Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

DEWA Bills and "Housing Fees"

DEWA Bills and "Housing Fees"

Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default DEWA Bills and "Housing Fees"

Now that we have the much threatened "Housing Fees" appearing on the DEWA bills I was wondering if anybody has actually been down to DEWA to "register" their tenancy agreement? If you have bought the place you are living in what are you supposed to do? It says on the bit of paper that came with this month's bill that the fees will be set at 5% of the rental value or "value estimated by Dubai Municipality." Does anyone have any idea how they go about estimating a rental value?
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Singlemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: DEWA Bills and "Housing Fees"

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Now that we have the much threatened "Housing Fees" appearing on the DEWA bills I was wondering if anybody has actually been down to DEWA to "register" their tenancy agreement? If you have bought the place you are living in what are you supposed to do? It says on the bit of paper that came with this month's bill that the fees will be set at 5% of the rental value or "value estimated by Dubai Municipality." Does anyone have any idea how they go about estimating a rental value?
Haven't been to DEWA, not sure we're suposed to..will have to check it out

I have a question reagrding rent, in order to have a decent life and save money (aren't we here for that!), what's the max proportion of ones salary should go for rent? Any suggestions? pleeeaaasseee
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:53 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Singlemom
Haven't been to DEWA, not sure we're suposed to..will have to check it out

I have a question reagrding rent, in order to have a decent life and save money (aren't we here for that!), what's the max proportion of ones salary should go for rent? Any suggestions? pleeeaaasseee
it depends on what the salary is...

if someone earns a salary of 5000aed then he'd better pay a max of 1000 for rent ie live in Ajman

if someone earns 50000aed, even if he spends 50% of his salary on rent, he is still ok

Just a theory
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:53 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

I think that the estimates have more to do with your electricity/water consumption patterns over the year. They come in to check actual meter readings every other month and 'estimate' your bill for the remaining months.

I know it sounds a little unfair, but thats DEWA for u.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
I think that the estimates have more to do with your electricity/water consumption patterns over the year. They come in to check actual meter readings every other month and 'estimate' your bill for the remaining months.

I know it sounds a little unfair, but thats DEWA for u.
Yes, I know how they work out the water and electricity bit but I was asking about the "Housing Fees" that have just appeared as an extra line on the bill- this is the 5% municipality tax on rent that hardly anybody ever paid before so they have decided to add it to the DEWA bills.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Singlemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of lightSinglemom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nabs
it depends on what the salary is...

if someone earns a salary of 5000aed then he'd better pay a max of 1000 for rent ie live in Ajman

if someone earns 50000aed, even if he spends 50% of his salary on rent, he is still ok

Just a theory
Thanks nabs
Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:22 am
Just Joined

PartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nicePartyGirl is just really nice
Angry Re: DEWA Bills and "Housing Fees"

I called them yesterday to find out what the Housing Fee was... being new to Dubai we didn't know that this was threatened. As our fee was exactly 5% of our monthly rent, we just assumed that the landlord told them when he transferred the DEWA account from himself to us...
Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PartyGirl
I called them yesterday to find out what the Housing Fee was... being new to Dubai we didn't know that this was threatened. As our fee was exactly 5% of our monthly rent, we just assumed that the landlord told them when he transferred the DEWA account from himself to us...
So I take it you didn't have to go down to DEWA with your tenancy agreement then, and they are just automatically adding it to your bill? My next question is how do they "estimate" the rental value of your property if you have bought it and therefore have no tenancy agreement? Anybody got experience of this?

Btw, welcome to the board (and to Dubai) PartyGirl. Everybody is crazy here, as you may have noticed. Must be the heat.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:52 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

This is a pretty sore point at the mo. Alot of companies(mine included) used to have to pay the MTax and then it'd be deducted from our salary on a monthly basis. Anyway, recently moved and the DEWA bill now includes M Tax and its also been paid by the company. The municipality say, oh yeh, thats right you've paid twice. But you'r not getting the cash back!!

Nice people.....lots of money to loose.........
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:07 pm
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
This is a pretty sore point at the mo. Alot of companies(mine included) used to have to pay the MTax and then it'd be deducted from our salary on a monthly basis. Anyway, recently moved and the DEWA bill now includes M Tax and its also been paid by the company. The municipality say, oh yeh, thats right you've paid twice. But you'r not getting the cash back!!

Nice people.....lots of money to loose.........

What's loose
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:34 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

PHP Code:
[QUOTE=Jellybean]What's loose :confused: ;)[/QUOTE] 
That would be telling