Doha - Key positives/negatives

Doha - Key positives/negatives

Old Aug 24th 2015, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

init2winit02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Doha - Key positives/negatives

Originally Posted by primularossa
Well, after a few months here I would add some positive aspects:

- the facility of meeting new people (if you want) as we are all expatriates and willing to build a new social life. If you take the initiative a bit, you will see a good response by many people.

- There are a lot of things to discover around, both here in Qatar and in the nearby countries.

- I disagree about the fact that Doha is boring. Of course you cannot compare the cultural offer of Doha with the one in London, but a few cities in the world can. Nevertheless, in Katara Cultural Village there are many good cultural initiatives. The Youth Film Festival, that lasted more than one week ago, was just fantastic. There is a philharmonic orchestra that gives good concerts. There are sport events, there is an exellent jazz club, sailing clubs, agencies that organise daily or WE trips in kayak or in the desert, nice places where to eat out without spending a lot of money, as in the Souq, you can go to the seaside all winter...when I have to work, I cannot go out more than once - twice a week anyhow!!

if you consider to join Qatar, you might find a lot of positive things if you have a positive attitude.
Coming close to a year for you primularossa, is there anything you would add (or remove) from your initial post?

If anyone else who has moved to Doha in 2015 has any comments it would be helpful!

Thank you all for your comments!
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Doha - Key positives/negatives

I moved out here in August last year. From around Oct-Mar there was plenty to do, but from April onwards it started getting waaaay too hot for a lot of activities; there's only so many brunches and visits to the mall before they become pretty dull.

And while there are various events on during the evenings, they tend to start later on a school night than I would prefer when I know what time the alarm clock's set for. Especially when the traffic's much worse in the evenings and travel time increases massively.

But as I said, for half the year there's loads to do and I loved it. Just got to find a better way to cope with next year's Ramadan and the rest of summer!
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Synesis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
Just in terms of tying to establish what "Positive" actually is in Qatar - does anyone have any thoughts on an offer of 40k QR pcm all in (inclusive of Trans & Accom allowance) for an Architecture Design Director in Doha?
They're expecting 10 hour days (no OT), plus 6 days a week.
Sounds like a pretty thin gruel. What would be a decent senior manager's package today for the design and construction industry?
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated as I've no experience of MENA. just UK & Asia-Pacific. Thank you!
Old Aug 26th 2015, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Synesis
Hi All,
Just in terms of tying to establish what "Positive" actually is in Qatar - does anyone have any thoughts on an offer of 40k QR pcm all in (inclusive of Trans & Accom allowance) for an Architecture Design Director in Doha?
They're expecting 10 hour days (no OT), plus 6 days a week.
Sounds like a pretty thin gruel. What would be a decent senior manager's package today for the design and construction industry?
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated as I've no experience of MENA. just UK & Asia-Pacific. Thank you!
That's 20,000 QR light in my opinion for a senior position like that . Having an all in package is common here but make sure the total cost covers everything .

Take an average of 15 K for accom and utilities and you're not left with much .

Go for more or tell them to poke it .
Old Aug 26th 2015, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks Durham,
I thought as much - really appreciate your inside track on things.
Are you in the property-construction game yourself?
What about the 10hour day/6day per week sweated labour?
Sounds a bit extreme to me.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Durham,
I thought as much - really appreciate your inside track on things.
Are you in the property-construction game yourself?
What about the 10hour day/6day per week sweated labour?
Sounds a bit extreme to me.
Im in the construction game so i'm a site based guy . We work a standard 6 day 10 hr per day week. It's flexible though but based on your specific job requirements . Sometimes i can be on site for 15 hrs and sometimes i'll have an afternoon off playing golf .

I also expect the guys working for me to do the same and be as flexible , what we do here isn't 8-5 and we expect people to fit in with that and obviously we off packages to suit our requirements .

Office based design staff i expect should be different but a lot of local based firms still work inflexible old working type hours plus have HR systems that are very out of date . Be careful of that as the more info you can gather will help you making a decision .
Old Aug 26th 2015, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again, OK - very enlightening parallel universe, will do my homework.
They're calling it a DM role but the actual JD list of responsibilities is more like a Design Director's.
What are they up to I wonder?
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

I'll wager lower DM reward, but higher DD responsibilities and workload.
Any takers?
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

In any event - I owe you, Mr CDB - a very heady, cleansing ale. ;-)
Old Aug 27th 2015, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

In any event - I owe you, Mr CDB - a very heady, cleansing ale. ;-)
Remember it's 8 quid a pint , you'll need the extra