Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

divorce and stuff...

divorce and stuff...

Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: divorce and stuff...

Originally Posted by MataHari
would I be ok with 12,500 dhs a month, villa will be paid for, so will medical, school fees etc. So basically food, phone/internet/tv, Dewa and car....
If you shop at Lulus and Dragonmart and avoid costly brunches, you will be fine.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:11 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame Lionheart wasn't here as he could advise brilliantly re economising...

As some one who has cut right back over the last few months you could look at this scenario:

Car hire - 1600 for a yaris, 2000 for something nippier like a Honda civic. Was quoted 3000 for a Rav4. When I hired a Pajero for a month it was madly expensive.

Could you get a loan and buy a car? Much cheaper this way. My friend pays 1500 per month for a brand new big shiny 4wd something. Of course I'm assuming you don't have a car and you probably do but you included it in your list.

Petrol 400 month but I mostly just drive up and down the beach road.

Our basic du tv/Internet/phone package is 339 per month.

Food- even with really trying I reckon I spend about 700 a week, often more.

Beverages - about 500 month

Eating out is about 1200. I try not to but recently we have been out more as we want to visit places before we go.

Dewa - you'd have a villa so the Dewa is unlikely to go below 1000? my friends with villas seem to always have huge Dewa bills. I'd bank the 2,500 every month as a cushioned Dewa fund so that
you are not caught out in the summer.

So the above gets you to almost 9500 and that doesn't include toiletries, clothes, treats, shoes, classes etc. mind you, this is for 4 people, not two and there's no real good reason to eat out as much I suppose.

It's all doable but it's not going to be luxury living. It's crazy as I've just converted this to pounds and it's not a bad amount at all. Except here it doesn't seem to go so far....

Are you comfortable with that amount? Are you responsible for school uniforms, kids clothes, shoes, courses etc? That could make a huge difference.

Last edited by lullabelle; Oct 11th 2011 at 3:18 pm. Reason: Can't bloody count
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all your replies and messages and karma and stuff...

now...I know there's a million threads about this, but hey ho, I will ask anyway...
would I be ok with 12,500 dhs a month, villa will be paid for, so will medical, school fees etc. So basically food, phone/internet/tv, Dewa and car...
I would have a bit more cause I work, but as it's freelance type, I never know how much I will earn, so I can't rely on that money as such...
It would be myself and my daughter most of the time. And yes, I realise I will need to be more clued up as to where to shop, probably not just go and buy everything at Spinneys...
it's more than the teachers get and they survive, save and get pissed frequently.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 8:51 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all your replies and messages and karma and stuff...

now...I know there's a million threads about this, but hey ho, I will ask anyway...
would I be ok with 12,500 dhs a month, villa will be paid for, so will medical, school fees etc. So basically food, phone/internet/tv, Dewa and car...
I would have a bit more cause I work, but as it's freelance type, I never know how much I will earn, so I can't rely on that money as such...
It would be myself and my daughter most of the time. And yes, I realise I will need to be more clued up as to where to shop, probably not just go and buy everything at Spinneys...
Sure you will petal, you'd be ok on that plus a bit more from your freelance.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

But the teachers are 20somethings who aren't paying for expenses associated with children or dewa. What about holidays? Savings/investments?

MataHari can live off that income and even in some comfort but her quality of life is going to decrease substantially. This is a classic case of the housewife getting screwed in a divorce.

I'm sure she ignores me most of the time but I'd advise her to find a permanent job to supplement her income.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
it's more than the teachers get and they survive, save and get pissed frequently.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I'd advise her to find a permanent job to supplement her income.
or a sugar daddy
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:53 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
or a sugar daddy
hell yeah, that's more like it...sadly I only seem to meet total arseholes without any money.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:12 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to say it, but downsizing to a 2-bed apartment may be worth considering. There are some really nice ones and the DEWA especially never seems to go above 500aed a month, just make sure the A/C is included. Find one close to the Metro and you won't need your car so much either.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:14 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Hate to say it, but downsizing to a 2-bed apartment may be worth considering. There are some really nice ones and the DEWA especially never seems to go above 500aed a month, just make sure the A/C is included. Find one close to the Metro and you won't need your car so much either.
I don't see how that would work, as then my 8 year old daughter will have to share with a 16 and an 18 year old boy, plus I will be having a maid, so that would all be a bit of a tight fit...
My daughters school is in Mirdif and I plan to stay there, decent villas are around 80,000 dhs...there's no metro in Mirdif.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:26 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

hell yeah, that's more like it...sadly I only seem to meet total arseholes without any money.
How about nice poor guys?

N.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:38 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
How about nice poor guys?

N.
hmmmm...I'll have to think about that.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is absolutely tacky to bring this up at this point in your divorce but since the subject has already been broached - I had a couple of single/divorced directors in Dubai who were looking for girlfriends and always complained about the lack of suitable (educated middle aged women) to date.

If you strut yourself out there I imagine you'd be surprised by who you can meet, especially with nice large packages.

Unfortunately they don't live in Mirdiff....
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is absolutely tacky to bring this up at this point in your divorce but since the subject has already been broached - I had a couple of single/divorced directors in Dubai who were looking for girlfriends and always complained about the lack of suitable (educated middle aged women) to date.

If you strut yourself out there I imagine you'd be surprised by who you can meet, especially with nice large packages.

Old Oct 12th 2011, 2:08 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm...I'll have to think about that.
Take you're time...I don't have any on offer or anything

N.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 2:14 pm
hmmmm...nice

that's not what I am told by single/divorced women I know...it's apparently very difficult to find a decent, non married guy in his 40s here...seems most guys that come here are out to have a good time, no commitment, live a bachelor type life after their divorce.
Think it's a difficult age anyway, as men in their 40s or even early 50s will probably look at women in their 30s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.