Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha- getting in a good compound - how?

Doha- getting in a good compound - how?

Old May 11th 2013, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Bromleyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha- getting in a good compound - how?

Got a car, check
Got a school, check
Villa, erm... Some help from you kind people please...

Is it possible to get a compound villa without going through a third party agent?

I have found some compounds that are in the right place and look fairly smart but whenever I do a google search on them the only results it brIngs up are for agents and the listings are old. The experience I've had with agents so far is that they will bend over backwards to show me the polar opposite of what I've told them I need... I can't hack it any more.

On Friday morning when the traffic was mildly less terrible than normal, I drove to each one i like and got contact details for each of them... But judging by the email addresses, they are all agents... I just want to speak to someone who knows specifically what's coming available on that particular compound... How to I get through to that person?

Thanks
Old May 12th 2013, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Doha- getting in a good compound - how?

Yes you can do it without using an agent. The reason i went for an apartment rather than a villa closer to where i work because i really couldnt bare another lying agent showing me a total shithole.
The advice i got was just to ask around. Ask the security at the gates the owners name and number etc.
Old May 12th 2013, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Yes - the manager of the compound is who you want to speak to - they know what is available etc and are also in contact with the agents who do the paperwork. Other way is to find someone that lives there and get a personal intro - that's what we did.
Old May 12th 2013, 1:57 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bromleyboy
Got a car, check
Got a school, check
Villa, erm... Some help from you kind people please...

Is it possible to get a compound villa without going through a third party agent?

I have found some compounds that are in the right place and look fairly smart but whenever I do a google search on them the only results it brIngs up are for agents and the listings are old. The experience I've had with agents so far is that they will bend over backwards to show me the polar opposite of what I've told them I need... I can't hack it any more.

On Friday morning when the traffic was mildly less terrible than normal, I drove to each one i like and got contact details for each of them... But judging by the email addresses, they are all agents... I just want to speak to someone who knows specifically what's coming available on that particular compound... How to I get through to that person?

Thanks
Have a look at the Gulf Times Classified Ads. Today (Sunday) is usually a good day for accommodation.
Old May 13th 2013, 11:22 am
Just Joined

LMMB2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

We found that just driving up to security and asking to speak to manager...then they were able to show us available villas on compounds. That is how we found our villa. So did not use an agent.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving from our current compound to another one and as has been previously stated we drove around and spoke to security and asked for the compound managers contact number. Most of the time security were able to tell us if anything was available and sometimes we were told to try xyz compound as they knew they had availability.

We also were given the name of a lady who works with several landlords and she was excellent and does not charge you anything. At the time what she had did not suit our needs. If you want, can PM you her name and number.
Old May 14th 2013, 3:00 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Agents here charge the landlord not the tenant. Anything they get from you is a bonus. Mine wanted 10k a polite F off and 2k offered was enough.