Doha or not?

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

simon-hannah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha or not?

I've been offered a job as a construction manager in doha and they've asked what i expect as a package. My question is this should I leave wife and kids here in the U.K. and try to save every penny, or take them and enjoy a good lifestyle, is there a good lifestyle in doha? Either way what should i be asking for as a package. I've worked in the US before and also have the possibility of a job later next year in Barbados but doha is where the money is.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha or not?

Define "good lifestyle" as you see it and I can answer your question. How old are the kids? What would be your expected arrival. School places are a huge problem, and cost.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Kids are 7,5 and 1. Would be starting Feb/march time and are looking for a lifestyle where we can spend some time together. Both Hannah and I are not big drinkers, our ideal weekend would involve spending time with the kids whilst enjoying new things. I like the idea of the middle east as a new challenge, but with the family we also need it to be safe. My employers would meet costs of schooling and accommodation. Hope this gives enough info, Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Directly payed housing and schooling are very important and a big weight off new comers - your options for getting the kids in the schools you want half way through the year might be very difficult but my teacher friends left in October so I'm not up to date with the exact wait list position.

The biggest problem with Doha is there is not really much "to do". Great new sporting facilities but kinda useless outside competitive sport. The beach clubs are now costing 10-20k a year for family memberships with waiting lists from 6 months. People do go out to the dunes and beaches for BBQs and playing with various toys but I wouldnt be taking young children out there much I dont think it's safe enough. This also necessitates buying a 4 x 4.

If you get put on a good compound (the wait lists are long for the privately available, but I dont know your co. maybe they have their own) then friends and social life for your wife would probably be just fine once settled in. You would need to make sure of where they are putting you.

There are certainly many activites for kids ie, after school clubs and compund pools/ play areas but I dont feel there's really anywhere to "take" kids after you've done the few things listed in the lonely planet. Most young children seem to spend huge amounts of time in the arcade/small theme park areas of the shopping malls.

I grew up west of london and was perhaps spoiled with things to do so my overall opinion on this place (aside from the ridiculous costs arguement) is that whilst it is comfortable enough and (bar the roads) safe enough I see it as a huge drop in quality of life from an opportunites and environmental respect. With a 1 year old, regional travel won't be easy or convinient either so you are kinda stuck with Doha options.

The Expat cost of living here is high. It's really only petrol, junk fast food and regional produce - most of which I dont know the name of, let alone what to do with (and I can cook Indian and Thai) - and western brand products that are licensed to be produced in KSA that are cheap.

Only you know what your jump in income is going to be, but half what you think you'll get left with to save and you're probably still going to end up taking less home. It also depends on what timescales your looking at and whether the family could deal with the other option of separations. You are looking at minimum 15 months away for tax free status.

I would definitely be wanting detailed information of housing arrangements because that will have a huge impact on things for your family and wife in particular. I cannot stress how key this is, espeicially with a young bab.

Many managers and QSs I know have to work 6 days a week. Bullshit and frustration levels are also tenfold increased here so make sure your higher pay is high enough to cover all this.

Have any of you ever been to the middle east? Also take a look at QatarLiving.com. Mix of expats post there but a thorough mooch will give you some good insight.

BE - Who was the fella that moved DbX - Doha - Europe over the last 15 months? Little Jimmy? He would probably be a good source of info for you.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:33 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

yes, it was Little Jimmy that spend some time in Doha...he's got a blog listed under his userid, he has written about his time in Doha...
I don't think he was very happy there....(oh...understatement)
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

When in Doha, do as Romans do...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input guys, I've got no real experience of the middle east unless several diving trips to the red sea count! This was one of the things that appealed to us, learning about a new way of life. Obviously keeping the kids safe as well as entertained is our main concern, if they are happy then we can relax. I'd like to get the experience but not at our personal cost, if the cost of living is as high as some speculate then I'll need to push for a better package. If schooling and accommodation are included then what ballpark salary would you consider to be appropriate for a family of 5 ( possibly 6)? We would want to be able to do lots of new things and maybe save a little whilst we're at it.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon-hannah
Thanks for the input guys, I've got no real experience of the middle east unless several diving trips to the red sea count! This was one of the things that appealed to us, learning about a new way of life. Obviously keeping the kids safe as well as entertained is our main concern, if they are happy then we can relax. I'd like to get the experience but not at our personal cost, if the cost of living is as high as some speculate then I'll need to push for a better package. If schooling and accommodation are included then what ballpark salary would you consider to be appropriate for a family of 5 ( possibly 6)? We would want to be able to do lots of new things and maybe save a little whilst we're at it.
What kind of new things would you like to do in Doha?
I am trying to think ....no, can't come up with anything!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
What kind of new things would you like to do in Doha?
I am trying to think ....no, can't come up with anything!
Make more babies...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Make more babies...
That would be an option for him, not a particularly new one it looks like...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lady Lou

Have stopped making little people a while ago.Prefer to keep it that way.
I know...But, I was referring to Simon...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Confucius
I know...But, I was referring to Simon...
I noticed, a little later...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

as you are discussing our sex life, emilly is only one and i am already 4 months pregnant with baby number 4 so i hope making more babies wil not be on our to do list if we do end up in doha !!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is not a culture you as a non-muslim can get involved in for the most part. We have friends from the region - Lebanon and Syria mostly but they come into our world, not the other way around.

The 'different' way of life here is trotting off to a mosque at ridiculous hours of morning, noon and night. Beduoin camps are kept in the desert during the winter months .. camel racing goes on. From a living perspective, not a here's the tourist souks one, we are not welcomed into this culture and very, very little contact goes on. Doha gets old, fast.

The things I enjoy about here are my access to international friends and foods and the odd sense of charm this place has about it during the evening call to prayer. Other than that I can have the same or more of exactly what I want at home.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simon-hannah
as you are discussing our sex life, emilly is only one and i am already 4 months pregnant with baby number 4 so i hope making more babies wil not be on our to do list if we do end up in doha !!
I certainly would not choose to have a newborn here. From trusting healthcare down to the practical things like no feeding and changing facilities. I see nothing around Doha that makes it a baby friendly place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.