Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Does Western educated mean white skin for best salaries?

Does Western educated mean white skin for best salaries?

Old May 12th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light
Default Does Western educated mean white skin for best salaries?

Born, raised and educated in the UK but i am not white, ethnic origin is African, European, Iranian and Arab, so basically i look like i could be from anywhere. Where does this leave me in the Salary food chain?

I know that western educated expats are paid most after the Emiratis.
Apologist for Dubai have told me that this is only because they pay according to what they would get in their home country.
Accusers of Dubai have said that western educated actually means white skin,

Who is right and what does this mean for my salary prospects in Dubai? As i have been offered a job in Saudi with a very good salary but i am not keen on working there.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does Western educated mean white skin for best salaries?

Sadly, Dubai is one of the most racist places you will find anywhere in the world. Not only are non-whites penalised in the workplace but also at the doors to nightclubs, waiting outside for taxis, in restaurants and even in shopping malls. However, if you can get yourself a decent job, it has to be better than working in Saudi, so good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Sadly, Dubai is one of the most racist places you will find anywhere in the world. Not only are non-whites penalised in the workplace but also at the doors to nightclubs, waiting outside for taxis, in restaurants and even in shopping malls. However, if you can get yourself a decent job, it has to be better than working in Saudi, so good luck and let us know the outcome.
Unless you are a womanising, drug-dealing alcoholic, Saudi is fine.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:55 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Us pale faces are also discriminated against - certainly in my office.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light

But i would also add that the racism that Indians etc complain about often comes from other Indians, eg Taxis are mostly South Asians, Night clubs are owned by Indians. I have found that most Gulf Arabs are really friendly towards me, although on occasion i have noticed the tone change when they find out i do not speak Arabic.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Us pale faces are also discriminated against - certainly in my office.
What type of discrimination have you faced, and what is the predominant ethnic group in your work place? My advise, as someone who has walked into skin head pub in Essex and been accepted( well they did'nt kick the shite out of me) is stand your ground, sooner or later personality and skill will overcome prejudice.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:13 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Worldismine
What type of discrimination have you faced, and what is the predominant ethnic group in your work place? My advise, as someone who has walked into skin head pub in Essex and been accepted( well they did'nt kick the shite out of me) is stand your ground, sooner or later personality and skill will overcome prejudice.
You are so wrong about that.

Try working with predominantly Egyptian management and you'd see exactly where I'm coming from.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:16 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

What is you racial background? Was it one to worry about?

Mrs M XX
Old May 12th 2008, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I know that pub.

It's not a far-right-racist-BNP type of place - they were actually members of the Gay Mafia........

..... if you wind them up and annoy them, they come round to your house and criticise your choice of curtains......
Old May 12th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

fsazhar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, from my personal experience of living in Abu Dhabi and being British but of Pakistani Origin working here as a Western Expat I feel people do judge you by your skin, if you look asian , they think you are scum, and must of low ranking job. But when i speak ( i have british accent) they quick realse and change their tone.

e.g. I am a senior manager for Aldar Laing O' Rourke, but 33 years of age and look bit Arabic / pakistani . during first couple of weeks most flipino secataries at work showed bit of attitude and werent very welcoming . Once they found out that I was actually Western expat, they quickly changed their tone and smiling etc.

Plus you also get road rage on road too. So I decided to gettry large 4x4 and Dishdasha ( arab dress) and bravo road rage suddenly dissappeared.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:24 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsazhar
during first couple of weeks most flipino secataries at work showed bit of attitude and werent very welcoming
it is not you. they are all like that because they expect to be paid for sitting on their lazy butts and chatting all day to their mates on msn. heaven forbid you should ask them to do anything.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You are so wrong about that.

Try working with predominantly Egyptian management and you'd see exactly where I'm coming from.
I personally think that the management style of Arabs is out of date, especially when applied to service, tech, info, finance etc industries. Its to do with the culture, how they run their households and how they think authority should be shown.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Dean
I know that pub.

It's not a far-right-racist-BNP type of place - they were actually members of the Gay Mafia........

..... if you wind them up and annoy them, they come round to your house and criticise your choice of curtains......
Ahh, you must be one of their regulars then.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
What is you racial background? Was it one to worry about?

Mrs M XX
My background is mixed, i have Mauritian, french, persian and Arab roots.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

No one has actually answered me. Should i expect a salary comparable to what i would be getting in the UK? Or will they say no your not white so we will not give you that salary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.