British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   to doha or not to doha? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/doha-not-doha-479412/)

mrdwood Sep 6th 2007 3:08 pm

to doha or not to doha?

I currently work in an airline and my gf is looking to move to India for a year / 18 months. Only problem is that my chances of getting a good job there is very slim so im going to work in the middle east and simply fly and see her every now and then!

Now….the killer question!! I’ve been looking and applying for jobs and the most interesting jobs I can get seem to be in Qatar airways based in Doha. Now I’ve heard that Doha is one of the most uneventful places in the world with very little to do! My question …..as a 27 year old will I be able to bear the place for 18 months? I mean is it easy enough to make expat and non expat friends and find anything to actually do at weekends? Not sure if I fancy moving somewhere where ill find myself watching tv on my own all weekend!!

Anyway thanks in advance for any help 

lionheart Sep 6th 2007 3:34 pm

Re: to doha or not to doha?

Doha is a good place to live and work so long as your accommodation is paid for. Qatar Airways are a modern and progressive organisation. Go for it...

Bob Sep 6th 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5281216)
....Qatar Airways are a modern and progressive organisation. Go for it...

also good at firing people en mass on a whim...

Fairydust Sep 7th 2007 7:09 am

Originally Posted by mrdwood (Post 5281123)
I currently work in an airline and my gf is looking to move to India for a year / 18 months. Only problem is that my chances of getting a good job there is very slim so im going to work in the middle east and simply fly and see her every now and then!

Now….the killer question!! I’ve been looking and applying for jobs and the most interesting jobs I can get seem to be in Qatar airways based in Doha. Now I’ve heard that Doha is one of the most uneventful places in the world with very little to do! My question …..as a 27 year old will I be able to bear the place for 18 months? I mean is it easy enough to make expat and non expat friends and find anything to actually do at weekends? Not sure if I fancy moving somewhere where ill find myself watching tv on my own all weekend!!

Depends on what job you are looking for?

mrdwood Sep 7th 2007 7:30 am

im looking at something in business development or international relations etc, im hoping that ill travel alot with work! done a bit of reading up on Doha, sounds like it doesnt have a huge amount of things to do but seems to be alot of expats out there so it should be fun for a year or so :)

Blue Cat Sep 7th 2007 7:40 am

try Emirates Airlines, then you would be based in Dubai - lots going on here :thumbsup:

Fairydust Sep 7th 2007 7:44 am

Yes would look at Emirates or Etihad rather than Qatar

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 7th 2007 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5281216)
Doha is a good place to live and work so long as your accommodation is paid for. Qatar Airways are a modern and progressive organisation. Go for it...

:ohmy::blink::huh:

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 7th 2007 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 5283747)
Yes would look at Emirates or Etihad rather than Qatar

I think that's a much better plan ....

Alexa Sep 7th 2007 6:16 pm

Agree.

zamboooka Sep 8th 2007 2:17 pm

a 27 year old in Doha!?
Dude... dont do it...!!!!

silentpartner Sep 17th 2007 5:35 am

Originally Posted by mrdwood (Post 5281123)

Hi! You have heard correctly that Doha is not the most happening place in the world. That is true. However if you are looking at a job that involves frequent travel and the tenure of your stay is only going to be approximately 18 months, then I would say give it a go. If nothing else Doha will prove to be a place where you could possibly save a little owing to the lack of options to spend on. There are a few clubs there I am told. I would not know first hand what they are like. Apart from walking aroud a mall there is not much. I do know of people who were involved in scuba diving if that is of interest to you. Dubai is a place you will at some stage end up in I am sure. Qatar Airways is growing and who knows you may shine in your field and find valuable career opportunities arising from friends you make in the network. The GCC is a small region. Any place is better than Doha I am told. We lived there for 10 months and are now in Bahrain. I like this place more. But I liked Doha too. It is a personal preference but I have also lived in Dubai for 5 years and I would choose Doha over it. True that will surprise some people. But then again I am not 27. I suggest, if you can make a brief visit and then decide. Good luck either way.

Dago Sep 17th 2007 8:38 am

Go where you can get a job. The strategy relates to seeing your gf not to where you work. All places have good and bad.

bigmamma Sep 18th 2007 7:05 am

After living here for just over a year my advice would be don't do it. Doha has to be the most boring place ever. I know a guy the same age as you and he has been here 5 months and is desperate to leave. There's not a community feel and no one is really keen to make friends unless you are the right grade in the office or drive a particular car or live in a particular compound !!!!

Thankfully we are outta here soon and hopefully will not be back.

Oh and it's very expensive.

silentpartner Sep 18th 2007 11:26 am

Originally Posted by bigmamma (Post 5324144)
After living here for just over a year my advice would be don't do it. Doha has to be the most boring place ever. I know a guy the same age as you and he has been here 5 months and is desperate to leave. There's not a community feel and no one is really keen to make friends unless you are the right grade in the office or drive a particular car or live in a particular compound !!!!

Thankfully we are outta here soon and hopefully will not be back.

Oh and it's very expensive.

True to a great extent. Doha certainly does lack a feeling of community. The younger set definitely do not have too many options other than the sleazy club scene, which is not every ones cup of tea anyway. And yes the compound factor does seem to count towards how many friends one makes, if you can call them friends. I know for myself, it was my job that kept me sane because there i met some wonderful, genuine people. My job exposed me to the local population too. and while they were not all great i did come across some very nice people with their hearts in the right places. Ask me to go live in Doha again- i think i would say no. For us too it was the friends factor that played the biggest part in our feelings for doha. i know my kids loved their respective schools but not much else. my kids are teenagers so they can be very selective too. If asked, i always tell people- go check it out first if you can. It is not an easy place to live in. I think I am being too contradictory and should stop now. Sorry if I have completely thrown you off track. Doha is like that. It works well for some people and not at all for others. In some ways every place is like that. Good luck with your decision.