Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

People diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes should not fast during Ramadan as they are in a high risk category and could end up doing harm to themselves, the chief executive officer of Dubai Hospital has warned.

"Ramadan is a special month for Muslims and everyone wishes to join in its spiritual enjoyment," Dr Abdul Razzaq Al Madani said.

However, the sugar levels of this particular group of diabetics could fluctuate dangerously during the fast, he added.

Type 1 diabetics depend on injections of insulin to lead a normal life. During the Ramadan fast Muslims go without food and drink during the daylight hours, and taking medicine in public is also not allowed.

Dr Al Madani said even people with Type 2 diabetes need to be extra careful if they plan to fast.

He added that people with cardiac problems in particular should regularly check their sugar levels.

People with Type 2 diabetes can control their illness by adhering to a proper diet and taking medication

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/he...madan-1.659385
Old Jul 27th 2010, 4:24 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Diabetes and Fasting during Ramadan

Originally Posted by coffindodger
People diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes should not fast during Ramadan as they are in a high risk category and could end up doing harm to themselves, the chief executive officer of Dubai Hospital has warned.

"Ramadan is a special month for Muslims and everyone wishes to join in its spiritual enjoyment," Dr Abdul Razzaq Al Madani said.

However, the sugar levels of this particular group of diabetics could fluctuate dangerously during the fast, he added.

Type 1 diabetics depend on injections of insulin to lead a normal life. During the Ramadan fast Muslims go without food and drink during the daylight hours, and taking medicine in public is also not allowed.

Dr Al Madani said even people with Type 2 diabetes need to be extra careful if they plan to fast.

He added that people with cardiac problems in particular should regularly check their sugar levels.

People with Type 2 diabetes can control their illness by adhering to a proper diet and taking medication

Brilliant / That's really bad / What?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger

Ramadan causes diabetes. Fact.

They eat nothing for about 16 hours (if it's a summer Ramadan), then break the fast with bad stuff (sweetened tea, chocolates, fatty carbs, etc).

Not a blood sugar/insulin expert but it can't be coincidence that nearly 30% of adult Saudis are diabetic; there's no comparable statistic anywhere apart from this region.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

The UAE has the 2nd highest rate of diabetes in the world.
Having trained locals, I have seen how they increase their weight during Ramadan. Too much sugar and too many unhealthy carbs.
Mostly a sedenary lifestyle and the introduction of junk food into a society that used to live on a natural, healthy diet
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

They eat nothing for about 16 hours (if it's a summer Ramadan), then break the fast with bad stuff (sweetened tea, chocolates, fatty carbs, etc).

Not a blood sugar/insulin expert but it can't be coincidence that nearly 30% of adult Saudis are diabetic; there's no comparable statistic anywhere apart from this region.
Actually darling, Ramadan does not cause Diabetes..you can't "catch" it in a month!!
and the comparable statistics are that atleast 20% of the population of the UAE have diabetes. However the study included Emiratis and expats but it does make interesting reading

http://www.cags.org.ae/cbc07db.pdf
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Actually darling, Ramadan does not cause Diabetes..you can't "catch" it in a month!!
and the comparable statistics are that atleast 20% of the population of the UAE have diabetes. However the study included Emiratis and expats but it does make interesting reading

http://www.cags.org.ae/cbc07db.pdf
Nonsense - my brother 'caught' it virtually overnight.

In fact you don't 'catch' it at all, of course - your body simply starts to do things differently. The fasting, followed by sugary food, changes completely hows the body does what it does................
Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:04 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense - my brother 'caught' it virtually overnight.

In fact you don't 'catch' it at all, of course - your body simply starts to do things differently. The fasting, followed by sugary food, changes completely hows the body does what it does................
Indeed. Not eating or drinking anything during daylight hours is not exactly a fast anyway - just skipping meals. Then packing in massive amounts of sugars and carbs at night is bound to cause problems. The UAE population is not exactly a picture of health anyway - doing less exercise than most and generally eating fatty, unhealthy foods and not sticking to healthy sleeping patterns from a young age.

Most of the GCC locals I know here put on weight during ramadan...

A real fast would involve drinking lots of water and green or herbal teas and not eating anything at all for days at a time - and a light diet of fruit and veg should be stuck to before and after the fast. It can actually be quite healthy if done correctly - I've done it myself a number of times and it literally does "clean you out". Ramadan as a medically beneficial fast is a joke.

What I really don't understand is why in Turkey or Egypt one can continue life as normal during Ramadan for the most part but in the GCC they feel if they are fasting everyone has to fast and be seen doing it under pain of fines and imprisonment.

N>
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:19 am
Banned

Groovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura about

What a ****** twit!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Groovychick
What a ****** twit!
Sorry, there seems to be a problem with your keyboard - the rest of your post (the part in which you intelligently and persuasively argue a contrary position, thus convincing me and others of a more plausible scenario) appears to have unaccountably been deleted.............
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

What I'm looking forwards to is eating in the toilets- the approved place for non muslims to eat their lunch- nice! we only have two or three in the office who will leave at lunchtime yet we still have to eat in the bogs? I wonder if I can smoke in there to?

Luckily I'm onlyhere for a week of Ramadam- thank allah! otherwise I'd be fed up of bog salad!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's that bad? My office is fairly liberal and people eat/drink anytime and anywhere they want in the office. the Muslims we have on staff are generally from Egypt, Lebanon or Turkey so they couldn't care less.

Originally Posted by kittycat1
What I'm looking forwards to is eating in the toilets- the approved place for non muslims to eat their lunch- nice! we only have two or three in the office who will leave at lunchtime yet we still have to eat in the bogs? I wonder if I can smoke in there to?

Luckily I'm onlyhere for a week of Ramadam- thank allah! otherwise I'd be fed up of bog salad!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:01 am
Banned

Groovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura aboutGroovychick has a spectacular aura about

Aww poor kitty! Hun, I feel for you! Sheesh
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

We used to be allowed to eat in specific meeting rooms and drink at our desks. That was before the revolution - I suspect this year it'll be sandwiches in the shitters.

Still, 9-3... I'm sure I can hold off and just leave early.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

smart boy is an unknown quantity at this point

The patient is recognized if patients can not fast, there is nothing wrong to break the fast ... Islam is a religion of tolerance and is pleased.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.