Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha Accommodation?

Doha Accommodation?

Old May 11th 2006, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Doha Accommodation?

Help.
Been offered 2 jobs, one in Dubai and one in Doha, Qatar.
Originally we wanted Dubai, but have since been swayed to Doha (better position in a company) but can we find accommodation? Na.
Hubby is due to fly out next month, I will follow with 2 of our boys and hop back n forth between NZ and Doha (hopefully) so he is looking for a 2 bed furnished apartment.
Done every Google search I can think of, sent off enquiries, but silence!
Help, anyone know any good sites?
Thanks
Old May 11th 2006, 10:38 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha Accommodation?

Originally Posted by Rascal
Help.
Originally we wanted Dubai, but have since been swayed to Doha (better position in a company) but can we find accommodation? Na.
Hubby is due to fly out next month, I will follow with 2 of our boys and hop back n forth between NZ and Doha (hopefully) so he is looking for a 2 bed furnished apartment.
Thanks
expatwoman.com

qatarliving.com

or ***********.com

goodluck ...

Last edited by novita77; May 11th 2006 at 10:52 am.
Old May 11th 2006, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

try

www.gulf-times.com classified section for housing/accommodation

look for either apollo agency or better homes agency, heard good things about both.

Good Luck
Old May 11th 2006, 12:27 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Help.
Thanks
Yup...........ure going to needs a lot of good luck Im afraid. Accomodation is a bit of a sensitive issue in Doha at the mo......

I think the Gulf Times classifieds r def the best.......

Good Luck!!
Old May 11th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks.
I hear its a sore point at the moment with the Asian Games coming up, have e-mailed the company to see what they can do, no accommodation = no job!
Will check out the Gulf Times and see what I can find, probably draw blanks.
Has anyone heard of a company called Homes2Rent? (think its run by a British woman) have sent 2 enquiries off now and so far, no response.
Thanks anyway.
Old May 12th 2006, 7:53 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks.
I hear its a sore point at the moment with the Asian Games coming up, have e-mailed the company to see what they can do, no accommodation = no job!
Has anyone heard of a company called Homes2Rent? (think its run by a British woman) have sent 2 enquiries off now and so far, no response.
Thanks anyway.
Yes have heard of Homes2Rent and theres loads others. I think if u make a search on real estate in Doha a lot of companies will come up. Its the prices thats the prob. Ridiculous prices indeed. Your husband should deal with his employer about this. A lot of companies offer their employees accomodation. Thats def the best way to go about it.
Old May 12th 2006, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

mampq is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks folks.
Thanks anyway.

Don't bother with Homes2 Rent. They are rude and and hopeless. They used to have the monopoly on the rental market in Doha. Even when you go to the office they can''t be bothered to help you.
Old May 12th 2006, 11:25 am
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by mampq
Don't bother with Homes2 Rent. They are rude and and hopeless. They used to have the monopoly on the rental market in Doha. Even when you go to the office they can''t be bothered to help you.
I agree Mampg. DH had a very bad experience wt them. V rude esp the Manager or owner or whoever she is....
Old May 12th 2006, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
I agree Mampg. DH had a very bad experience wt them. V rude esp the Manager or owner or whoever she is....
That'll be Maggie!

The only thing I wil say in favour of homes2rent and similar set ups is that you could arrange yourself a short term (but v expensive) rental for the meantime if you wished to get out and then look for something locally.

I woud not recommend entering into leases until you were more familiar with where you wanted to be anyway. As long as you are happy with paying the expected 6-8k QR pcm for a furnished appartment for the family then it might be helpful to take a room on for 5k or so for a month without having to sign a lease whilst your husband finds something appropriate for the family.

Homes2rent and several other companies will rent out rooms in villas on a monthly basis which whilst very expensive is often the answer to your specific problem of immediate relocation without paying hotel rates if your employer wont provide accommodation whilst he sets up.
Old May 12th 2006, 6:22 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
That'll be Maggie!

The only thing I wil say in favour of homes2rent and similar set ups is that you could arrange yourself a short term (but v expensive) rental for the meantime if you wished to get out and then look for something locally.

I woud not recommend entering into leases until you were more familiar with where you wanted to be anyway. As long as you are happy with paying the expected 6-8k QR pcm for a furnished appartment for the family then it might be helpful to take a room on for 5k or so for a month without having to sign a lease whilst your husband finds something appropriate for the family.

Homes2rent and several other companies will rent out rooms in villas on a monthly basis which whilst very expensive is often the answer to your specific problem of immediate relocation without paying hotel rates if your employer wont provide accommodation whilst he sets up.

Yes thats def an idea. Looking in the daily Gulf times will give u rough idea of the prices. Getting higher every month Also u will tend to find that stand alone villas r cheaper than compounds.

GOOD LUCK wt yr search. I know sooo many ppl in yr exact situation and if its not the accomodation its the schooling. Geeeeex

Malt xxx
Old May 12th 2006, 6:44 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

do u know when u call the agent first question will be asking who your hubby working for?

MAERSK, Halliburton, Oxy, Finna, Bachtel, etc etc ... from there they will know how much your budget will be. If you company unknown, they not even bother to entertain u.
Old May 13th 2006, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

Different housing allowances for different levels of employees for those companies tho. Someone in one level of management has a different housing allowance to someone in another. Or even an employee in different departments or even from different home countries. Best off saying that your housing is in a ballpark region (your choice what you say), just say you would prefer not to mention your husband's company.

Try Gail or Debbie at Better Homes, it used to be Fikhri (sp?), both Brit ladies, very pleasant and will try to do their best for you.

Homes2Rent never even got back to us after 3 attempts at email or calling. Finally DH's company rang them and they were very standoffish to the point of rude.

I think the lady at Apollo is called Margaret, tho not sure.
Old May 16th 2006, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mampq
Thanks, was coming to that conclusion about them as well, Have sent 3 enquiries off to them now and not once have they acknowledged our e-mails. Sent another one off today and within 2 hours had a reply back saying they had two apartments near the Old Airport 1 bed and 2 bed furnished, 6500QR and 7500QR, although not sure what else that may include if anything.
The company have arranged temporary accommodation when my hubby gets there, but we are hoping to push for accommodation rather than allowance.
I am just going for the sun! lol It is freezing here in NZ at moment, low of 1 degree!
Old May 16th 2006, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Malteser
Yeh it says on the website Maggie a Brit, so we though Oh right, she'll be good to deal with. Wrong! Must have enough money then to not need to run her business anymore or maybe she is just choosy lol Oh well, three e-mail and enquiries is enough in my book, no reply, move on.
The company is a Canadian firm who have just set up in Qatar 6 months ago, but already in Oman, Bahrain and Dubai, so probably unknown to most rental companies yet.
Old May 16th 2006, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

How are you all finding life in Qatar btw?
Cheap? Boring? Too hot?
Still, it must be better than living in NZ lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.