Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Did a recruitment agency help you to find a job in the Gulf?

Did a recruitment agency help you to find a job in the Gulf?

Old Jun 8th 2012, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did a recruitment agency help you to find a job in the Gulf?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Quick scout on linked in, employ him directly and don't tell the agent yeah?

Since when did recruiters have any ethics?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Quick scout on linked in, employ him directly and don't tell the agent yeah?
I cannot be held responsible for his mistake.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Hello!

Just wondering how many of you expats-in-the-Gulf secured a job there via a recruitment company? I've been looking into them over the past couple of days (as well as applying to certain jobs directly) but was curious if they've worked for anybody?

Cheers!

Saff
Yes to 1st job in the Gulf, no to second and third

I have 2 very close friends who are in recruitment in the UK and both are very successful because they specialize and know their clients and candidates well

Most and no disrespect to Scampi here are low lifes

Bahrain is definitely word of mouth though

Of course you have to get through the scum that is the Keralite HR mafia if you apply direct to a company so there advantages to using recruitment consultants who can bypass these scum
Old Jun 8th 2012, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

neil_95051 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Keralite HR mafia
Who is that?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

treblestar is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Did a recruitment agency help you to find a job in the Gulf?

Hi people

I am too looking for a job in the Gulf, focusing mainly on Qatar. I am a chartered QS with 5 years experience. I work for Laing O'Rourke in the UK as a QS reporting directly to my commercial manager.

So far I have enrolled onto gulftalent, naukrigulf and monster gulf. I have had employers review my CV a few times but no contact. Having read the earlier posts I think I need to start getting in touch directly with contractors??

Does anyone have a list of building contractors currently working in Doha I can contact and what is the best way; email or a telephone call?

PS. This is my first post so apologies in advance for any amateur mistakes!

Thanks

Ed
Old Jun 9th 2012, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Yes to 1st job in the Gulf, no to second and third

I have 2 very close friends who are in recruitment in the UK and both are very successful because they specialize and know their clients and candidates well

Most and no disrespect to Scampi here are low lifes

Bahrain is definitely word of mouth though

Of course you have to get through the scum that is the Keralite HR mafia if you apply direct to a company so there advantages to using recruitment consultants who can bypass these scum
lol, keralite HR mafia.. I shall indeed be on the look out!

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2012, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by treblestar
Hi people

I am too looking for a job in the Gulf, focusing mainly on Qatar. I am a chartered QS with 5 years experience. I work for Laing O'Rourke in the UK as a QS reporting directly to my commercial manager.

So far I have enrolled onto gulftalent, naukrigulf and monster gulf. I have had employers review my CV a few times but no contact. Having read the earlier posts I think I need to start getting in touch directly with contractors??

Does anyone have a list of building contractors currently working in Doha I can contact and what is the best way; email or a telephone call?

Thanks

Ed
Why not try Laing O'Rourke? They are in DXB, SHJ and AUH! Seriously, if you need a decent recruitment agency drop me a PM. Agencies are rather like Doctors, Dentists, and Estate Agents - There are some good ones, but you need to know where to look!

LOR got a 'Bad Press' in AUH a couple of years back, when everything went 'Tits-Up' here, almost overnight! - Try to find out who is in charge of 'Human Remains' here in UAE

Last edited by jackthehat; Jun 9th 2012 at 5:23 am. Reason: Last Paragraph
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Why not try Laing O'Rourke? They are in DXB, SHJ and AUH! Seriously, if you need a decent recruitment agency drop me a PM. Agencies are rather like Doctors, Dentists, and Estate Agents - There are some good ones, but you need to know where to look!

LOR got a 'Bad Press' in AUH a couple of years back, when everything went 'Tits-Up' here, almost overnight! - Try to find out who is in charge of 'Human Remains' here in UAE
LOR are not recruiting over here for positions in the Gulf. As far as I know LOR are working on a shopping mall and a hospital in Sharjah and finishing works around Aldar's headquarters in Abu Dhabi. We are though recruiting for positions in Australia and Canada but I have no interest looking there.

Seriously have I got a good chance of finding something with my experience in Doha if I make a really good effort looking?

I will PM now for those recruitment agencies.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

dcec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Seriously, if you need a decent recruitment agency drop me a PM. Agencies are rather like Doctors, Dentists, and Estate Agents - There are some good ones, but you need to know where to look!
Jackthehat,

Sorry to budge in a bit - but can I PM you also for those recruiters?

Cheers,
dcec
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi people

Thanks

Ed

Hi Ed,

Sounds like your in a similar boat to my husband - he found linked in a useful tool for contacting companies direct in regards possible opportunities, not sure obviously if you have tried this already.

dcec
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dcec
Hi Ed,

Sounds like your in a similar boat to my husband - he found linked in a useful tool for contacting companies direct in regards possible opportunities, not sure obviously if you have tried this already.

dcec
Thanks dcec

I will look into Linkedin. Has your husband worked in the Gulf before? I have only been looking for around a week.

Do you know which building contractors i need to get in touch with?
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks dcec

I will look into Linkedin. Has your husband worked in the Gulf before? I have only been looking for around a week.

Do you know which building contractors i need to get in touch with?
Hey Ed,

No hasn't worked in Gulf before, we almost took an offer in 2008 have been regretting it a little ever since...

He has been looking now for couple of months its hard work getting through to a lot of the companies, also a lot of recruiters have been pretty unworthwhile.

Linked will be your best bet once you get started on there you will find your way and figure out which contactors are best for your QS field - I don't really know who in particular - them all until someone responds?!!

He has some interviews set up so heads out to Dubai shortly for a few weeks, we are hoping for the best, of course he may come home with nothing. He's just been made redundant and its still unbelievable to us but we live in hope if its meant to be it will be.

I keep hearing there are more prospects in KSA and Qatar, but we both have family in Dubai and hope to end up there. If you read my recent thread 'Dubai or not Dubai' you will get a better understanding of our situation.

If you hear of any good recruiters do let me know!

Cheers