Doha GC

Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha GC

Can't sleep so thought I would put the time to good use and ask yet another question.

Is anybody a member of the club? How difficult is it to become a member and how friendly is it. Are ther many comps? Do they have societies or corporate memberships? Does it help that I have a handicap cert from my last club in Riyadh?

Desperate for a game as have not played for 4 weeks, my biggest problem is that my clubs are still in the shipping container
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:12 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha GC

Originally Posted by MaserMan
Can't sleep so thought I would put the time to good use and ask yet another question.

Is anybody a member of the club? How difficult is it to become a member and how friendly is it. Are ther many comps? Do they have societies or corporate memberships? Does it help that I have a handicap cert from my last club in Riyadh?

Desperate for a game as have not played for 4 weeks, my biggest problem is that my clubs are still in the shipping container
No idea, but a work colleague is a member of the Mesaieed Golf Club and talks highly of it.

[J]
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of stuff going on down the golf club . Membership is expensive and tee times are difficult to get but it's a cracking course and it as a good academy course as well .

It's worth dropping them a line and going down to have a look around , good little bar in there as well called Spikes .

http://www.dohagolfclub.com/
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

Have been to the pro shop a few times when I was visiting to buy clubs as the selection in Riyadh was not great.

Did not realise you could use the bar if you were not a member, gets better and better!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

Have been to the pro shop a few times when I was visiting to buy clubs as the selection in Riyadh was not great.

Did not realise you could use the bar if you were not a member, gets better and better!
The bar is quite nice , it's got a big decked terrace outside overlooking the fairway .

Good way to spend a Friday afternoon , do a nice bit of food and a bit of a brunch in there as well .
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The bar is quite nice , it's got a big decked terrace outside overlooking the fairway .

Good way to spend a Friday afternoon , do a nice bit of food and a bit of a brunch in there as well .
This bar...do they let wimmin in, what what General?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saudiflares
This bar...do they let wimmin in, what what General?
Only in short skirts lol

That comment may get some people riled!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:27 am
Just Joined

SMNewport is an unknown quantity at this point

I am coming to Doha to live and work in 3-weeks time and will also be looking for a game. I have played Doha GC (Academy) and can vouch for it's condition. If you want to play 18 together just let me know; I also intend using the practice facilities there too. Scott
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:45 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SMNewport
I am coming to Doha to live and work in 3-weeks time and will also be looking for a game. I have played Doha GC (Academy) and can vouch for it's condition. If you want to play 18 together just let me know; I also intend using the practice facilities there too. Scott
Welcome mate, I see you have now found the right 'bored'

When the weather changes I am free every afternoon to play.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britexpat76

When the weather changes I am free every afternoon to play.
It cool already, it will be jumper time soon!

Can you play as a non-member?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

seochris is an unknown quantity at this point

Would that be far away from Dammam? Would it be possible to go there from Saudi and if so how and how long would it take?

Maybe moving to Saudi in a month or so and a complete golf-aholic...need to play so eager to sort this out before i take the plunge and comit. Any advice fellas?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seochris
Would that be far away from Dammam? Would it be possible to go there from Saudi and if so how and how long would it take?

Maybe moving to Saudi in a month or so and a complete golf-aholic...need to play so eager to sort this out before i take the plunge and comit. Any advice fellas?
Hi,

Doha is in Qatar, so not that far by plane, less than an hour.

With regard to courses around Dammam, I played over there once a number of years ago but it was on a desert course, there may be a grass course now but not sure. I was based in Riyadh and was a member at Dirab, good challenging 18 hole grass course.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Doha is in Qatar, so not that far by plane, less than an hour.

With regard to courses around Dammam, I played over there once a number of years ago but it was on a desert course, there may be a grass course now but not sure. I was based in Riyadh and was a member at Dirab, good challenging 18 hole grass course.
Dirab is a brilliant track. Best in ksa. The gulf tour visits next month. Spoke to a pro at al ain golf club who's going. All the pros looking forward to something different to UAE clubs
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Dirab is a brilliant track. Best in ksa. The gulf tour visits next month. Spoke to a pro at al ain golf club who's going. All the pros looking forward to something different to UAE clubs
There is also Riyadh Greens which has an excellent club house but I find the course less of a challenge. That may change as they have an excellent pro there who I believe will get more involved with the course and how it is prepared.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

The joys of the Middle East and relying on somebody else to do what was promised.

Our container is still in Riyadh and the shipping company will not give me their bank details so that I can pay to bet the bloody thing here. Looks like golf is not going to be happening in the next 3 - 4 weeks.

Just checked the Doha GC website to find out how much membership will be. Ouch, it has jumped at least 3000 riyals since I last looked several months ago. This will be the biggest problem until they build another grass course here, no competition so charge what they want. Don't even know if another golf club is in the pipeline!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.