Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Did you work harder in the UK than in the Gulf?

Did you work harder in the UK than in the Gulf?

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you work harder in the UK than in the Gulf?

Originally Posted by scot47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_%28audit_firms%29

I see. We can learn - even at my advanced age !
Big 4 - Ladbrokes, William Hill, Paddy Power and Victor Chandler innit!
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 6:19 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to KSA recently and it is the easiest job I've ever had . Home by 1:30 pm every day , sometimes earlier .
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
A Wesh colleague of mine, now in the Great Classroom in the Sky, used to say," I tried work but I didn't like it, so I came to Saudi Arabia."

RIP Roy Thomas !
My history teacher wrote that in my leavers book without the Saudi Arabia bit!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Don't confuse long hours, hard work and quality.

Here, I see people attending all hours God sends, yet doing little and producing utter shite.
Never a truer word spoken Millhouse.

I think it totally depends on what your job is and who you work for. My previous positions were more hands-on in IT and I worked far longer hours (mostly correcting the work of others and playing 'mummy' to them) but I enjoyed the work and didn't mind the extra time.

Now my role is not so much hands on, for in a far bigger company and I work less hours than the UK. However, the days seems far longer now

I suppose the answer is you will probably work longer hours, but if you enjoy your role it doesn't matter
Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OleJanx
You will find that it's different, and not really comparible, but all been well . you will settle down.
Good luck.
thanks
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I think employers out here expect you to take on more responsibility than at home, in a like-for-like job situation. I run a team of 11, and do far more myself than I would be expected to do back home.

Still - the gratitude you get for it varies. In KSA, they were generally appreciative of your skills and experience (especially if you took the time and trouble to impart some of it to local juniors etc) but in this country, the locals treat you like something they have just trodden in on the street...........
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
I think employers out here expect you to take on more responsibility than at home, in a like-for-like job situation. I run a team of 11, and do far more myself than I would be expected to do back home.

Still - the gratitude you get for it varies. In KSA, they were generally appreciative of your skills and experience (especially if you took the time and trouble to impart some of it to local juniors etc) but in this country, the locals treat you like something they have just trodden in on the street...........
Hey thanks for the response. When you say 'in this country' do you mean the UAE? (sorry not been on the boards long enough to remember where you're all living)
That's quite curious actually.. if you are indeed talking about Emiratis. Why do you think that's the attitude?

Saff
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Hey thanks for the response. When you say 'in this country' do you mean the UAE? (sorry not been on the boards long enough to remember where you're all living)
That's quite curious actually.. if you are indeed talking about Emiratis. Why do you think that's the attitude?

Saff
Yes, I am in the UEA (anag).

Very different traits across the different peoples, tribes, etc out here. In my experience, the further North-West you travel (Bahrain, Saudi), the nicer they become............
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have visited all the GCC states and worked in 2. I agree with the above post. Emiratis and Kuwaitis are often arrogant. Many Saudis are charming - even some of the Pious Ones ! Certainly a lot better than the Kuwaitis !
Old Dec 25th 2012, 1:45 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Once again the responses here show two things:
1. People (BE posters especially?) love to generalise from their own experiences.
2. Generalisations are almost always useless.

The premise behind the original question is simply not valid. Some jobs are harder, some are easier. Some employers are better, some are worse. In some places people work very hard, in some places they get away with dossing all the time. Here and in the UK.

It depends much more on your employer than anything else. Is it private or public sector, multi-national or local, manufacturing (unlikely but possible) or service or retail? Is it oriented towards the local market or is it a regional or global centre for your organisation? Are most of the staff professional "knowledge workers" or is it mainly relatively menial work?

Any and all of these factors will ultimately be much more significant in determining how hard you have to work than the basic fact that the job is located in this region.

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; Dec 25th 2012 at 1:48 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
1. People (BE posters especially?) love to generalise from their own experiences.

The premise behind the original question is simply not valid. Some jobs are harder, some are easier. Some employers are better, some are worse. In some places people work very hard, in some places they get away with dossing all the time. Here and in the UK.

It depends much more on your employer than anything else. Is it private or public sector, multi-national or local, manufacturing (unlikely but possible) or service or retail? Is it oriented towards the local market or is it a regional or global centre for your organisation? Are most of the staff professional "knowledge workers" or is it mainly relatively menial work?

Any and all of these factors will ultimately be much more significant in determining how hard you have to work than the basic fact that the job is located in this region.
Fair point.
I was also curious about individual experiences too.

Cheers,

Saff
Old Dec 26th 2012, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

........... but many people are doing exactly the same jobs they did back at home, so the comparisons are valid surely?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 9:27 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

She did ask what other BE posters think and/or have experienced so surely whatever they post is valid feedback regardless of how incorrect and influenced by bias it may be.

I do agree with your sentiment though. It is definitely a question which is impossible to answer on a general basis due to the sheer number of factors.

Personally I reckon I work more or less the same number of hours as what I did in the UK. The key difference is that in the UK the weekend tended to be sacred whereas here I am supposed to feel lucky that I get a couple of days off....
Old Dec 28th 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudivisa
I think the teachers work a lot less.

I work like Kunta Kintey but the harder I work, the more I earn.
Do you mean Kunta Kinte darling? In which case it would be an oxymoron because he was a slave and therefore didn't get paid!
Old Dec 29th 2012, 10:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I have never worked hard. The odd day here and there but my job is simple, I'm clever, I find quick ways and am successful without working like a dog.

Quality over quantity. 8:30-17:30. Done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.