Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Desi DNA in the UAE

Desi DNA in the UAE

Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:39 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Desi DNA in the UAE

Originally Posted by fazzo
hey! ooooh, look at me! im new too! ive been here a few months and love some things and not others.. i guess its the same everywhere you go..

regarding the brit/brown thing, i encounter that all the time. ive kind of grown used to it and find myself giving up trying and a few times i tell them what they wanna hear boy does that confuses them.. "but sir, your accent doesnt sound pakistani?"... theres just no winning...
I think its because in Dubai, if both your parents are from another country (ie Pakistan) but you were born and raised in dubai, you would still be a pakistani. Actually, even if your mum was an emirati and father Pakistani, you would still be a Pakistani and have to spend your life trying to get visa's. So I guess if they don't know how the UK works that is why they ask you this question.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - funny thing is that many emiratis are "originally" iranian, african & indian, some even have mongol blood from the days of the Khanate of the Golden Horde - a throwback to the last period of history when the gulf states were a major sea-trade route...

As for the brits - Angles, Saxes, Jutes, Bretons, Gauls, Celts, Nords.... and that was before all us ex-empire types came along to spice up the national flavor!!

i just tell people that i exist beyond the illusion of racial & national identity, stick my nose in the air and swagger away.....
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:14 am
Get Up Offa That Thing

fazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nice

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
i just tell people that i exist beyond the illusion of racial & national identity, stick my nose in the air and swagger away.....
ahhhh... a fellow space brother
Old Feb 20th 2007, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Yo Jean-Luc Picard, my man.

I wanna lodge a complaint against the lack of desi brothers in star trek... Seems the only rep we have is that dodgy doctor (Kashmiri dude, given that he has blue eyes???)

What's the chance of an immigration visa for deep space 9????

Think you need a few decent doctors, lawyers, engineers and paan shops up there.......
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I wanna lodge a complaint against the lack of desi brothers in star trek... Seems the only rep we have is that dodgy doctor (Kashmiri dude, given that he has blue eyes???)

Think you need a few decent doctors, lawyers, engineers and paan shops up there.......
and la bollywood stylee - singing and dancing around the spaceships

How do you know he is kashmiri? I have green eyes
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:17 am
Get Up Offa That Thing

fazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nice

rofl. the federation does not tolerate paan stains on the floor i think all of the 'undesirables' were 'hired' to create the huge space stations and the starships but get no recognition or acceptance to that fact. if you head down to the gamma quadrant where you will find huge colonies of desi'ites on uninhabitable worlds.. just be careful who you take along with you though.. women tend to be gawped at till their skin burns

in all seriousness, i think trek just reflects the level of acting talent thats available at any given time. times are changing though and who knows, perhaps in the near future we will see some brothers

What's the chance of an immigration visa for deep space 9????

Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
and la bollywood stylee - singing and dancing around the spaceships

How do you know he is kashmiri? I have green eyes
point taken, indie gee - i have green eyes too but suspect this is from irish chromasomes.

Bet you're real gora, too!!!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

rofl. the federation does not tolerate paan stains on the floor i think all of the 'undesirables' were 'hired' to create the huge space stations and the starships but get no recognition or acceptance to that fact. if you head down to the gamma quadrant where you will find huge colonies of desi'ites on uninhabitable worlds.. just be careful who you take along with you though.. women tend to be gawped at till their skin burns

in all seriousness, i think trek just reflects the level of acting talent thats available at any given time. times are changing though and who knows, perhaps in the near future we will see some brothers
let's start a campaign to get Shilpa a role then.... Her wooden acting style will fit right in with all those trekkie pinnochio's......
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Bet you're real gora, too!!!
Naaah........ totally Desi through and through
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can you imagine your fantasy ad in the "matrimonials" section of the Khaleej times, then???

IndieGirl, pure desi, very fair, green eyes, British Passport, professional Lady, living in Dubai...... seeking a suitable boy. Expert maker of fluffy puris and keeper of top number 1 recipe for garam massala. Good with children, wet-sari dancing and arching eye-brows theatrically.. Never considers using anything else but purest "Tilda" basmati!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

mmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nice

haha

just had a thought bought us lot in a space ship ordering those instant meals from those microwave looking things.

doh roti, ik chicken karahi teh gulabjaman naal dood putti. teh oi bhai gildee kur burri boook lughe!!!
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:27 am
Get Up Offa That Thing

I have green eyes
owww, you tricked us.. there was i thinking you had big braaaan eyes
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:35 am
Get Up Offa That Thing

[QUOTE=shakh your bootie;4429328]let's start a campaign to get Shilpa ..... [QUOTE]

Shilpa who?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

owww, you tricked us.. there was i thinking you had big braaaan eyes

Oi Gadhaa - that's my complexion. I'm desi remember?

Green eyes .....DNA goof up

Shak your Bhooths - shall reply later
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:28 am
Get Up Offa That Thing

Oi Gadhaa - that's my complexion. I'm desi remember?
Ouch! ive not been called that since that day i broke my mums Brother sewing machine many many years ago

My gran had the most beautiful green eyes it passed on to her daughter (me aunt) and some of her daughters..

I think the Brits left more than just the rail system when they left back in the days