Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of
Default Re: Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Originally Posted by Groovychick
^ Mate if you dont like it in a Muslim country why don't you **** off back to where you came from

I do not see Muslims moaning in UK as much as you lot do over in the Middle East. It baffles it at how you have audacity to get angry at British Muslims when they bad mouth UK. The things alot of you come out of are hilarious!
There is just one big difference between US and THEM. We are not immigrants, we are moving on, when our job is done. We are here because of the money we can earn. No one comes for the 'beautiful nature' or the 'beautiful people' here. And just because we are here to earn some money, doesn't mean that we have to like everything.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:56 pm
Banned

Groovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dilmun
There is just one big difference between US and THEM. We are not immigrants, we are moving on, when our job is done. We are here because of the money we can earn. No one comes for the 'beautiful nature' or the 'beautiful people' here. And just because we are here to earn some money, doesn't mean that we have to like everything.
Then don't moan when others hate the West with your patriotic crap. Makes you look even more pathetic than you do already.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Then don't moan when others hate the West with your patriotic crap. Makes you look even more pathetic than you do already.
For me any western woman with a bit dignity and selfrespect can only dislike this form of society, but I am sure, your superior view of things is different on this.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:04 pm
Banned

Groovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura about

For me any western woman with a bit dignity and selfrespect can only dislike this form of society, but I am sure, your superior view of things is different on this.
Something comes to mind... oh yes thats it... *** off back to the west then
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shehryar
With respect, I fear your conclusion appears to be somewhat simplistic.

Your point that the Middle East has unusually high incidences of diabetes by global standards is completely valid.

However, I'm sure less sure about your inference that this is caused by Ramadan - if it was, surely all Muslims would be affected, not just Arab ones?

The vast majority of the world's Muslims are NOT residents of the Middle East nor are they Arab - they are Indians, Pakistanis, Bengalis, Indonesians, Malays, Iranians, Africans and Turks. Is diabetes higher amongst Indian Muslims (who fast) as compared to Indian Hindus (who don't)? I haven't seen anyone claim that.

For that matter, are there any intra-religious differences in the occurrence of diabetes in the Middle East and amongst Arabs? Are all Lebanese / Egyptians Arabs on balance equally susceptible or does it affect the Muslims more than the Christians in those countries? I would assume its the former, unless there's evidence to the contrary.

Mere correlation cannot imply a causal relationship, especially in the absence of any evidence or research.

The key issue is thus not Ramadan or fasting, but diet and lifestyle. Add a sedentary heavy-eating lifestyle to a genetic predisposition to diabetes and you will get the world's highest incidences of the disease. Whether they fast or not, most Arabs in the GCC region do have unhealthy diets and a complete absence of exercise. In fact, even if they never fast, unless and until they improve their diets, it will have no bearing on the diabetes risk here.
What a great post. Admit it Dean, that should have shut you up so don't be afraid to admit it.

If you would like to know what actually goes on from a Muslim point of view (which I'm sure you don't but I will anyway), then here goes.

Yes, if you're just after the physical aspect and just remaining hungry for the day, you won't gain much. Until a few years ago, I too couldn't wait for the time of Iftar (breaking the fast), helping to cook the samosas, onion bhaji's etc with the family... and there was a very nice feel and buzz to the whole month both within the family and inside the Muslim community.How can this be a bad thing?

Having breakfast and dinnner @ the same time, something we all don't do due to work pressures etc... It does create a very beautiful atmosphere for a month within the home and you just have to take it from me that when the month finishes, it becomes quite sad that we just don't spend that much quality time during meals etc...

But now I'm a little bit older and hopefully a bit wiser, yes, last few years, no oily food at the time of breaking the fast, eat normal portions instead of stuffing yourself as the whole month should teach you about discipline and control which I will never master but I'll try nevertheless as the saying goes, "Aim for the sky and you'll at least reach the tree tops"

And I went to McDonalds last year in my tinted car during the fast and do you know what I was doing? I bought it for my wife who didn't need to fast due to medical conditions so stop judging people you ignorant person.[/I][/I]

Jeez, I bet all the Dean does is have a checklist of 'Muslim spat on the street, Muslim jumped the traffic light' each day and writes it up on this forum.

Stop judging people mate and you'll live a much more peaceful life. Live your life so that people enjoy being around you and when you're not around, they'll miss you.

Thanks.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:53 pm
Banned

Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Also, just a bit off topic but I never saw this one coming. It's like, so South Asia style...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-10781151

So now what would the dean do now, ban vicars, blah blah?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:38 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

^ Mate if you dont like it in a Muslim country why don't you **** off back to where you came from

I do not see Muslims moaning in UK as much as you lot do over in the Middle East. It baffles it at how you have audacity to get angry at British Muslims when they bad mouth UK. The things alot of you come out of are hilarious!
Yeah, we're a terrible bunch here. You missed the protests/riots when a couple of British people were arrested for kissing in a restaurant at 2a.m. The two year old witness is still in therapy for seeing something so graphic just before bedtime.

So much here is fubar, most people I know put up with it as we are just here to make some money then move on...and this is not some anti-Muslim rant, religion has little to do with it. It's simply a mix of greed and incompetence that riles expats (and that is not just 'white' expats).
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist
What a great post. Admit it Dean, that should have shut you up so don't be afraid to admit it.

If you would like to know what actually goes on from a Muslim point of view (which I'm sure you don't but I will anyway), then here goes.

Yes, if you're just after the physical aspect and just remaining hungry for the day, you won't gain much. Until a few years ago, I too couldn't wait for the time of Iftar (breaking the fast), helping to cook the samosas, onion bhaji's etc with the family... and there was a very nice feel and buzz to the whole month both within the family and inside the Muslim community.How can this be a bad thing?

Having breakfast and dinnner @ the same time, something we all don't do due to work pressures etc... It does create a very beautiful atmosphere for a month within the home and you just have to take it from me that when the month finishes, it becomes quite sad that we just don't spend that much quality time during meals etc...

But now I'm a little bit older and hopefully a bit wiser, yes, last few years, no oily food at the time of breaking the fast, eat normal portions instead of stuffing yourself as the whole month should teach you about discipline and control which I will never master but I'll try nevertheless as the saying goes, "Aim for the sky and you'll at least reach the tree tops"

And I went to McDonalds last year in my tinted car during the fast and do you know what I was doing? I bought it for my wife who didn't need to fast due to medical conditions so stop judging people you ignorant person.[/I][/I]

Jeez, I bet all the Dean does is have a checklist of 'Muslim spat on the street, Muslim jumped the traffic light' each day and writes it up on this forum.

Stop judging people mate and you'll live a much more peaceful life. Live your life so that people enjoy being around you and when you're not around, they'll miss you.

Thanks.
Blimey………… if there was an award for “The Largest Amount Of Inaccurate Garbage In One Post”, you’d win it easily – and round this place lately that has been a tough competition to win.

All I ever said was that breaking the fast with sugary, high-carb food was unhealthy, and can be a direct factor in causing diabetes. I stand by that (although Patsy’s medical evidence by way of rebuttal was a lot more persuasive than the rants of you or Gobbychick).

I’m not one of those who starts, or adds to, the “a Muslim did something horrible” threads. I like the GCC region; I have immersed myself in the ‘local culture’ for the last 18 years. In many years in Saudi, I was often invited into the family homes of work colleagues to join them for Friday lunch (you’ll agree most non-Muslims would not receive that sort of invitation). I considered that an honour, and said so.

I am still in regular contact with young Saudis I helped to train in the mid-1990s; they feel a strong enough bond with the way I helped to ‘mentor’ them during the early part of their careers that keeping in touch, and keeping me informed of their career progress, seems to them to be the right and proper thing to do.

I don’t judge someone by their religion; I judge them by their character, standards, etc. I can do this because I have no religion myself. I am currently involved in a project to allow the Israeli and Palestinian rugby teams to play against each other; it’s a peace/bonding/friendship thing, which both teams are desperate should happen (more sponsors needed BTW, PM me for more details anyone).

And yet, this part of the world irritates me often, infuriates me sometimes, and disgusts me very occasionally. I remember the embarrassment felt by my (then 17 years old) daughter for being threatened by a jobsworth security guard at a Dubai mall for daring to walk arm-in-arm with her dad, something she always likes to do anywhere else in the world.

Someone else mentioned the 2am kissing incident so I can’t add to that. The British couple who had a shag on the beach deserved the punishment and humiliation they received. Of course it offended Muslim sensibility; it offended everybody’s.

We’re expected, as expat and temporary visitors to “their” country, to conform with “their” standards. Fair enough; I’m one who does.

Mathematist (sic), you don’t know me and probably never will. I have a peaceful and happy life (but thank you for your concern), and am not usually shunned by those who consider themselves to be friends or family. You confused my comments about fasting and diabetes with “yet another” anti-Muslim diatribe. It wasn’t – take the time to look back over a few of my posts on various topics over the three years I have been hanging around here. Your narrow assessment was way off.

And finally I’m not in the hating business at all; if someone wants to hate me, that is their right, but I hope they won’t be shocked or offended if I don’t hate them in return.

Last edited by The Dean; Jul 30th 2010 at 6:54 am.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

well the Dean, I appreciate your honest reply but I wasn't the only one who thought your original post was inaccurate. I do sympathise with you especially with the daughter incident.

Muslims attitude vary from country to country and I may even ask you for advice with how to deal with Arabs since I'll be working with them soon & being a non-arab too.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:53 am
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

You do not see muslims moaning in the uk? pah talking of hilarious!!!
Why does it baffle you if people get angry bad mouthing the uk? In this backward region you are not allowed to bad mouth the country as you would face jail and deprortation.

Get back in your tent and get some practice in for your future generation of layabouts.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

PS Please dont reply to me with your usual bollocks. Much appreciated.
Here here! Some of the stuff which is written on this forum is very bigoted. If you go to live in a Muslim country, you should respect the customs. Why do some people think its OK to criticise other people's beliefs and customs?

By the way, the answer to your question as to why people stay will be answered with reference to money, tax free allowances, good weather etc. etc. Surely with the benefits come some costs!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you talking about???? Just because people choose to live by different standards than your own, does not mean that women are treated with any less dignity or have any less self-respect than you. What happened to live and let live?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:29 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkMum
Why do some people think its OK to criticise other people's beliefs and customs?
Because it is - and sometimes it's a moral obligation. Or do you think things like FGM, slavery and the jailing of rape victims for adultery - all linked to customs in this part of the world - should be protected from criticism?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:37 pm
Banned

Mate, western history is not so pretty itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.