Doha

Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

twinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant future
Default Doha

Hello

My husbands job will be taking us all out to Doha probably July/August time and I have so many questions to ask!

We will be bringing our 18 month old twins with us and I wonder how they will cope with the heat. My OH will be working a 60 hour/6 day week :scared: and I worry about how I'm going to fill my days.

We have done a 2 year stint in Nigeria (although that was before kids) and I'm sure that Doha is much more pleasant than that was but I was pretty miserable in Nigeria and am dreading the same thing happening again.

Are there many wives out there? And lots of activities going on? How do the locals treat females? My OH keeps telling me that it will be fine because women are allowed to drive and there are so many ex-pats about but is it still necessary to keep covered up?

Our house is on a compound with just 5 other houses. Is security an issue or is Doha a safe place to live? Our last posting had us surrounded by razor wire and armed security guards!

Thank you for reading my waffle. My head is so full of things to organise that I don't know where to start!

Claire
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:10 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doha

Originally Posted by twinmum
Hello

My husbands job will be taking us all out to Doha probably July/August time and I have so many questions to ask!

We will be bringing our 18 month old twins with us and I wonder how they will cope with the heat. My OH will be working a 60 hour/6 day week :scared: and I worry about how I'm going to fill my days.

We have done a 2 year stint in Nigeria (although that was before kids) and I'm sure that Doha is much more pleasant than that was but I was pretty miserable in Nigeria and am dreading the same thing happening again.

Are there many wives out there? And lots of activities going on? How do the locals treat females? My OH keeps telling me that it will be fine because women are allowed to drive and there are so many ex-pats about but is it still necessary to keep covered up?

Our house is on a compound with just 5 other houses. Is security an issue or is Doha a safe place to live? Our last posting had us surrounded by razor wire and armed security guards!

Thank you for reading my waffle. My head is so full of things to organise that I don't know where to start!

Claire
Hi Claire

There are a few girls I know of on here from Doha - Malteser and Novita77 - hopefully they can tell you all you need to know. Novita is currently on hols though. I have just visited Doha once and it will be much better than Nigeria I imagine. I have a lot of colleagues that travel there and they all hate it.

Good luck with your move
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

miss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud ofmiss behave has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Hi Claire

There are a few girls I know of on here from Doha - Malteser and Novita77 - hopefully they can tell you all you need to know. Novita is currently on hols though. I have just visited Doha once and it will be much better than Nigeria I imagine. I have a lot of colleagues that travel there and they all hate it.

Good luck with your move
i'm assuming that Miss Eck was referring to colleagues hating nigeria, not doha! (ME, correct me if i'm wrong)! i haven't actually been to qatar but there seem to be some people on this forum who constantly defend and 'big up' doha! you could do worse!

i dont believe you need to cover up - from what i've heard it's very similar to 'western' dubai about 10 years ago - again, anyone out there, please correct me if i'm wrong!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple folks on here that are there....and although the faq is mostly DxB orientated, there are some links and info about Qatar that you might find handy...

And it ain't a bad place, my sister liked it, things to do and all that, but don't miff anyone off high up *l*
Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:33 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Claire

You can never know the temperature of water unless you put your own finger into it!

having said that, In life we have choices and many times we don't. Qatar is a great country like any other country in the end it will all come down to you as what you like the most.

For the heat, its going to be tough as you wont have much of outdoor life for 6months straight in a year.

Your life is in a BIGGER danger living in a compound with other expats than outside of it!

I highly recomend for you not to live in the compound, My girlfriends neighbour in a compound was like a war zone just like Baghdad.

Becoz each expat was trying to show off to other that they have MORE than Them; in terms of material and life! (you can also read that clearly between the lines in gossip site and mum sites)

Each one was complaining to one another about their Dogs or Cat!

Two housewives wanted to kill each other becoz one was sleeping with the husband of the other.

Finally my girlfriend deceided to move in a area surrounded by Locals.(UAE Nationals)

And she loves it.

the locals send food to her home, kids playing outside... finally she is content with life.

Last edited by CasaNova; Apr 20th 2006 at 6:37 am.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Each one was complaining to one another about their Dogs or Cat!

Two housewives wanted to kill each other becoz one was sleeping with the husband of the other.

And she loves it.
Im 100% behind you on that....And really hope I could read your blog soon bud.....
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:13 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Claire

Hello TwinMom and Welcome to the forum

Doha isnt such a bad place to live. In fact it a very family orientated place. Its also very safe. My kids play out in the street. Somethng I would never let them do back at home. Expat women dont cover at all. We drive and do pretty much the same things we are used to back in our own countries. U just have to get used to being stared at. Its harmless, noone will dare touch u. Its a matter of attracting attention thing and u will evetually get used to it. The locals r actually very friendly ppl. They tend to keep to themselves in a way.

There are a lot of expats here and the number is increasing by the month. Its such a relief to see so many westerners lately. When I arrived here I used to be the only western woman in a shop, now suddenly we are all over the place, which is great. Theres loads to do if u. A lot of mother and baby clubs. A lot of activities for the kids. All kinds of sports. I dont think u will be bored. If u have friends here then u will def be happy. Ppl r soo friendly. Also very genuine. Different nationalities and cultures. It is very ineresting.

Personally we live in a stand alone villa. We would have loved a nice compound wt all the facilities but the rent is so ridiculous that we cannot afford that. Cos a lot of ppl are arriving in DOha and theres not enough housing for everyone the landlords have put up the rents so high. We feel quiet safe living like this. Mind u living in a compound has its ups and downs.

In the end its what u make of it and what your expectations are. Personally if the DH and the kids are happy then Im happy. I have friends and I lead a good life.

Anything else u need to know please go ahead and ask.

Clare (too) xxxxx
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:29 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh forgot to add this

Pls have a look at these sites

expatwoman.com
***********.com

One is strictly informative, other is more chatty. Theres some of us on there. We're a friendly bunch honest.

Malt xxxx
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Mellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to beholdMellie66 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Malteser
Ahhh forgot to add this

Pls have a look at these sites

expatwoman.com
***********.com

One is strictly informative, other is more chatty. Theres some of us on there. We're a friendly bunch honest.

Malt xxxx
***********.com (no space)
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:56 am
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by Mellie66
***********.com (no space)
Thnx Mellie66......just saw that one....
Old Apr 24th 2006, 4:55 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss behave
i'm assuming that Miss Eck was referring to colleagues hating nigeria, not doha! (ME, correct me if i'm wrong)! i haven't actually been to qatar but there seem to be some people on this forum who constantly defend and 'big up' doha! you could do worse!

i dont believe you need to cover up - from what i've heard it's very similar to 'western' dubai about 10 years ago - again, anyone out there, please correct me if i'm wrong!
Yes, was referring to people hating Nigeria not Doha. Doha does sound like it has a good community and is definetely an up and coming place.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Yes, was referring to people hating Nigeria not Doha. Doha does sound like it has a good community and is definetely an up and coming place.
Up and coming.......Now thats happenning.....
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:39 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by shoushou
Up and coming.......Now thats happenning.....
Meaning

U always manage to confuse the hell out of me
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Malteser
Meaning

U always manage to confuse the hell out of me
Youre over 18.....You should get it no questions asked.....
Mad???!!!!????? Hmmmmm......
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:42 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Originally Posted by shoushou
Youre over 18.....You should get it no questions asked.....
Mad???!!!!????? Hmmmmm......
Well english is not my first language

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.