British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   DEWA housing fees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/dewa-housing-fees-599517/)

Cry haddock Mar 24th 2009 5:11 am

DEWA housing fees

Anybody ever heard of a company making a random deduction from your salary to cover DEWA housing fees that they claim they have to pay to the government? The fee taken bears no relation to the individual's rent and is taken if your name is not on the DEWA bill. So to be clear, if the bill is in anyone else's name (including your wife or father etc) then you are charged a fee.
Ever heard of this?
CH

MataHari Mar 24th 2009 5:17 am

Re: DEWA housing fees

you thinking of setting up your own company...

Cry haddock Mar 24th 2009 5:27 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7412471)
you thinking of setting up your own company...

Nope - just been told that the missing 2k from my salary is because my name is not on the DEWA bill.
crazy

Shehryar Mar 24th 2009 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 7412459)
Anybody ever heard of a company making a random deduction from your salary to cover DEWA housing fees that they claim they have to pay to the government? The fee taken bears no relation to the individual's rent and is taken if your name is not on the DEWA bill. So to be clear, if the bill is in anyone else's name (including your wife or father etc) then you are charged a fee.
Ever heard of this?
CH

I thought everyone has to pay Housing Fees to DM (as part of the DEWA bill)? I have been paying them for a few years, I think they were first introduced in early 2006. Approx 5% of the rental value/amount of a property.

The amount gets added to the DEWA bill every month, and is payable with the bill, in fact is included in it. My DEWA bills were in the name of my employer, but I settled each bill myself. My employer did give me a refund of the housing fees component of the bill - they said they would be able to claim it back from DM or something...to be honest, I didn't ask many questions, just collected the reimbursements! :)

In your case, do you see Housing Fees on your monthly DEWA bill? If so, who pays those fees, you or your employer? If the employer has been paying the fees and settling your DEWA bills on your behalf, then maybe they could be entitled to make deductions from your salary?

lionheart Mar 24th 2009 8:01 am

Not everyone has to pay DEWA housing fees. Only on newish properties I believe.

Shehryar Mar 24th 2009 8:04 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7412832)

You must be right, my flat was new when we moved in. I did have colleagues paying the fees too who were not in bran-new properties, but probably 'new-ish'....

admon Mar 24th 2009 8:06 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7412832)

false. All expats (is it non GCC?) people renting in Dubai are legally obliged to pay it.

Thats why RERA and DM are so keen to get everyones rent contract registered.

If they do no know what rent you are paying, then DM via DEWA, cannot charge the fee

Shehryar Mar 24th 2009 8:14 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7412847)
Thats why RERA and DM are so keen to get everyones rent contract registered.

I never registered mine though, nor did the other people I know who have to pay Housing Fees. Presumably the landlords (large companies) did the registrations as part of their normal working practice. Wouldn't be surprised if there is an obligation on LL to register contracts then, if that's how DM collects the fees.

To be honest, the amount isn't that outrageous. On a complete tangent...the average Council Tax I paid in the UK was around 10% of the rental value of the property (yes I know that's not how it is calculated, but it always worked out in that range, +/- 2%) - and the only Council services I ever used (and which are worth using...the rest is all 'diversity crap') were the libraries and the rubbish collection. The former were generally very good, the latter completely erm.. rubbish! Refuse collected just once a week on a certain day, can only be certain size, must be sorted by the householder, they would not collect certain items, bla bla bla. Here, I pay 5% (ie half of the UK cost), get no libraries but at least get all household rubbish collected everyday...no questions asked :)

Of course, the above 'argument' falls flat on its face if DM isn't responsible for rubbish collection :)

admon Mar 24th 2009 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Shehryar (Post 7412866)
I never registered mine though, nor did the other people I know who have to pay Housing Fees. Presumably the landlords (large companies) did the registrations as part of their normal working practice. Wouldn't be surprised if there is an obligation on LL to register contracts then, if that's how DM collects the fees.
:)

The rent contracts will have been presented for the dewa contract, hence they have the information required to bill..

Cry haddock Mar 24th 2009 8:27 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7412879)
The rent contracts will have been presented for the dewa contract, hence they have the information required to bill..

thanks for the input, housing fees are 5% of rent payable on DEWA bill by everyone except those lucky enough to have slipped through the net so far. This is a tax, the merits of which can debated another time.

in this case, you can have proof of payment of your housing fees for your address but if the bill is not in your name then the firm deduct a fixed amount (unrelated to your rent) from salary.

Any similar experiences?

admon Mar 24th 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 7412905)
thanks for the input, housing fees are 5% of rent payable on DEWA bill by everyone except those lucky enough to have slipped through the net so far. This is a tax, the merits of which can debated another time.

in this case, you can have proof of payment of your housing fees for your address but if the bill is not in your name then the firm deduct a fixed amount (unrelated to your rent) from salary.

Any similar experiences?

hang on, we have a 'thread control freak'..

Cry haddock Mar 24th 2009 8:52 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7412917)
hang on, we have a 'thread control freak'..

twunt

Shehryar Mar 24th 2009 8:53 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7412879)

You're right.....I did my DEWA thingee so long ago, had forgotten the process.

So when there's money involved, the various govt. depts and bureaucracies do share information in a seamless and efficient way... wonderful!

admon Mar 24th 2009 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 7412963)
twunt

oooh go on call me something else and scare me..

a real shame that about your dewa bill, I can see it has reeeaaally devastated you..

Autonomy Mar 24th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7412967)
oooh go on call me something else and scare me..

a real shame that about your dewa bill, I can see it has reeeaaally devastated you..

you're boring the hell out of me - settle down and add something useful at least 10% of the time.