Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Disgraceful video of Lebanese "domestic worker" abuse

Disgraceful video of Lebanese "domestic worker" abuse

Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:00 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Disgraceful video of Lebanese "domestic worker" abuse

Seems like it's not just the GCC nations with a predilection to abuse their slaves... I mean domestic helpers...

Original article here - http://www.nowlebanon.com/BlogDetail...TID=2254&FID=6

Video here with transcript below:

This is the kind of abusive scenario involving domestic migrant workers which you hear about all the time, but rarely ever see from behind closed doors.

LBC has broadcast an incredibly disturbing video showing a woman who appears to be a domestic migrant worker lying in a bush on the side of the street, moaning and crying in agony as a group of men stand over her. The implication: that before the video started rolling, the woman was somehow physically harmed. Watch the unsettling footage for yourself.

Here is an English transcript of the commentary:

Bystander: People are on their balconies [watching us].

Abuser to domestic worker: shut up.

Bystander: If you hit her and leave her, what will you benefit?

Abuser: get up, get up.

Bystander: Will you be effected if you leave her here and just leave?

Bystander: Leave her and let her go. Will you be harmed?

Abuser: Yes of course. My conscience does not allow it!

Bystander: For the sake of your conscience, leave her and let her go.

Bystander: Go to the intercom at the embassy…. The embassy is on the first floor.

0:33 – Abuser violently grabs the domestic migrant worker, she wails objecting.

Abuser calls to his friend: Get the car.

Abuser to woman: Get up [and go] the car, get up [and go] the car, get up [and go] the car… Yalla, get up.

0:46 Abuser grabs woman by the jacket and forces her to walk to the car

0:51 Woman screams ‘no, no, no, no’ as the abuser and a friend try to get the domestic worker into the car

(At least two other men are in the frame and do nothing.)

1:03 The Abuser and his friend fail to get the woman in the car.

1:07 Abuser grabs the victim by the hair after failed attempts to get her in the car. His friend says: Get her in and then curses her.

It takes two men to eventually shove the distraught women – clearly against her will - into the car.

Who are these men and what have they done with this distressed woman? We must find out. One blogger is claiming the man’s identity is Mahmoud Zhairani.

[Post Edit: NOW Lebanon's investigative team has confirmed the identity of the owner of the BMW seen in the video above. We have this person's contact information and are ready to share the details, including his address and phone number, with authorities and NGO groups in an effort to pursue justice. To those groups interested in investigating this matter futher: please email us at [email protected].]
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:10 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disgraceful video of Lebanese "domestic worker" abuse

What gives anyone the right to abuse another person? Or why do they think they have the right, rather?

Very sad, very depressing and makes any decent person very angry too.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

People like this are the scum of the earth. Obviously we don't know the details but there's no excuse for that.

When you see the non-GCC Arabs with their slaves, sorry maids, I often find they're even ruder to them than the locals/GCC. I can only assume they see it as a power thing, the fact that they have a maid gives them the right to treat them like a sack of sh1t.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
People like this are the scum of the earth. Obviously we don't know the details but there's no excuse for that.

When you see the non-GCC Arabs with their slaves, sorry maids, I often find they're even ruder to them than the locals/GCC. I can only assume they see it as a power thing, the fact that they have a maid gives them the right to treat them like a sack of sh1t.
It not just with maids: Levant Arabs treat everyone much worse than other Arabs...
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:07 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

9th March

http://www.lbcgroup.tv/news/23390/lb...he-ethiopian-d

The scenes of the Ethiopian domestic worker being beaten outside the Ethiopian consulate were considered as a crime by all those who saw them. The Lebanese state mobilized its efforts, especially the cabinet and the Lebanese public opinion that strongly denounced what happened, calling for harsh sanctions against the perpetrator of such acts in the future.

This Ethiopian girl may be lucky that pictures of her were taken while being abused, but many other domestic workers are being beaten and abused behind closed doors.

14th March

http://nowlebanon.com/BlogDetails.aspx?TID=2265&FID=6

In a devastating turn of events, LBCI TV reported Wednesday that the Ethiopian domestic worker seen in a viral video being abused has committed suicide.

According to LBCI, the man seen abusing her was identified as Ali Mahfouz. He has denied beating the young woman
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:30 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

But that's their culture - we have to be understanding and sensitive to this, after all all cultures are all equally valid.

N.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

And I feel bad when I raise my voice cause our maid has tried to iron another pair of running shorts or put my running stuff in my daughters cupboard.

Pondlife all of them as a generalisation. Once had a Leb say to me only 5% of us are bad. my answer was then the whole F'kin 5% are in DXB then.

We as a whole are not bad and it's no wonder most of the message boards with maid advert say " will work for European family only". Most of us dont have a culture of domestic help or Slaves really.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:27 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
And I feel bad when I raise my voice cause our maid has tried to iron another pair of running shorts or put my running stuff in my daughters cupboard.

Pondlife all of them as a generalisation. Once had a Leb say to me only 5% of us are bad. my answer was then the whole F'kin 5% are in DXB then.

We as a whole are not bad and it's no wonder most of the message boards with maid advert say " will work for European family only". Most of us dont have a culture of domestic help or Slaves really.
I think you feel bad because you probably have a conscience...it's a result of growing up in a post-enlightenment culture (which is of course completely evil and should be replaced with 7th Century barbarism).

Europeans, and especially the British by their own accord ended slavery (and even fought wars to end it among themselves). Europeans also developed workers rights, equal rights and human rights without being prompted by outsiders...

...hence I get very pissed off when I am told by people like the ones in this video that we're all imperialist racist bastards who have brought nothing but doom to peaceful and innocent peoples like them

Right...break out the Vodka, it's the weekend.

N.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

She has just killed herself, apparently.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a shocking video, absoluelty shameful behaviour. If I saw someone being treated like that in the Uk I would be on the phone to the police in seconds- why it is acceptable here is beyond me. What does it say about a culture that treats others in such a way. It really does make you think about where we all live and whether you want to mix with such people. And for the girl to have killed herself, tragic- to think she moved here to better her life and has ended up in the hands of such bastards. Her blood is on their hands. They should be thoroughly disgusted with themselves however i doubt they have given it a second thought. Shame on them.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1
That is a shocking video, absoluelty shameful behaviour. If I saw someone being treated like that in the Uk I would be on the phone to the police in seconds- why it is acceptable here is beyond me. What does it say about a culture that treats others in such a way. It really does make you think about where we all live and whether you want to mix with such people. And for the girl to have killed herself, tragic- to think she moved here to better her life and has ended up in the hands of such bastards. Her blood is on their hands. They should be thoroughly disgusted with themselves however i doubt they have given it a second thought. Shame on them.
And people wonder why I rant on and on about immigration in the UK and how all cultures are NOT equal and some people shouldn't be allowed to have our passport without demonstrating integration to our values and culture. Of course that's all right wing reactionary stuff

By the way, they have brought this and other charming and enriching cultural attributes to the UK already...even the media are starting to report this - 20 years too late

N.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:15 am
Banned

desert_dwellers is an unknown quantity at this point

For those who enjoy self prasing and think they are so much better than others take a look here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-17509969