Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do UAE mobile SIM cards work in the UK?

Do UAE mobile SIM cards work in the UK?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:46 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do UAE mobile SIM cards work in the UK?

Or what?

Answers on a SIM card...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:48 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do UAE mobile SIM cards work in the UK?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Or what?

Answers on a SIM card...
it's quite something isn't it...you travelling abroad...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:50 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
it's quite something isn't it...you travelling abroad...
I know. How will you cope without my presence?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:52 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I know. How will you cope without my presence?
omg....where do I start...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

oh it always drives me nuts, I've never been able to make or send calls and texts using the Etisalat SIM in the UK, but can receive them..

MM, xx
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:25 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Or what?

Answers on a SIM card...
R U Etislat?
if so you can ring them up and they will give you access to make calls abroad as you just connect to the local network. But you have to call em first.
The local network then charges you to receive incoming txts and phone calls at an extorsh rate as well as loading it to make calls ...Mr Star did 300dhs in two days.....
Once your credit has been extracted you cannot top up again from abroad and are ..stuffed.
There is a section on the Etisalat website which explains how to top up from another phone in the abroad section on the web site... but when you read the terms and conditions it says not available from abroad and it does not work coz i tried it anyway......:curse:

Options:
Buy a new phone and sim card abroad...use your hotel phone...use a paybox..if you can find one If not dont bother calling at all ...
Hope that helped!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:31 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
R U Etislat?
if so you can ring them up and they will give you access to make calls abroad as you just connect to the local network. But you have to call em first.
The local network then charges you to receive incoming txts and phone calls at an extorsh rate as well as loading it to make calls ...Mr Star did 300dhs in two days.....
Once your credit has been extracted you cannot top up again from abroad and are ..stuffed.
There is a section on the Etisalat website which explains how to top up from another phone in the abroad section on the web site... but when you read the terms and conditions it says not available from abroad and it does not work coz i tried it anyway......:curse:

Options:
Buy a new phone and sim card abroad...use your hotel phone...use a paybox..if you can find one If not dont bother calling at all ...
Hope that helped!
I do have an UK O2 PAYG sim card, but it has all of 1p on it. I don't know f it will still be usable after 9 months with no charge.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

jebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud of

Are you using Wasel SIM card or post-paid? I take my Wasel back to the UK and dont have any problems with incoming/outgoing calls or texts, and if I need to top up I do it through my internet banking.

If you are on Wasel there is a small booklet available from Etisalat offices with the details on how to call etc.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:36 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by jebelaligardener
Are you using Wasel SIM card or post-paid? I take my Wasel back to the UK and dont have any problems with incoming/outgoing calls or texts, and if I need to top up I do it through my internet banking.

If you are on Wasel there is a small booklet available from Etisalat offices with the details on how to call etc.
Yes, I'm on Wasel. How do you charge it up through Internet Banking?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

jebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud ofjebelaligardener has much to be proud of

I use Emirates Bank - you can add Etisalat numbers on their Payments section and then top up from your current account or credit card. Otherwise try registering on www.eim.ae (think you might have to go to Etisalat) to be able to top up online using your credit card.

When I submitted my leave application, work decided to add international roaming to my company mobile. Very considerate of them!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:42 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

I do have an UK O2 PAYG sim card, but it has all of 1p on it. I don't know f it will still be usable after 9 months with no charge.
Will you let me know if it does work okay. I have not used mine for 2 years and would like to use it when I go home next.

It will probably be a lot cheaper for you to use the UK one, esp if receiving calls as the Etisalat one will eat up all your credit.

Cheers
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:02 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Will you let me know if it does work okay. I have not used mine for 2 years and would like to use it when I go home next.

It will probably be a lot cheaper for you to use the UK one, esp if receiving calls as the Etisalat one will eat up all your credit.

Cheers
you have to buy a new sim card........
cheap as chips .......any phone shop will have one .....or market stall try albert square they always have a cheap market........
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:07 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
you have to buy a new sim card........
cheap as chips .......any phone shop will have one .....or market stall try albert square they always have a cheap market........
cheers .. that is a pain as everyone has my old mobile number
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Try Tescos - they do cheap PAYG
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:09 pm
Here comes the Sun

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
cheers .. that is a pain as everyone has my old mobile number
Are your numbers saved to your sim card

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.