Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have experience of a UAE bank for business that isn't sh!t?

Does anyone have experience of a UAE bank for business that isn't sh!t?

Old Aug 19th 2013, 12:37 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone have experience of a UAE bank for business that isn't sh!t?

I am trying to move my business accounts from HSBC. Aside from anything else, their internet banking is crap - it only works with Internet Explorer. Apart from IE10, which comes with Win 8 (and has only been out a year or so....).

I have tried setting up with ADCB. They told me it would take 3-4 days once I provided all documents.

That was over a month ago.

I have raised a complaint and called the guy I was dealing with many times. They're completey *****ing incompetent. They tell me there is no problem, they don't need anything else, but nothing ever happens. The complaints line never answer the damn phone, the guy takes 2 hr lunch breaks and knocks off work at 3pm (I don't think he's local, but he seems to act like it).

Two days ago, he called me and said it had been raised to senior management, they would call me 'tomorrow'. Well, needless to say, nobody did.

One of my guys recommended ADIB, he moved his personal accounts there recently. But I'd like to know if anyone has used them for business, as it seems banks here don't seem to run business accounts from normal branches (ADCB doesn't, anyway).

I need to get an account set up within a month, so I can't afford more messing around for useless local banks to do ***** all for the next three weeks before completely ignoring me.

In the civilized world, setting up bank accounts is such a simple thing. I am not sure here if it is the rules that are the problem, or just the general inept monkey level of staff that they get for peanuts wages.

If anyone works for a bank and can vouch for it (I know someone who does, but told me to avoid his bank like an STD), that would be handy too.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 12:46 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have experience of a UAE bank for business that isn't sh!t?

Can I help? I have press contacts at ADCB if you want to get matters sorted with them.

Bank with the best reputation is RAK Bank.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone have experience of a UAE bank for business that isn't sh!t?

I second ADCB - we used them without any problems
Old Aug 19th 2013, 3:21 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

moved from emirates islamic to rakbank and very happy now
internet banking is strong as well and no need to maintain any preset balance etc

the lines are long if you have to stand in que but thats for personal banking, for business accounts you get a preferred desk etc etc

have got the number of the guy who works for rakbank who will come to your place, handle all the paperwork etc and then open the account for you

pm if needed
hope this helped
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:08 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Can I help? I have press contacts at ADCB if you want to get matters sorted with them.

I would appreciate if you do have a contact at ADCB. The complaints form on the ADCB web site now gives an untrapped error, and the only other contact method is an 800 number that does not have any options to actually speak to someone relating to this.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:12 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

Originally Posted by soukie
I second ADCB - we used them without any problems
Was this a business account?

Because I have had personal banking with them for 8 years and not had any problems, which was why it was my first choice when moving our business accounts.

I went to the branch where my account is (mall of emirates) and they apparently don't handle business accounts at branches. So I got sent to some office on SZR upstairs from the sharjah bank next to the Radisson. It all seemed efficient enough when I filled out the forms and the guy asked the normal KYC questions. He needed couple of forms signed by my partner, which I dropped in couple of days later.

Then nada. Squat. When I do get through to them, they blow some smoke up my ass, tell me there isn't any problem, they're working on it, someone will call me, etc. etc.

I don't know if there is a problem and they're not telling me, or if they're just inept. I am leaning towards the latter, having been in the UAE for long enough.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A steel chest full of Maria Theresa Thalers under the bed is the only way. That is how King Abdulaziz used to do it !
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
Was this a business account?

Because I have had personal banking with them for 8 years and not had any problems, which was why it was my first choice when moving our business accounts.

I went to the branch where my account is (mall of emirates) and they apparently don't handle business accounts at branches. So I got sent to some office on SZR upstairs from the sharjah bank next to the Radisson. It all seemed efficient enough when I filled out the forms and the guy asked the normal KYC questions. He needed couple of forms signed by my partner, which I dropped in couple of days later.

Then nada. Squat. When I do get through to them, they blow some smoke up my ass, tell me there isn't any problem, they're working on it, someone will call me, etc. etc.

I don't know if there is a problem and they're not telling me, or if they're just inept. I am leaning towards the latter, having been in the UAE for long enough.
I had a personal account with them and the Company I worked for in AD had a business account.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

we have always used adcb and as a local bank they are pretty good, nbad are good too.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 10:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
I would appreciate if you do have a contact at ADCB. The complaints form on the ADCB web site now gives an untrapped error, and the only other contact method is an 800 number that does not have any options to actually speak to someone relating to this.
You'll need to contact me. I can't give you the person's details as they handle media enquiries only, but can liaise for you. That's what I do for people every week...
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:02 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Deutsche Bank are good. Small team in AD, and they may not be interested in small company business, but I had excellent service from them when my previous company opened an account after getting well pissed off with HSBC. Mind you, it did take them about 3 weeks to open the account despite their promise of a few days, but when it was up and running it was fine. Their bank guarantees service was truly excellent, usually a 1-2 day turnaround; downside is their location if you're downtown, but they do handle guarantee requests electronically.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:46 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

I met the Rakbank guy today (thanks Irishbeekeeper for the contact). All seemed to go ok, but that was true of the ADCB guy I met so I guess I won't know until I get the account details through!