British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   divorce (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/divorce-647539/)

fouz Jan 5th 2010 4:38 pm

divorce

How easy or diff is it to divorce here as a british national, married in UK? also a woman married to a britsh muslim??? help pls.

weescot Jan 5th 2010 5:11 pm

Re: divorce

I am not an expert but it is pretty straight forward I understand - sahria law of course. One of the BE members who is maybe Emirati or married to an Emirati will better advice but I undertand the basic process is apply, agree conditions with lawyer/court rep then go to court where a judge grants the divorce. All original UK marraige certification has to be attested by a notary public and translated into Arabic by a registered translator.

What you get out of a divorce and if you are permitted to stay on here can depend on your visa status (if your husband is sponsoring you) and if you have children.

You are best to seek legal advice.

fouz Jan 5th 2010 5:14 pm

many thanks....

seven seas Jan 5th 2010 6:12 pm

good luck.

Roadking Jan 5th 2010 6:14 pm

Why is divorce so expensive?:huh:

Cause it's worth it! :thumbup:

lionheart Jan 6th 2010 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8220639)
Why is divorce so expensive?:huh:
Cause it's worth it! :thumbup:

If that's your philosophy, wouldn't it be cheaper not to get married in the first place?:confused:

Roadking Jan 6th 2010 5:24 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8222101)
If that's your philosophy, wouldn't it be cheaper not to get married in the first place?:confused:

Good thinking; is that the rule you live by? :rolleyes:

Millhouse Jan 6th 2010 6:41 am

I delayed it for as long as I possibably could.

scrubbedexpat080 Jan 6th 2010 6:49 am

Why you get married if you want to divorce?? not good to divorce, try to hug your wife and continue the life with your kids.:wub:
I wish you the best, but think too much before you divorce and break your life.:(

fouz Jan 6th 2010 7:00 am

would love to have stayed married.....unfortunately, my husband decided to i wasnt enough for him.....so he is out on his ear. Second best is not good enough for me...but thanks for ur advice..i will pass it on to him.

Jeeper Jan 6th 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Miladassaf (Post 8222327)
Why you get married if you want to divorce?? not good to divorce, try to hug your wife and continue the life with your kids.:wub:
I wish you the best, but think too much before you divorce and break your life.:(

"Try to hug your wife and continue the life with your kids"......with all due respect dude, and I mean no offence.....but that sounds like something a 6yr old would write.

lionheart Jan 6th 2010 10:01 am

Originally Posted by fouz (Post 8222351)
would love to have stayed married.....unfortunately, my husband decided to i wasnt enough for him.....so he is out on his ear. Second best is not good enough for me...but thanks for ur advice..i will pass it on to him.

Your getting divorced because your husband strayed? Surely that's normal here in Dubai with all the temptations on offer. If he has done it more than a couple of times, then maybe a divorce is the only option.

TheDreamer Jan 6th 2010 10:13 am

But at the time of marriage things are different - you really get to know your partner after you've married him or her - normally in marriages which break down one partner has been cheating on the other - in my case if my partner had said "she was going to cheat after our marriage" I certainly wouldn't have married her in the first place (being sarcastic)!!

TheDreamer Jan 6th 2010 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Miladassaf (Post 8222327)
Why you get married if you want to divorce?? not good to divorce, try to hug your wife and continue the life with your kids.(

Tell me something, would you still hug your wife if you caught her in bed with other men?? The thought of it would probably put shivers on your back.

TheDreamer Jan 6th 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by fouz (Post 8222351)

You should never stay married to a cheating partner. Marriage is not a business that you have to keep it going at any cost.