I saw on this forum a post from another television production person who has secured employment at the Media City in Dubai, so that's worth following up too.

By the way, could you or anyone else who knows explain what a 'free zone' is?
Normally to run a business it must be 51% local owned and you would own the rest. In a freezone you don't need to do this and give away 51% of your profits to a random local 'sponsor', which is why as you can imagine freezones are so popular!
Good luck with your job Come to Dubai for an exciting weekend, there's lots to do!