Reload this Page >

Doha - Key positives/negatives

Doha - Key positives/negatives

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:15 am
Just Joined

init2winit02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Doha - Key positives/negatives

Dear All,

I've had a browse through the forum and many other sources with particular interest of pro's and cons of moving to Doha.

Seems to be that the most trended elements are as follows:

Positives:
- Money/savings
- Weather (some include the summer as a negative)

Negatives:
- Lack of things to do
- Immense traffic and terrible drivers

Things such as moving away from family/friends is also a key negative which is just part of the expat lifestyle in general. Having thought about it, I would also miss the public smoking ban UK has in place, general public transport and infrastructure in place.

What are your key positives/negatives since moving to Doha? (Kudos for thinking over and above the ones noted above).
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:27 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha - Key positives/negatives

Positives:
- Money

Negatives:
- Qataris
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Positives:
- Money

Negatives:
- Most everything else
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having been here for a few months now, I have to agree the main positive is the money, if you like shopping malls with poor versions of awful american restaurants then you're in luck, agree about the driving and traffic too it really is insane and can be quite alarming especially the roundabouts.
if you come here make sure you have a good employer who will provide a multi exit visa and a NOC on termination of contract.
i think the comment about qatari's being a negative is a tad unfair..yes you get a few dicks but i have found the ones i deal with to be very hospitable and friendly.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:23 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ali84
i think the comment about qatari's being a negative is a tad unfair..yes you get a few dicks but i have found the ones i deal with to be very hospitable and friendly.
Having worked with them over the past ten years on and off, I disagree.

The politest way I could describe them is as spoilt children from a nouveau riche family.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

positives:
Money

Negatives:
Everything else. I will explain a bit:

1)Schools: education is sub-standard, yet they charge lots of money. Even those schools with good reputations are far sub-standard compared to the ones back home. Most teachers are the beginning of their career life and have little experience. Most expats come here for a few years and then bugger off. So teachers (and kids) change every few years, which is not good for children. I feel like entering a prison or intelligence department if I want to get into school and communication between school/teachers and parents is poor.
2)weather Although I can tolerate hot weather but can't tolerate breathing dust all-year round. The air quality here is one of the worst in the world. When it rains, I feel the rain is contaminated and full of sh**
3)supermarkets high prices and poor quality in general. Customer service is non-existent. I never asked any worker in a supermarket about anything and get a useful answer.
They stock commodities from different countries and never have continuity of supply. I think they purchase old stock and sell it at high price. If you find a good item you might never see it again.
4)traffic and driving no comment
This is on living side, not to mention work-side.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

My own thoughts on this are as follows,

The quality of your experience in the Middle East will be directly proportional to the size of the steaming pile of poo you are leaving behind in your own country.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Having worked with them over the past ten years on and off, I disagree.

The politest way I could describe them is as spoilt children from a nouveau riche family.
lol maybe once ive been here a bit longer i will reach the same conclusion.
a comment a friend made regarding the the qataris he works with in a government department springs to mind, a third world mentality with first world money.

Last edited by Ali84; Dec 4th 2014 at 12:42 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Positives - cash , proximity for travel , weather .

Negatives - as it's been said almost everything . Qatari;s are the scousers of the Middle East
Old Dec 8th 2014, 5:25 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Positives - cash , proximity for travel , weather .

Negatives - as it's been said almost everything . Qatari;s are the scousers of the Middle East
had some great nights out in Liverpool though.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Positives

Cash, No tax, safety, traveling
Good place to raise children away from many vice available in "the west"
Good place to tighten family bonds... is basically forced

Negatives

Qataris, Indians that believe they are Qataris, and rest of expats that adapt to the environment and adopt qataris customs.

Traffic

Dust

If you are single with poor social skills (like me), you'll die of boredom... and trust me, you will say "i'll be forced to be more sociable, which is good", but you wont, you'll be bored
Old Dec 9th 2014, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after a few months here I would add some positive aspects:

- the facility of meeting new people (if you want) as we are all expatriates and willing to build a new social life. If you take the initiative a bit, you will see a good response by many people.

- There are a lot of things to discover around, both here in Qatar and in the nearby countries.

- I disagree about the fact that Doha is boring. Of course you cannot compare the cultural offer of Doha with the one in London, but a few cities in the world can. Nevertheless, in Katara Cultural Village there are many good cultural initiatives. The Youth Film Festival, that lasted more than one week ago, was just fantastic. There is a philharmonic orchestra that gives good concerts. There are sport events, there is an exellent jazz club, sailing clubs, agencies that organise daily or WE trips in kayak or in the desert, nice places where to eat out without spending a lot of money, as in the Souq, you can go to the seaside all winter...when I have to work, I cannot go out more than once - twice a week anyhow!!

if you consider to join Qatar, you might find a lot of positive things if you have a positive attitude.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 1:13 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

+ End of month SMS
+ Qatar Distribution Company
+ No driving test for UK drivers
+ V8 5.7L SUVs and petrol at £0.15 a litre
+ Airside at Hamad Int. Airport

- Sponsorship/ Exit Permits
- Residency Permit (RP) process
- Food hygiene
- Air quality
- Ramadan
- Accommodation cost/ standard
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually liked ramadan hehehe
Old Dec 11th 2014, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by primularossa
Well, after a few months here I would add some positive aspects:

- the facility of meeting new people (if you want) as we are all expatriates and willing to build a new social life. If you take the initiative a bit, you will see a good response by many people.

- There are a lot of things to discover around, both here in Qatar and in the nearby countries.

- I disagree about the fact that Doha is boring. Of course you cannot compare the cultural offer of Doha with the one in London, but a few cities in the world can. Nevertheless, in Katara Cultural Village there are many good cultural initiatives. The Youth Film Festival, that lasted more than one week ago, was just fantastic. There is a philharmonic orchestra that gives good concerts. There are sport events, there is an exellent jazz club, sailing clubs, agencies that organise daily or WE trips in kayak or in the desert, nice places where to eat out without spending a lot of money, as in the Souq, you can go to the seaside all winter...when I have to work, I cannot go out more than once - twice a week anyhow!!

if you consider to join Qatar, you might find a lot of positive things if you have a positive attitude.
You're still in the honeymoon phase .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.