British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Different sort of angle this one (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/different-sort-angle-one-478283/)

justin riseborough Sep 1st 2007 7:03 am

Different sort of angle this one

As most of you will know, am still relatively new to the forum (also need a Henry Hoover still), and am posting about jobs, but this time for a friend.

A close friend of mine is in the Army (22 years) and next April has the option of either walking away fully pensioned or staying on with a commission (for a young lad from a council estate in Wakefield, that is bloody good).

The dilemma for him, is that he wants to move out to the ME and enjoy the last years with his family in a place where you can earn some money. Like I said in the army so fully trained for personal protection and has his NEBOSH and IOSH for Safety Management.

Could any of you experienced posters and dwellers here advise me of any contacts that you may know who will be able to help him out or offer a lot more advise than what I can for the Health & Safety aspect of his skills, and with regard to the protection side of the query, drop me a PM as may be more suitable.

many thanks you happy campers, and to let you know cattle on a BA plane is not that bad, just the service is sh*te, as the people in the front get seen to first, second, third and last:rofl:

Blue Cat Sep 1st 2007 7:06 am

Re: Different sort of angle this one

I aint got a clue what to advise on this one. I suppose contacting the agencies would be the first way to go. Find the post on the Middle East page, called looking for a job in the Middle East. There is a link in there to recruitment agencies.

:thumbsup:

Inselaffen Sep 1st 2007 8:16 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 5259652)
As most of you will know, am still relatively new to the forum (also need a Henry Hoover still), and am posting about jobs, but this time for a friend.

A close friend of mine is in the Army (22 years) and next April has the option of either walking away fully pensioned or staying on with a commission (for a young lad from a council estate in Wakefield, that is bloody good).

The dilemma for him, is that he wants to move out to the ME and enjoy the last years with his family in a place where you can earn some money. Like I said in the army so fully trained for personal protection and has his NEBOSH and IOSH for Safety Management.

Could any of you experienced posters and dwellers here advise me of any contacts that you may know who will be able to help him out or offer a lot more advise than what I can for the Health & Safety aspect of his skills, and with regard to the protection side of the query, drop me a PM as may be more suitable.

many thanks you happy campers, and to let you know cattle on a BA plane is not that bad, just the service is sh*te, as the people in the front get seen to first, second, third and last:rofl:

don't the Omani miltary still employ ex-british service men to train their forces? that could be an option!

justin riseborough Sep 1st 2007 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5259793)
don't the Omani miltary still employ ex-british service men to train their forces? that could be an option!

they do, but that has to be done still through the MOD, so he would sort of be tipping them off that he wants to get out

Inselaffen Sep 1st 2007 8:52 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 5259799)
they do, but that has to be done still through the MOD, so he would sort of be tipping them off that he wants to get out

One of my Uncles was given the same option! take a commission or quit on full pension. So he quit. He saw promotion to a Captain as being a downward step from RSM!

arbroath_abroad Sep 1st 2007 9:38 am

[QUOTE=Inselaffen;5259857]One of my Uncles was given the same option! take a commission or quit on full pension. So he quit. He saw promotion to a Captain as being a downward step from RSM![/QUOTE

yea but the pension as a commissioned officer is FAR superior to that of an RSM

Blue Cat Sep 1st 2007 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 5259799)

not so, there is an agency that the ex servicemen use. I have got friends who are up in al ain training the military there and they all got their jobs through this agency in the UK. I can't find out more information though as they are all on leave and won't be back until after Ramadan.

oktoberon Sep 1st 2007 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 5259652)

There's a Security Co in Dubai who are always on the look out for ex-services. Send me a pm and I'll give you the details with some contact names...

justin riseborough Sep 2nd 2007 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5260317)
not so, there is an agency that the ex servicemen use. I have got friends who are up in al ain training the military there and they all got their jobs through this agency in the UK. I can't find out more information though as they are all on leave and won't be back until after Ramadan.

Thanks for letting me know that BC, I was advised the other way. I would really appreciate it if you could pass on some contact details from any of them when they return.:thumbsup:

Blue Cat Sep 2nd 2007 6:32 am

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 5262506)
Thanks for letting me know that BC, I was advised the other way. I would really appreciate it if you could pass on some contact details from any of them when they return.:thumbsup:

I will for sure, but they aren't back until Eid. Maybe you could do a search on security agencies for ex service men?

used_car_salesman Sep 2nd 2007 5:20 pm

Try Control Risks and Executive Outcomes. Sandline is worth a try if they are still in existence but they tended to work in Africa. If it is money and military work he is after then he should go to Iraq. If it is money and an easy life then he should join the queue!!

shiva Sep 5th 2007 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by used_car_salesman (Post 5264316)
Try Control Risks and Executive Outcomes. Sandline is worth a try if they are still in existence but they tended to work in Africa. If it is money and military work he is after then he should go to Iraq. If it is money and an easy life then he should join the queue!!

I thought Sandline were all in jail for an attempted coup, those that were left mostly joined aegis.

Justin, there are a number of firms operating out of dubai, drop me a pm and i'll put you in touch with a couple that havent been mentioned. They dont just focus on the gun for hire angle either!
My advice, tell your friend to stay until he gets commissioned as it will be better in the long run, in terms of pension and employability. Besides after 22yrs he deserves a rest ;)