British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Does Skype work in KSA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/does-skype-work-ksa-674967/)

chalky1 Jul 3rd 2010 12:38 am

Does Skype work in KSA?

Hello

possibly being posted to Dammam, will Skype work there? It work in Abu Dhabi provided you have the software ready installed

I will be grateful if someone could confirm this

coffindodger Jul 3rd 2010 2:59 am

Re: Does Skype work in KSA?

It works ok in Riyadh.

shikra Jul 3rd 2010 5:36 am

Originally Posted by chalky1 (Post 8673979)
Hello

possibly being posted to Dammam, will Skype work there? It work in Abu Dhabi provided you have the software ready installed

It works fine in the Eastern Region too.

Mr Andy Jul 3rd 2010 1:48 pm

Provided you have a connection fast enough (easier said that done in some places in KSA) it works everywhere!

prwatts Jul 3rd 2010 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Andy (Post 8675080)
Provided you have a connection fast enough (easier said that done in some places in KSA) it works everywhere!

It really is the World Wide Wait in KSA.
Skype is fine for typing.
It is often ok for voice but forget video unless you are in an embassy.
3G sux, don't waste your money - mine is usually running at 100 b/s no k or m, seriously. Terrible dissappointment
The best time is very early in the morning because ME is asleep and so is EU.
Fridays is usually ok too.
But skype and skype calls are my main comms with Blighty. Or She Who Must Be Obeyed phones me on the cheap calls from there to here.

norsk Jul 3rd 2010 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by prwatts (Post 8675301)
It really is the World Wide Wait in KSA.
Skype is fine for typing.
It is often ok for voice but forget video unless you are in an embassy.
3G sux, don't waste your money - mine is usually running at 100 b/s no k or m, seriously. Terrible dissappointment
The best time is very early in the morning because ME is asleep and so is EU.
Fridays is usually ok too.
But skype and skype calls are my main comms with Blighty. Or She Who Must Be Obeyed phones me on the cheap calls from there to here.

You're not having much luck in KSA are you Peter? :o

I had a Mobily 3G dongle when I was living in Khobar and it was fine. Connection speed was usually around 4Mbps, but obviously this depends on where you live in relation to the masts...

Skype is fine in Saudi. It is not blocked.

prwatts Jul 3rd 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8675474)
You're not having much luck in KSA are you Peter? :o

I had a Mobily 3G dongle when I was living in Khobar and it was fine. Connection speed was usually around 4Mbps, but obviously this depends on where you live in relation to the masts...

Skype is fine in Saudi. It is not blocked.

I am going to work in Dammam this week - I will see how 3G is there - I have STC but a colleague in Riyadh has Mobily and says it is slow in Riyadh.

freddyc Jul 4th 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by chalky1 (Post 8673979)
Hello

Skype does work here in KSA. Used it in Riyadh, Dammam and Naariyah. Use it in the Mobily 3G network for voice comm and it works perfect.