British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Discovery Gardens Apartments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/discovery-gardens-apartments-690882/)

xpatadventure Oct 25th 2010 5:29 am

Discovery Gardens Apartments

Hi,

Does anyone live or know someone who lives in Discovery Gardens area especially the Contemporary buildings (2 bedrooms type)?

Any negative or positive comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

lionheart Oct 25th 2010 6:00 am

Re: Discovery Gardens Apartments

Rat infestation is the latest problem there. Spugsy may be able to enlighten you. Cheap and cheerful is the general view. Much better location than International City but equally swarming with bachelors.

Ethos83 Oct 25th 2010 6:30 am

What's your budget for housing?

Disco Gardens is "cheap and cheerful" and it's well on its way to being converted into upscale labour housing.

I'd look into TECOM or Al Barsha around the Mall of Emirates for cheap apartments. It's not so appealing on the outside (Disco Gardens despite its cheapness has a bright and shiny patina), but there's loads of shops and restaurants and bars in the walkable vicinity and two beds can now be had for as low as 60K.

spartans53 Oct 25th 2010 6:33 am

Disco Gardens does have a kebab shop and is a short taxi ride from the best bar in Dubai which will take you back to all that was great about working mens clubs in the 70's, with drunken Koreans thrown in.

The location is good but the rats would scare me.

lionheart Oct 25th 2010 8:06 am

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 8940331)
Disco Gardens does have a kebab shop and is a short taxi ride from the best bar in Dubai which will take you back to all that was great about working mens clubs in the 70's...

You mean it has strippers?

TGFKASE Oct 25th 2010 8:43 am

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 8940331)
Disco Gardens does have a kebab shop and is a short taxi ride from the best bar in Dubai which will take you back to all that was great about working mens clubs in the 70's, with drunken Koreans thrown in.

The location is good but the rats would scare me.

Is this JARC? Im quite regular there and can't think of drunken Koreans.

spartans53 Oct 25th 2010 9:15 am

Try Thursday nights after work about 9pm in the back room. They all get pissed then fight each other its hilarious for a while, they also like dancing with the band and fallng all over the place.

TGFKASE Oct 25th 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 8940550)
Try Thursday nights after work about 9pm in the back room. They all get pissed then fight each other its hilarious for a while, they also like dancing with the band and fallng all over the place.

Im there after work Thurs nites. Usually leave before the Flip band start up tho...

spartans53 Oct 25th 2010 1:15 pm

They started boxing and the new manager just laughed and let them get on with it.

Priceless. been going in since 2001 so i'm just a newcomer to the Club.

I think all Dubai tourists should do a night in the Club after the 5* hotels.

Bahtatboy Oct 25th 2010 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 8940957)
They started boxing and the new manager just laughed and let them get on with it.

Priceless. been going in since 2001 so i'm just a newcomer to the Club.

I think all Dubai tourists should do a night in the Club after the 5* hotels.

I hear Rooney's en route. Should fit right in.

Spugsy Oct 25th 2010 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by xpatadventure (Post 8940276)
Hi,

Does anyone live or know someone who lives in Discovery Gardens area especially the Contemporary buildings (2 bedrooms type)?

Any negative or positive comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Do a search on here, there's loads of threads.

It's not bad, cheap and if you go down to streets 11 / 12 they are pretty empty and its ncie and quiet.

I've never seen a rat there ever.