Dogs in Dubai...

Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

jayne29 is a jewel in the roughjayne29 is a jewel in the roughjayne29 is a jewel in the roughjayne29 is a jewel in the roughjayne29 is a jewel in the rough
Default Dogs in Dubai...

Evening all...

I have tried searching this topic but not much is coming up so time to pick your brains!

I'm moving over to Dubai next week. i'll be staying in temp accomodation until just after Christmas but will then be looking to get my own apartment. I will have a budget of about 120k which i think is ok for a 1 bed place is it?... i'm not too fussed about where i am to be honest, i'd like to be fairly close to the DIFC which is where i'll be working. I don't mean right next door although that would be ideal!, but just not too far where I'll have to sit in hours of traffic every day. Problem is i have a dog, not a huge beast, hes only a spaniel, but i know that the options are limited as to where i can live.

Does anyone know of anywhere which takes dogs, and is not too far from where i'll be working?... and ideally have some grenery so he won't be too homesick! i have a funny feeling im going to have a few issues with this...

thanks for any help

Jayne
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:14 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs in Dubai...

apartment living and dogs in my opinion doesn't work. Most of the apartments won't allow dogs anyway. Is there no one you could leave your dog with at home? 120 allowance should get you something either near Mall of the Emirates or in the TECOM area.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

I have springer spaniels inthe Uk and there is no way i could bring them here, there is very few places to let them off for a good run. Is there no one at home could take him in for you, get settled here and if you find the right place then bring him over? I have adopted two Lhasa Apso's here and it is hard enough find somewhere to take them - good job they dont need much walking!
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Please don't bring a lovely Springer Spaniel here. It is definitely NOT dog friendly (an Islamic thing), there are very few open spaces that allow dogs to run about and the climate is horrible for a thick coated creature.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

jayne29 is a jewel in the roughjayne29 is a jewel in the roughjayne29 is a jewel in the roughjayne29 is a jewel in the roughjayne29 is a jewel in the rough

:cry_s mile:

Thanks for your replies...

He is a clumber spaniel, so not as mental as a springer but still very active.

I'm so 50/50 what to do. My mum and dad will be looking after him whilst i come here and get settled and find a place etc. But then i was hoping to bring him out. I know it's important i do whats right for him, and not think of myself, but i do love him... and i just can't imagine leaving him behind.

How do other dog owners cope?... is it really that bad?...

i'm dreading your replies! but i know i need to decide soon

Thanks all
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayne29
Evening all...

I have tried searching this topic but not much is coming up so time to pick your brains!

I'm moving over to Dubai next week. i'll be staying in temp accomodation until just after Christmas but will then be looking to get my own apartment. I will have a budget of about 120k which i think is ok for a 1 bed place is it?... i'm not too fussed about where i am to be honest, i'd like to be fairly close to the DIFC which is where i'll be working. I don't mean right next door although that would be ideal!, but just not too far where I'll have to sit in hours of traffic every day. Problem is i have a dog, not a huge beast, hes only a spaniel, but i know that the options are limited as to where i can live.

Does anyone know of anywhere which takes dogs, and is not too far from where i'll be working?... and ideally have some grenery so he won't be too homesick! i have a funny feeling im going to have a few issues with this...

thanks for any help

Jayne
Easy to take care of the greenery part...Just have a piece of bush handy and keep it in front of the dog's face when you're on the street...All will be fine...
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so 50/50 what to do. My mum and dad will be looking after him whilst i come here and get settled and find a place etc. But then i was hoping to bring him out. I know it's important i do whats right for him, and not think of myself, but i do love him... and i just can't imagine leaving him behind.

Thanks all
Recently I read that there was a small dog for sale...I think his or her name was Gucci...
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 2:57 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all
We have 2 dogs here and they are fine, but all depends on where you will be living ie villa or apartment and area
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:45 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the type of dogs. Gun dogs are a no-no unless you can allocate lots of time to exercise, which would mean very early in the morning. If you live in the city it would mean a drive out to the desert etc,

Practically it aint gonna work. We had a cocker spaniel here, but as I worked away and my wife could not exercise the dog enough (working and pregnant) we had to give him away.

Sorry but if you can't give him exercise, and believe me if its just you and you work full time, you aint gonna have time. Its cruel to take him here.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 8:52 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Evening all...

thanks for any help

Jayne
Your housing budget will only get you an apartment and most apartment buildings do not allow dogs at all so unless you want to find yourself a villa and pay a lot more you shouldn't think about bringing a dog out here.

Also, your dog will probably be happier in the UK with the climate and will receive more attention than being stuck at home waiting for you while you rush through the traffic...

N.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

We have recently moved over and have brought our two dogs.
We took a one bedroom apartment in Old Town with a massive garden. The development is pet friendly, we have made arrangements with the maid to walk our dogs during the day. At present they stay outside, in summer they will stay inside. The apartment is fully tiled throughout so suitable for dogs and the garden has a gate that leads directly onto the path ways and gardens which all also full of dogs. We originally looked at a two bedroom out at the springs but went for the one bedroom in Old Town as we liked the location better. There are plently of people there with dogs. We weighed up all the pros and cons but at the end of the day we felt as long as we could provide them with a decent environment, in our case the dogs would be happier here with us then left behind at home.
The only problem I see in your situation is the budget. To get a similar apartment (and there are a few available at the moment) you would need a base budget of at around 160,000 - 180,000, plus your 5% deposit and 5% comission. I have the contact details of several agents who were very helpful if you would like them.
If you are attached to your dog and want to bring him it is certainly harder, but not impossible, and there are plently here. At the end of the day there is nothing nicer than in a strange country than coming home to two wagging tails. Would definitely advise leaving him at home first though until you get settled and organised and then get him sent out.
good luck!!
Good
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrskpd
We have recently moved over and have brought our two dogs.
We took a one bedroom apartment in Old Town with a massive garden. The development is pet friendly, we have made arrangements with the maid to walk our dogs during the day. At present they stay outside, in summer they will stay inside. The apartment is fully tiled throughout so suitable for dogs and the garden has a gate that leads directly onto the path ways and gardens which all also full of dogs. We originally looked at a two bedroom out at the springs but went for the one bedroom in Old Town as we liked the location better. There are plently of people there with dogs. We weighed up all the pros and cons but at the end of the day we felt as long as we could provide them with a decent environment, in our case the dogs would be happier here with us then left behind at home.
The only problem I see in your situation is the budget. To get a similar apartment (and there are a few available at the moment) you would need a base budget of at around 160,000 - 180,000, plus your 5% deposit and 5% comission. I have the contact details of several agents who were very helpful if you would like them.
If you are attached to your dog and want to bring him it is certainly harder, but not impossible, and there are plently here. At the end of the day there is nothing nicer than in a strange country than coming home to two wagging tails. Would definitely advise leaving him at home first though until you get settled and organised and then get him sent out.
good luck!!
Good
cool, what kind of dogs are they?

and also its fine if you have a full time maid. The majority dont. Yours is a 1 bed?? where does the maid stay? in the kennel outside??rofl:
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

Small, active dogs that like to run around. Jack Russell and Pug cross. They have moved to 3 different locations in Australia with us so are well adapted.
And no, we don't have a full time maid! The complex has a maid service that you can use on a pay per use basis. At the moment we only get them to come for an hour during the day if we are both going to be out for a long day, the dogs are outside the rest of the time. In summer I imagine we will get them to come every day to let them out and walk them
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:05 am
Just Joined

plucky is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just brought my dog over from the UK to Dubai. He is a Westie and has adapted absolutely fine.
Everyone said don't do it, but the reality is that Dubai is nowhere near as unfriendly to dogs as people would presume.
When we looked for apartments four months ago, we visited seven and only one of these said dogs were not allowed.
We now live on the 16th floor and taking him up and down in the lifts to do his business is not an issue.
We live in Dubai Marina and there is the whole of Marina Walk (4km I think) to take him along. There are also plenty of other dog owners doing the same thing.
There are also vets, groomers and kennels.
You can also get dog walkers to come in and take care of the pet for an hour or so each day if you are worried about leaving it while at work.
Provided you have the right sort of dog (ie not a red setter or such) then Dubai is fine.
I hope this helps.
Old Apr 17th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

BorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really niceBorderTart is just really nice

I have my Border Terrier here in Springs, which is fab for dogs as it is very green but unfortunately out of your price range.

The summer is murder for dogs, my one gets sore paws from the heat of the paving and he can only manage short walks before lying down exhausted.

You must walk your dog on a lead - it is illegal not to do so - and I am sure that a spaniel will miss the freedom of a run around. Dogs are also banned from the beaches.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.