Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do I need to pay NI while working in Abu Dhabi

Do I need to pay NI while working in Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:50 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to pay NI while working in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by BlackCloud
No doubt there are some British citizens looking in on this thread attracted by the header...

So, the only reason UK citizens who are or may return to the Uk sometime would pay NI is for;

1) unemployment benefits if becomes unemployed in the UK or

2) more importantly to get 30 years contributions in the bag so one day a basic state pension will be paid

NI payments are around £450 a year I think

Is this about right?
NI Payments can be helpful if you're going back to use the NHS or claim benefits but given the current and projected future state of UK and other state pensions any expat planning to be here for a year or more should really consider looking at starting their own private pension with the money they save by not paying tax....of course most expats don't because it's more important to live on the palm and drive a luxury car

Well at least the man in the car showroom will retire with some dignity

N.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

fsazhar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zhenhua
Hello,

This is my first thread here. I'm a Chinese and currently working for a UK company. I'm relocating to our Abu Dhabi office next week to enjoy the sunshine and tax-free.
A letter from HR said I still had to pay UK NI contribution for the first year of my assignment. My understanding is I'm not a British citizen and do not work/live in the UK, so why do I need to pay NI?
Any info will be highly appreciated!!
By law if you worked in UK for more than a year, you are required to pay NI for 1 year if you are working abroad. Since you are working for UK employer, they have to ensure that you NI are paid other wise they are liable for it.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Zhenhua is an unknown quantity at this point

Just talked to someone from HR. She said I had to pay no matter I would come back to UK or not. The rate is 11% and my company will not pay that for me. It is so difficult to keep taxmen away from me!

Thanks for all your replies. I've got a better idea of the tax system now.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
NI Payments can be helpful if you're going back to use the NHS or claim benefits but given the current and projected future state of UK and other state pensions any expat planning to be here for a year or more should really consider looking at starting their own private pension with the money they save by not paying tax....of course most expats don't because it's more important to live on the palm and drive a luxury car

Well at least the man in the car showroom will retire with some dignity

N.
Agree in principle with this point. Some salaries here do look attactive but when you consider paying a private pension or savings and keeping up NI payments etc. etc. they are not always as generous as first thought.

I wonder how many people have given up everything in the UK e.g. sold the house, the car etc. to be here and are not paying anything for future provision. On the flip side many guys I know are already getting military or police pensions already paying out in their 40's and 50's.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:39 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

One small point - there aren't really any pensions in the ME/UAE. There are savings schemes, but they aren't anything like the same as UK pension schemes with their tax advantages on contributions or growth.

That said, there are many ways of planning for retirement/the future and anyone who doesn't do anything is sadly just storing up trouble for the future
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

This is my first thread here. I'm a Chinese and currently working for a UK company. I'm relocating to our Abu Dhabi office next week to enjoy the sunshine and tax-free.
A letter from HR said I still had to pay UK NI contribution for the first year of my assignment. My understanding is I'm not a British citizen and do not work/live in the UK, so why do I need to pay NI?
Originally Posted by andrewpops
I went through this with my current employer, if you are transferring overseas, you are still liable for the first year of NI then no obligation afterwards. If you were to transfer your employment to an overseas employer, you have no obligation to pay NI at all.

Check out http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/osc.htm - specifically

Workers who are sent to work abroad by their employers in countries not covered by EC or Reciprocal Agreements have to pay Class 1 contributions for the first 52 weeks that they work abroad where certain conditions are satisfied. Once the 52 weeks have come to an end the guidance and advice that we provide indicates that these employees should pay Class 3 contributions.

Class 3 Contributions are around £7.35 a week and entitle you to the same benefits as Class 1. I would suggest you talk with your employer about either recompensing you for the NI (in some way) or transfer your contract employment to another company in UAE.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by fsazhar
By law if you worked in UK for more than a year, you are required to pay NI for 1 year if you are working abroad. Since you are working for UK employer, they have to ensure that you NI are paid other wise they are liable for it.
Just talked to someone from HR. She said I had to pay no matter I would come back to UK or not. The rate is 11% and my company will not pay that for me. It is so difficult to keep taxmen away from me!

Thanks for all your replies. I've got a better idea of the tax system now.

Ok,let me get this straight: The girl is a Chinese National who works for a UK company, doesn't live in the UK and won't be going there either way, why is she liable to pay UK taxes???

This is like me working for, say British Petroleum in Dubai and paying taxes to HM...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Confucius
Ok,let me get this straight: The girl is a Chinese National who works for a UK company, doesn't live in the UK and won't be going there either way, why is she liable to pay UK taxes???

This is like me working for, say British Petroleum in Dubai and paying taxes to HM...
Sorry, I'm a man.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I'm a man.
Sorry...I'm a man too...
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Confucius
Sorry...I'm a man too...
Pity!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pity!!
Pure Chinese wit...
Old May 28th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

dfwgam is an unknown quantity at this point

HeHe!
Old May 29th 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

fsazhar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Hi

Weather you are UK citizen or not, if you were "UK Resident" for tax reasons, then you will need to pay NI for 1 year especially if you working for UK company or getting paid in UK account. I am doing same . My NT (no tax) code 2 months so I had to pay income tax untill my NT code arrived ( but get your tax back in the next salary)
Old May 29th 2008, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks Fsazhar,

Haven't got any deduction from my salary yet, maybe because I get paid in an AD account, but I was told by my colleague our HR always get it right.