Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:30 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Aaah I remember the runs to the Sheraton Riyadh's lunch room (in the basement, where the table tennis tables usually were).

Oh, and seeing the locals craftily grabbing a McDonalds drive-through in their tinted-windowed cars (the thowb sleeve poking out to pay being the give-away) before driving into the desert to devour
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
What I'm looking forwards to is eating in the toilets- the approved place for non muslims to eat their lunch- nice! we only have two or three in the office who will leave at lunchtime yet we still have to eat in the bogs? I wonder if I can smoke in there to?

Luckily I'm onlyhere for a week of Ramadam- thank allah! otherwise I'd be fed up of bog salad!
great for the weight loss though...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Ramadan causes diabetes. Fact.
what a ridiculous load of bollox dean...

MM, xx
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
what a ridiculous load of bollox dean...

MM, xx
Look, of course, not EVERY Muslim becomes diabetic during Ramadan, but it is widely recognised as a major contributor to the fact (yes, FACT) that the Middle East has the highest incidence in the world (think of it as a crash diet, which you break every so often with sugary, high-carb food).

The body copes well with gradual changes in blood sugar levels (insulin production stats confirm that), but this is a dramatic high-low-high-low carb regimen.

If you're going to break the fast after 16 hours of eating nothing, I'd recommend a nice piece of steamed fish with green veg or salad. Chocs and sugary garbage? Er... no.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Look, of course, not EVERY Muslim becomes diabetic during Ramadan, but it is widely recognised as a major contributor to the fact (yes, FACT) that the Middle East has the highest incidence in the world (think of it as a crash diet, which you break every so often with sugary, high-carb food).

The body copes well with gradual changes in blood sugar levels (insulin production stats confirm that), but this is a dramatic high-low-high-low carb regimen.

If you're going to break the fast after 16 hours of eating nothing, I'd recommend a nice piece of steamed fish with green veg or salad. Chocs and sugary garbage? Er... no.
Actually darling they break their fast with dates and juice then they go on to eat like buggers all night
and also it is only the UAE that has the 2nd highest rate of diabetes in the world.

AND.... for somebody to become diabetic over the course of a month they would already have been pre diabetes. Type 2 diabetes comes on gradually because of either poor diet/being overweight/genetics/ethnicity (is that even a word?) or combination of all the above.

Somebody in normal good health will not "catch" diabetes just because they fast/eat/fast/eat for a month.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Actually darling they break their fast with dates and juice then they go on to eat like buggers all night
and also it is only the UAE that has the 2nd highest rate of diabetes in the world.

AND.... for somebody to become diabetic over the course of a month they would already have been pre diabetes. Type 2 diabetes comes on gradually because of either poor diet/being overweight/genetics/ethnicity (is that even a word?) or combination of all the above.

Somebody in normal good health will not "catch" diabetes just because they fast/eat/fast/eat for a month.
............ dates and juice? So that would be low-sugar and low-carb then???
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

but it isn't ...Chocs and sugary garbage?

And a good ......lets ignore the facts of Patsy's post...

Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

With respect, I fear your conclusion appears to be somewhat simplistic.

Your point that the Middle East has unusually high incidences of diabetes by global standards is completely valid.

However, I'm sure less sure about your inference that this is caused by Ramadan - if it was, surely all Muslims would be affected, not just Arab ones?

The vast majority of the world's Muslims are NOT residents of the Middle East nor are they Arab - they are Indians, Pakistanis, Bengalis, Indonesians, Malays, Iranians, Africans and Turks. Is diabetes higher amongst Indian Muslims (who fast) as compared to Indian Hindus (who don't)? I haven't seen anyone claim that.

For that matter, are there any intra-religious differences in the occurrence of diabetes in the Middle East and amongst Arabs? Are all Lebanese / Egyptians Arabs on balance equally susceptible or does it affect the Muslims more than the Christians in those countries? I would assume its the former, unless there's evidence to the contrary.

Mere correlation cannot imply a causal relationship, especially in the absence of any evidence or research.

The key issue is thus not Ramadan or fasting, but diet and lifestyle. Add a sedentary heavy-eating lifestyle to a genetic predisposition to diabetes and you will get the world's highest incidences of the disease. Whether they fast or not, most Arabs in the GCC region do have unhealthy diets and a complete absence of exercise. In fact, even if they never fast, unless and until they improve their diets, it will have no bearing on the diabetes risk here.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shehryar

Your point that the Middle East has unusually high incidences of diabetes by global standards is completely valid.

However, I'm sure less sure about your inference that this is caused by Ramadan - if it was, surely all Muslims would be affected, not just Arab ones?

The vast majority of the world's Muslims are NOT residents of the Middle East nor are they Arab - they are Indians, Pakistanis, Bengalis, Indonesians, Malays, Iranians, Africans and Turks. Is diabetes higher amongst Indian Muslims (who fast) as compared to Indian Hindus (who don't)? I haven't seen anyone claim that.

For that matter, are there any intra-religious differences in the occurrence of diabetes in the Middle East and amongst Arabs? Are all Lebanese / Egyptians Arabs on balance equally susceptible or does it affect the Muslims more than the Christians in those countries? I would assume its the former, unless there's evidence to the contrary.

Mere correlation cannot imply a causal relationship, especially in the absence of any evidence or research.

The key issue is thus not Ramadan or fasting, but diet and lifestyle. Add a sedentary heavy-eating lifestyle to a genetic predisposition to diabetes and you will get the world's highest incidences of the disease. Whether they fast or not, most Arabs in the GCC region do have unhealthy diets and a complete absence of exercise. In fact, even if they never fast, unless and until they improve their diets, it will have no bearing on the diabetes risk here.

Exactly what I said, but not quite so longwinded darling, but good post nonetheless
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Exactly what I said, but not quite so longwinded darling, but good post nonetheless
Ta very much!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Add to this the fact, that diabetes is genetic, multiplying the factor with marriages between cousins, I am actually astounded that the number hasn't reached the 100% yet.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shehryar

A fantastic post! It is so nice to see someone offering a well thought out and scientifically based comment. I am astounded as to how often I read comments on this forum which are very anti-Muslim.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by UkMum
A fantastic post! It is so nice to see someone offering a well thought out and scientifically based comment. I am astounded as to how often I read comments on this forum which are very anti-Muslim.
Oh don't YOU start........... nothing anti-Muslim about what I wrote. I understand the fasting, and why they do it - I just think they are risking their health, that's all. I don't supose any Muslim will stop fasting simply because of something I wrote.......
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:31 pm
Banned

Groovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura about

^ Mate if you dont like it in a Muslim country why don't you **** off back to where you came from

I do not see Muslims moaning in UK as much as you lot do over in the Middle East. It baffles it at how you have audacity to get angry at British Muslims when they bad mouth UK. The things alot of you come out of are hilarious!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:32 pm
Banned

Groovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura about

PS Please dont reply to me with your usual bollocks. Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.