Doha bound

Old May 12th 2012, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doha bound

After 2 years in Riyadh we are now coming to Doha.

Other than the perennial school problem the other issue that has raised its head is accommodation. Part of the package was a furnished 4 bed villa on a compound, however now in my latest chat with HR they have flagged up the possibility that they will not have suitable accommodation available and have suggested that I should consider taking the allowance which is 12k and from research I have done that seems to be on the low side for a good compound villa.

My question therefore is are there decent villas to be had for that sort of money and is it normal for companies to not go out and arrange for company villas themselves. It seems to be a bit of a cheap shot.

Other question is about golf. Have played at Doha before but was wondering if there are any expat golf societies that you can join to have a regular game and get to know people.
Old May 13th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha bound

Originally Posted by MaserMan

Other than the perennial school problem the other issue that has raised its head is accommodation. Part of the package was a furnished 4 bed villa on a compound, however now in my latest chat with HR they have flagged up the possibility that they will not have suitable accommodation available and have suggested that I should consider taking the allowance which is 12k and from research I have done that seems to be on the low side for a good compound villa.

My question therefore is are there decent villas to be had for that sort of money and is it normal for companies to not go out and arrange for company villas themselves. It seems to be a bit of a cheap shot.

Other question is about golf. Have played at Doha before but was wondering if there are any expat golf societies that you can join to have regulargame and get to know people.
You'll get a good compound villa for 12K and even some stand alones for that price and it's normal for an allowance to be given.You're much better off with the money as you can choose to live in what part of town suits you.

I play the Academy course at Doha golf club as it's just easier to get tee times and you can also play at night which is good with the weather and being at work , it's not cheap though but that's par for the course if you excuse the pun !

It's a nice club but they've just stopped the booze on the course as two local gentleman apparently got rat arsed and had several incidents negotiating themselves back to their abode !

Last edited by co durham boy; May 13th 2012 at 4:05 am.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:03 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You'll get a good compound villa for 12K and even some stand alones for that price and it's normal for an allowance to be given.You're much better off with the money as you can choose to live in what part of town suits you.

I play the Academy course at Doha golf club as it's just easier to get tee times and you can also play at night which is good with the weather and being at work , it's not cheap though but that's par for the course if you excuse the pun !

It's a nice club but they've just stopped the booze on the course as two local gentleman apparently got rat arsed and had several incidents negotiating themselves back to their abode !
I am just looking at Villa's now and have found several being offered at 13k that i have negotiated down to 11 on nice compounds with pool, gym etc. You could probably save the agents fees by just turning up at the compounds and asking security for the landlords number, something I sohould of done. I haven't played the golf course yet but sold a car to the pro there last week so I am expecting a round soon.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

12k is on the lower limit you need to add 1k for utilities. It is not unusual to be given an allowance.
Old May 13th 2012, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
12k is on the lower limit you need to add 1k for utilities. It is not unusual to be given an allowance.
Are you talking about 1K a month as the company has talked about nearer 300/month for utilities.
Old May 14th 2012, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about 1K a month as the company has talked about nearer 300/month for utilities.
Bigger the villa bigger the cost . Central A.C will cost you more through district cooling , if you want to keep the cost down go for a split A.C villa . I pay no more than 700 QAR a month for utilities for a 4 bedroom villa .

12K will get you a decent compound villa in Qatar . I don't buy that 12K is at the lower end but that all depends on your sense of entitlement .

My advice is have a look around at the areas and everything that is available then make your mind up .

I don't see the point in paying over the odds for rental property in Qatar because the choice can be limited , you really need to jump into the 16,000 - 20,000 bracket to see any real difference and if you're working for an outfit that foots the bill then fine .

12K will get you a 4 bedroom / maids room with all facilities in a pretty new compound in Al Waab
Old May 14th 2012, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Other question is about golf. Have played at Doha before but was wondering if there are any expat golf societies that you can join to have a regular game and get to know people.
If you lived on a compound like Kingdom in Riyadh, be prepared for a bit of a let down...on all fronts.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alexa
If you lived on a compound like Kingdom in Riyadh, be prepared for a bit of a let down...on all fronts.
Doha is a let down......
Old May 14th 2012, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

After Riyadh there is no way Doha can be a let down.

Better drivers, less roadworks, not as much traffic....

It is all down to perception I suppose.
Old May 15th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Doha is like Vegas after Riyadh mate !
Old May 15th 2012, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Doha is like Vegas after Riyadh mate !
Old May 15th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought.....
Old May 15th 2012, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

hell ya.....if you are coming from KSA - then doha is a frigging paradise....on the other hand doha compared to dubai....well there is no comparison.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

It's a good job that Dubai is not one of my favourite places Much prefer Abu Dhabi.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good job that Dubai is not one of my favourite places Much prefer Abu Dhabi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.