British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Do guys like to intimidate women drivers? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/do-guys-like-intimidate-women-drivers-276944/)

spring_chicken Jan 12th 2005 4:20 am

Do guys like to intimidate women drivers?

:confused:

Just wanted to know...cos everyday I seem to encounter some a**h**e on the road, who takes great pleasure in not giving me way to change lanes and then drives alongside me and smiles.

Do men get entertained by this?

Heart of gold Jan 12th 2005 4:25 am

Re: Do guys like to intimidate women drivers?

Originally Posted by spring_chicken
:confused:

Just wanted to know...cos everyday I seem to encounter some a**h**e on the road, who takes great pleasure in not giving me way to change lanes and then drives alongside me and smiles.

Do men get entertained by this?

Im a newbie to the roads ( 4 weeks ) and I would say yes... I still havent mastered the art of "Pushing" in I think oh ffs and miss my exit or junction and end up going full circle again.

davidbrooks70 Jan 12th 2005 4:37 am

I think the key to pushing into another lane comes down to three things:

1) Identify the target vehicle (the one you are about to cut off). Old shitty cars make the best targets, because if you choose someone driving a mercedes or a BMW, they will consider it a matter of pride and personal well being not to let you in, while someone driving a beater may not care.

2) Fearlessness. You need to not worry about damage to your car or the other person's car. Any amount of hesitation will cause the entire operation to fail.

3) Bold, but careful manouvering. You need to change into the other lane at a moderate pace; Too slow, and the other car will have a chance to speed up and block you (I hate this more than anything), and too fast and the other car may not notice, and then hit you. During the lane change it's fine to use the horn if you think the person is trying to block you.

Hope this helps !

-David

Jammy_Dodgers Jan 12th 2005 4:40 am

I get intimidated by women drivers. :scared: :scared:

Heart of gold Jan 12th 2005 4:40 am

Originally Posted by davidbrooks70
I think the key to pushing into another lane comes down to three things:

1) Identify the target vehicle (the one you are about to cut off). Old shitty cars make the best targets, because if you choose someone driving a mercedes or a BMW, they will consider it a matter of pride and personal well being not to let you in, while someone driving a beater may not care.

2) Fearlessness. You need to not worry about damage to your car or the other person's car. Any amount of hesitation will cause the entire operation to fail.

3) Bold, but careful manouvering. You need to change into the other lane at a moderate pace; Too slow, and the other car will have a chance to speed up and block you (I hate this more than anything), and too fast and the other car may not notice, and then hit you. During the lane change it's fine to use the horn if you think the person is trying to block you.

Hope this helps !

-David

Thanks David ... My other half tells me this so often thats why Im going to do a defensive driving coarse! It may help also.

davidbrooks70 Jan 12th 2005 4:50 am

Unfortunately for Dubai, you need an offensive driving course. I have driven cars in the following countries:

1) England
2) US
3) Canada
4) Japan
5) Malaysia
6) Kuwait

and Dubai is the worst place I have ever driven. By the time I get to work each morning, I am in such a foul mood, I want to start drinking.

-David

Jammy_Dodgers Jan 12th 2005 4:54 am

Unfortunately for Dubai, you need an offensive driving course. I have driven cars in the following countries:

1) England
2) US
3) Canada
4) Japan
5) Malaysia
6) Kuwait

and Dubai is the worst place I have ever driven. By the time I get to work each morning, I am in such a foul mood, I want to start drinking.

-David

I err on the side of caution and just turn up for work pissed.

Save time, hassle....and most days i cannot even recall the drive to work.

Truth Speak Jan 12th 2005 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I err on the side of caution and just turn up for work pissed.

Save time, hassle....and most days i cannot even recall the drive to work.

Don't prang the fanny magnet...............would be a sad moment

davidbrooks70 Jan 12th 2005 4:56 am

Sorry, I left England when I was 9. What does "prang the fanny magnet" mean ?

spring_chicken Jan 12th 2005 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Im a newbie to the roads ( 4 weeks ) and I would say yes... I still havent mastered the art of "Pushing" in I think oh ffs and miss my exit or junction and end up going full circle again.

Yesterday, while i was heading home, I was patiently waiting in line at Interchange 5. This guy in a shitty van tried his best to cut in front of me and showing me his stained yellow teeth. After letting scores of people pass in front of me, I had run out of patiece, so blocked him till the very end...where the police shouted at him and took his number down.

I felt bad though...poor guy might have a fine

davidbrooks70 Jan 12th 2005 5:00 am

Yesterday, while i was heading home, I was patiently waiting in line at Interchange 5. This guy in a shitty van tried his best to cut in front of me and showing me his stained yellow teeth. After letting scores of people pass in front of me, I had run out of patiece, so blocked him till the very end...where the police shouted at him and took his number down.

Thats excellent. I wouldnt worry about it, the fines in Dubai are very low, and I am sure the guy deserved it.

Heart of gold Jan 12th 2005 5:01 am

I will get there SC.... If the roads are fairly quiet I do let other learners out and buses of course!
Im still learnig which intercahnge is which as they are not very well marked.... I dont think I would feel bad!

spring_chicken Jan 12th 2005 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Thanks David ... My other half tells me this so often thats why Im going to do a defensive driving coarse! It may help also.

Hubby keeps on telling me too that I should learn to drive defensively...be cautious and not a sissy. Told him its fine for you

Jammy_Dodgers Jan 12th 2005 5:03 am

He means crash the automobile.

Fanny Magnet refers to an english expression which means, a car that someone would buy..with the sole intention of using it to attract females, albeit shallow ones.

This type of car is also used to perpetuate the myth that the driver also has an abundance of financial resources, thus increasing ones chance of getting intimate knowledge of a female, that otherwise would not look at you twice.

Doesnt matter where you live, im sure you have seen those tossers driving round in ferrari's and Porsches

Truth Speak Jan 12th 2005 5:05 am

Jds motor is a Carrera......aka a fanny magnet for obvious reasons...prang..to crash

There u go