British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   DEWA Online Activation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dewa-online-activation-483744/)

typical Sep 26th 2007 8:30 pm

DEWA Online Activation

Right then, got apartment, bought bed and couch and now trying to get electricity into my name. Priorities eh...

The online form asks for a "Visa File No.", however it only accepts 9 characters. The only thing approaching a visa number I can see on my visa is of the format XXX/2007/XXXXXXX. What on earth is the Visa File No. if not this? :confused:

Any help appreciated...

Eeyore Sep 26th 2007 8:34 pm

Re: DEWA Online Activation

If I were you I'd just go down to a DEWA office and do it in person. It's difficult enough trying to get the Salik website to accept a recharge by credit card...

typical Sep 26th 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5358235)
If I were you I'd just go down to a DEWA office and do it in person. It's difficult enough trying to get the Salik website to accept a recharge by credit card...

Aye, will do tomorrow. Don't really know what's going on - they told me on the phone there'd be no problem if the landlord cleared the charges, but they told him he had to disconnect and then they'd reconnect us (and I mean physically - our power will be switched off for a day :confused: )...

Ah well, will hopefully meet him tomorrow in a DEWA office and get it all sorted! I think I underestimated just how much of a sense of humour is needed to live here :lol:

Border Reiver Sep 27th 2007 7:26 am

If they disconnect you and then reconnect they can charge you a reconnection fee which I think is about 60Dhs, although it has probably gone up. Well, the locals' subsidized electricity has to be paid for by somebody you know...

Blue Cat Sep 27th 2007 7:33 am

Visa File no - residency visa number maybe???

typical Sep 27th 2007 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5359424)
Visa File no - residency visa number maybe???

Which number is that?

Blue Cat Sep 27th 2007 7:40 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 5359430)
Which number is that?

don't know, it was just a guess?? I assume your residency visa has a number on it, probs in arabic though?

typical Sep 27th 2007 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5359440)
don't know, it was just a guess?? I assume your residency visa has a number on it, probs in arabic though?

I can't see any arabic numbers, and the (western) number that is on it is too long for the website to accept :(

Guess I'll head down there later and do it in person. What a pain.

Sabi Star Sep 28th 2007 9:05 am

Can anyone post the DEWA office address and phone number please - i may need to contact them - as buying a flat ( resale) - completing soon and haven't a clue! Thanks

IndieG Sep 28th 2007 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 5359416)
If they disconnect you and then reconnect they can charge you a reconnection fee which I think is about 60Dhs, although it has probably gone up. Well, the locals' subsidized electricity has to be paid for by somebody you know...

AED 2000 - DEWA connection charges for apartment owners in JBR :eek:

Border Reiver Sep 29th 2007 8:38 am

Thought the deposit was only 1,000Dhs for an apartment? Or is the connection charge something different?

IndieG Sep 29th 2007 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 5367274)
Thought the deposit was only 1,000Dhs for an apartment? Or is the connection charge something different?

Think connection charge is different - but owners there are being ripped off by these so called incidental expenses.... When you buy such an expensive apartment, one would have thought it came with W&E connected!