Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do you get UAE public holidays off?

Do you get UAE public holidays off?

Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about
Red face Do you get UAE public holidays off?

My company just refuse to give any of the staff of one particular office ANY of the declared public holidays. They refuse to the give any time lieu or any compensation whatsoever, no extra days on vacation time etc etc.

If you ask, you are branded a trouble maker, listed as the next one to be fired etc.

How shortsighted is this ???

These days it would seem that many companies in the UAE are doing this, but it would be interesting to here what yours does.

Do tell......

Last edited by meseta; Dec 9th 2009 at 7:20 am. Reason: spelling !
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you get UAE public holidays off?

The company is breaking the law. All staff are entitled to take public holidays or days in lieu. It is not the company's decision whether to allow this, but is part of federal law. See first letter and response and perhaps show this to the boss.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ersonalfinance

-
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:15 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meseta View Post
My company just refuse to give any of the staff of one particular office ANY of the declared public holidays. They refuse to the give any time lieu or any compensation whatsoever, no extra days on vacation time etc etc.

If you ask, you are branded a trouble maker, listed as the next one to be fired etc.

These days it would seem that many companies in the UAE are doing this, but it would be interesting to here what yours does.

Do tell......

I love these self destruction policies.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

It's well known to be illegal, but nothing can be done, with this company at least. try and quote the law and you will probably not touch the ground on the way out of the door.

The National had a very good article yesterday on the same subject. Page 22, by Peter Hellyer, entitled "Holiday Blues for workers deprived of their rights"

It's just a shame, and yes, self destruction describes the situation very well. We've had many just depart without any notice.

So does your company allow you public holidays ?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It's well known to be illegal, but nothing can be done, with this company at least. try and quote the law and you will probably not touch the ground on the way out of the door.

The National had a very good article yesterday on the same subject. Page 22, by Peter Hellyer, entitled "Holiday Blues for workers deprived of their rights"

It's just a shame, and yes, self destruction describes the situation very well. We've had many just depart without any notice.

So does your company allow you public holidays ?

So you'll whinge, but do nothing about it? Call the Ministry of Labour and report them. There are laws here and they are enforceable.

-
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Note there's no whinging, simply trying to see how may have the same problem. You obviously don't.

Others probably do.

As regards enforcement of the law; I accept there laws about this subject, but enforcement, don't make me laugh !

So do you get public holidays or not ? That was the question. Nothing else.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Do tell......
its a pity a lot of companies are taking this short sighted view of things , in a nutshell its tough, we all know its against the labour law,look at the big picture,this place can't pay its creditors jack sh*t so the likelihood of any of us minions getting anything is nigh on impossible.
i work for one of the largest construction companies in dubai and its like it or lump it basically.
stick your head over the parapet in tough times and its likely to get blown off.
anyway,you can't do enough for a good firm!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:40 am
Bored liberal

Note there's no whinging, simply trying to see how may have the same problem. You obviously don't.

Others probably do.

As regards enforcement of the law; I accept there laws about this subject, but enforcement, don't make me laugh !

So do you get public holidays or not ? That was the question. Nothing else.

Yes, they can be enforced. I spend time advising and dealing with these issues every week.

As we have said numerous times before, not everyone here is a cowed employee. Some work for themselves; others have the balls to stand up when there is mis-treatment.

-
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:46 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I work for the Government. No issues here
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:49 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Yes, they can be enforced. I spend time advising and dealing with these issues every week.

-
think about what you have just said...

How is the relationship at work going to proceed over the long term if you 'get it enforced'. I can't imagine it will be a very long or fruitful one.

In the UK you would be out on your ear for any other minor breach. I can imagine it would only be worse here.

I never understand why anyone would push the law at their employer. Just bloody leave and go and do something else. You spend over a 1/3 of your life at work, might as well make it enjoyable.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

As we have said numerous times before, not everyone here is a cowed employee. Some work for themselves; others have the balls to stand up when there is mis-treatment.

-
totally agree with that,it also depends on the individual situation as well and the employer and the employers attitude.
a lot of employers play the divide and conquer card and it makes it even more difficult for people to make the 'right' choice
i dont personally have a problem with it, they employ me to get it done, i get it done, end of, thats what i do,thats the industry im in.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

so we have 3 yes, 1 no so far............
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

so we have 3 yes, 1 no so far............
i really wouldnt let it bother you too much actually,the whole lifestyle here is centered round your job and you ability to work and perform at work.
the moment that gets called into question you will have a problem, especially in a major downturn.
i realise its different for different professions and i can only comment on the construction industry,and to be truthful i aint to fussed about islamic new year !
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:15 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
think about what you have just said...

How is the relationship at work going to proceed over the long term if you 'get it enforced'. I can't imagine it will be a very long or fruitful one.

In the UK you would be out on your ear for any other minor breach. I can imagine it would only be worse here.

I never understand why anyone would push the law at their employer. Just bloody leave and go and do something else. You spend over a 1/3 of your life at work, might as well make it enjoyable.
I know perfectly well what I have just said. It's either put up or shut up. Whinging gets people nowhere, either they do something about it, or work elsewhere.

Perhaps you work in a minor capacity so are not needed or valued by your employer so are in no position to stand up to them? Those who are not have a responsibilty to see that the law is fairly enforced.

-
Old Dec 9th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I know perfectly well what I have just said. It's either put up or shut up. Whinging gets people nowhere, either they do something about it, or work elsewhere.

Perhaps you work in a minor capacity so are not needed or valued by your employer so are in no position to stand up to them? Those who are not have a responsibilty to see that the law is fairly enforced.

-
you're self employed then ?

stand corrected

Last edited by co durham boy; Dec 9th 2009 at 10:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.