Doha lifestyle

Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

simon-hannah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha lifestyle

I am in negotiation with a company re employment as a construction manager in doha. The project involves the fit out of a 50 storey hotel and I have been offered 420000qr per annum plus a reasonable bonus. They are looking for a 5-6 day week,7am-5pm with 38 days holiday per year. I would have to fund our housing, motoring and schooling expenses for ages 7 and 5. They include 1 return flight per year plus medical. Is this offer reasonable or are they chancing their arm? It seems a little low to me but they say that living in doha is cheap once the house is paid for. Our housing needs would be 3/4 bedrooms, safe and reasonably close to city centre. Our lifestyle is mainly centred around the kids, If they've got outdoor space/beach/pool then we're all happy. We're not looking at getting rich but it would be nice to put a little aside for a rainy day,(when we visit UK!) Any advice would be welcome.Thanks
Old Dec 29th 2007, 6:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha lifestyle

I am not sure how much the schools cost over there so I can't really help. A total package of 43,000 per month here in Dubai would be manageable for sure.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:05 am
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never been there but my employer is in big construction in Doha as well and I know a few colleagues there.
I think in this company you would earn, depending on experience etc, something like 320k +/-50k but plus accomodation, car, medical, life insurance. Not sure their school policy but I think they try to avoid hiring ppl with kids in school. From this perspective this offer seems to be a bit tight.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

I understand from friends over on Doha that there is a shortage of site engineers/construction managers, the cost of living I am told is slightly less than Dubai with property being about 20% less, english curriculum schools with mainly expats being taught being of a similar cost ie between 42-48000 per annum.If its a 6 day week for 420000 per year thats not good either financially or iof you want weekends with yopur family, also if my maths is correct it is 35000 per month, you don't mention any sort of relocation allowance, I would have thought however you would manage but just about.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, no way.
Let me give you some figures.
Housing will cost you approx. 180000 QR min. per year
Schooling for 2 kids will be approx 200000 Qr per year ( 2 kids)
Plus you have to pay for food, which is far from cheap here plus car approx. 24000QR per year.
So, you can calculate what you have left over.
Sorry, but those figures are the sad reality here in Doha.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:21 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
IMHO, no way.
Let me give you some figures.
Housing will cost you approx. 180000 QR min. per year
Schooling for 2 kids will be approx 200000 Qr per year ( 2 kids)
Plus you have to pay for food, which is far from cheap here plus car approx. 24000QR per year.
So, you can calculate what you have left over.
Sorry, but those figures are the sad reality here in Doha.

you might be able to survive less than that if you dont mind sharing a flat or renting a room in someone's house.

as for schooling ... my son in Y1 cost 7500 a term in Doha English Speaking School.

Hope this help a bit.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:28 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by novita77
you might be able to survive less than that if you dont mind sharing a flat or renting a room in someone's house.

as for schooling ... my son in Y1 cost 7500 a term in Doha English Speaking School.

Hope this help a bit.
How can they rent a room with 2 children?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:34 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beebee
How can they rent a room with 2 children?
it happened to some people out there beebee ...
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

mmdiab is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simon-hannah
I am in negotiation with a company re employment as a construction manager in doha. The project involves the fit out of a 50 storey hotel and I have been offered 420000qr per annum plus a reasonable bonus. They are looking for a 5-6 day week,7am-5pm with 38 days holiday per year. I would have to fund our housing, motoring and schooling expenses for ages 7 and 5. They include 1 return flight per year plus medical. Is this offer reasonable or are they chancing their arm? It seems a little low to me but they say that living in doha is cheap once the house is paid for. Our housing needs would be 3/4 bedrooms, safe and reasonably close to city centre. Our lifestyle is mainly centred around the kids, If they've got outdoor space/beach/pool then we're all happy. We're not looking at getting rich but it would be nice to put a little aside for a rainy day,(when we visit UK!) Any advice would be welcome.Thanks
Yes, If you have your housing provided. this is a good offer. You will like the country it small. People are friendly
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by axlenoyl
I understand from friends over on Doha that there is a shortage of site engineers/construction managers, the cost of living I am told is slightly less than Dubai with property being about 20% less, english curriculum schools with mainly expats being taught being of a similar cost ie between 42-48000 per annum.If its a 6 day week for 420000 per year thats not good either financially or iof you want weekends with yopur family, also if my maths is correct it is 35000 per month, you don't mention any sort of relocation allowance, I would have thought however you would manage but just about.
I do not agree with you that cost of living is lesser that Dubai by %20. Could be before. Now, it is almost the same.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by novita77

Hope this help a bit.
I agree, there are many ways to live with cheaper cost in Doha.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Most manangers and QSs I know work 6 days full stop .. there's no 5 about it and it is 7 till finished, although that's not always late. You do get more AL and Eid holidays on top for most people but that is a 60 hour + week, every week it does not make for "family" time.

You're wanting to be on a compound which you will independently have to find ,, good luck on that one, most have waiting lists like 1 year+. There are no nice beaches unless you want to pay 15-20k for a hotel family membership, you will wait 6 months + for the big ones there too.

The cost of young kids in school is going to be 30-40k per child. Places are very difficult to get, there is an acute shortage.

35k a month, plus schooling and medical etc etc, 2-3 years ago would have been a decent offer. Today, it's just not worth the shit here. You also don't know whats going to happen with the currencies so working out what you think you're going to have compared to what you might end up with is a risky business atm if you ask me.

Only you know how much better the financial situation may be but ... you have been warned .. to live on a compound you're going to be kissing goodbye to 50- 60% of your salary before you blink. A four bed place not on a compound is still going to set you back 15+ depending on area and furnishing.

Without being on a compound it's unlikely you will find the lifestyle you're looking for and with you working 60+ hours a week it will be harder for your wife to find her feet here. Especially if she ends up not wanting to drive. Many don't.

As for is it a good offer in it's own right ... most Brits don't seem to be getting much more than UK gross salaries as offers - plus school and medical these days, but then that's why I ask myself wtf they are coming. Recruiters here have absolutely no understanding of quality of life and no global context with which to place it .. and they lie ... frequently.

With the exception of a hand full of charms, this place is an overpriced construction site. You can make friends anywhere in the world and if you're not going to take much money back to the UK why the hell do it here?

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; Dec 30th 2007 at 2:40 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmdiab
I agree, there are many ways to live with cheaper cost in Doha.
Yes, there are undoubtedly, but why move here to have to scrimp and share accommodation? F**k that.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mmdiab
Yes, If you have your housing provided. this is a good offer. You will like the country it small. People are friendly
But the point here is that our newbie friend does NOT have housing provided. He should therefore press for more dosh plus two sets of return flights home, including for the kids.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Sounds to me like everyone is saying 35000 per month is nowere near enough, that being the case some of you must be on hellish salaries, or obviously single and there on your own or with both working.Everyones needs differ as does their existing standard of living, it may be Simon Hannah that you look elsewhere for a better offer, based on my knowledge be it limited, it is doubtful that the company is going to offer you a great deal more, probably maybe a thousand or so per month, so maybe go via a different agency for another offer with someone else so that at least you can compare, people on sites offer the best advice they can based on their knowledge.
I just wonder how they get so many expats over there to work for the salaries if indeed its not viable to live there, its ok saying ask for more dosh but how much more will they pay.

Tootsie says 35k a month, plus schooling and medical etc etc, 2-3 years ago would have been a decent offer. Today, it's just not worth the shit here. You also don't know whats going to happen with the currencies so working out what you think you're going to have compared to what you might end up with is a risky business atm if you ask me,so Tootsie what is a desent achievable offer.

Incidentally what is the qr compared to the dhs?

Another tip I have found is if someone is being totally negative, have alook at some of their past posts it may be they are always negative! But do look closely break down all your needs and provide yourself a spread sheet with all outgoings on and work towards your salary needs, thats a start.
It sound to me that Tootsie, BeeBee and Lady Lou are in Doha, they may well be able to give you a full breakdown of costs beside those already given, they all apear to have been there some time so their experience will be invaluable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.