Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Difficult Landlord

Difficult Landlord

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Abu El Banat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Difficult Landlord

This can hardly be a unique problem but my search of the forum has come up blank...

Our apartment is rented in my wife's name and she signed up for a third year of tenancy in July and gave the landlord 2 cheques - one postdated. In August, her 'ongoing' contract was terminated by her employer. As the termination package was generous we chose not to dispute her dismissal.

We immediately informed the landlord by email that we would be leaving Dubai and would be unable to see out our contract. He acknowledged this by email and said he would be in touch regarding 'formalities'.

A few days ago we set the date for our departure (early December) and informed the landlord that this would give him around four weeks to find a replacement tenant. (We had already offered to allow access to agents/prospective tenants at any time.)

His response was that we would be required to pay two months' rent for January/February in order for him to 'carry out maintenance' (!) and upon payment of this amount he would return our second cheque. There was no mention of our security deposit.

Can this be legal? Anyone have advice or comments? Thanks in anticipation.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 2:24 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difficult Landlord

It all depends on the wording in your contract. Most require a two month notice period, or rent in lieu, for a tenancy to be broken.

The deposit is usually returnable after yo have vacated, once they have checked the condition of the property. Bear in mind you are not liable for it to be repainted unless you have caused damage and you are permitted a certain of wear and tear.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep unless you have a clause in contract you are still liable.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Abu El Banat is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that what's in the contract will apply. We are out of the country at the moment so can't revisit that as we don't have the documentation with us.

Regardless, I can't see the landlord's 'offer' as other than grasping, unreasonable and unfair since we have been good tenants who have spent thousands on keeping his investment up to scratch e.g. electrical work, replacing faulty locks, replacing water heaters, mending faulty appliances, plumbing leaks etc.

Is it any wonder that people do a runner in such circumstances? I'll have to weigh up whether to bother coming back to sort it out or instead create significant inconvenience to the parasite.

I'd better stop whingeing now or readers will think I really am an English expat.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

It sounds like he's being very reasonable, unless your contract is unusually favourable to the tenant. I wouldn't have expected to see anything of the year's rent back.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abu El Banat
I'd better stop whingeing now or readers will think I really am an English expat.
I think your user name might give it away.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that what's in the contract will apply. We are out of the country at the moment so can't revisit that as we don't have the documentation with us.

Regardless, I can't see the landlord's 'offer' as other than grasping, unreasonable and unfair since we have been good tenants who have spent thousands on keeping his investment up to scratch e.g. electrical work, replacing faulty locks, replacing water heaters, mending faulty appliances, plumbing leaks etc.

Is it any wonder that people do a runner in such circumstances? I'll have to weigh up whether to bother coming back to sort it out or instead create significant inconvenience to the parasite.

remember though that the rental market here is not like the rest of the world...!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 7:23 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

\Most contracts have a 2 month get out clause in them, doesn't matter what he says - you'll have to pay the 2 months.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Spugsy
\Most contracts have a 2 month get out clause in them, doesn't matter what he says - you'll have to pay the 2 months.
fyi remember though the law is slightly different in dubai to abu dhabi.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:41 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Er, you agreed to the terms of the contract by signing them...
Old Nov 5th 2011, 2:08 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Er, you agreed to the terms of the contract by signing them...
It still amazes me that people don't understand that contractual terms apply even though they may not always be in their favour. And also paying 2 months notice on a rented villa/flat isn't bad to be honest. Many years ago in Norway I had to pay 3 months rent as deposit and the lease had a 3 months notice period to terminate.