British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Deportation Issue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/deportation-issue-874353/)

mission Mar 15th 2016 4:28 pm

Deportation Issue

I was wondering if anyone can put me touch with someone who can possibly help.

To cut a long story short, a very good family friend, who is Syrian is about to get deported from Dubai.

He has a working visa and everything was above board, he took a couple of weeks vacation (stayed in Dubai) and while on vacation he was given the opportunity to work for another company on a trial basis to see if both he and the company were compatible. No one thought it would be an issue.

During that trial period the labour ministry made a random visit to the offices to check everyone's visa statuses. He, was of course 'working' there while being on a different company visa, which was explained to the authorities at the time, but they were having none of it and so a report was filed.

Fast forward just over 6 months (this is how long it has taken to go through the various stages in court) and after 3 very brief appearances in court, along with the GM's of both companies (with no lawyers present), and not been given any opportunity to address the court with their side of the story, the final verdict came through today, he will now have to be deported. For obvious reasons he does not want to go back to Syria. We, at this stage have no idea what recourse he has, if any. If anyone can recommend a good employment lawyer or put me in touch with someone who might be able to help, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

soukie Mar 15th 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Deportation Issue

Al Tamimi are good although reading the above there may not be a lot that can be done as he was working illegally.

Meow Mar 15th 2016 6:03 pm

His chances of getting a decision overturned is no more than 1% and would be costly in terms of lawyers fees. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

mission Mar 15th 2016 6:43 pm

thanks SOUKIE & MEOW

to add further.....we just found out when looking at his case online...he's first 2 court appearances have been filed under his case number and under his correct name....the last court update with the verdict is under his case number but with a different name....so we are now thinking that maybe there has been some kind of administrative error.....not sure if we bring this to the court's attention that anything could be done....although we don't even know how to bring it to the courts attention....probably clutching at straws:(

shiva Mar 16th 2016 6:04 am

as a syrian he has no chance right now.

They are turfing out syrians as fast as they can at the moment

TGFKASE Apr 5th 2016 8:40 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11896795)
as a syrian he has no chance right now.

They are turfing out syrians as fast as they can at the moment

Id be surprised if there are any Syrians left in the UAE by now..

DXBtoDOH Apr 5th 2016 8:59 am

There's probably more to the story than we're (or you're) being told. There usually is.

Never heard of Labour ministry making random visits to the offices to check everyone's visa statuses unless they were deliberately tipped off in advance? Probably says a lot about the company in question. I asked our PRO. We've been in the region for quite some time but we've never been randomly visited by any government official.

mission Apr 5th 2016 11:59 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11914176)
There's probably more to the story than we're (or you're) being told. There usually is.

Never heard of Labour ministry making random visits to the offices to check everyone's visa statuses unless they were deliberately tipped off in advance? Probably says a lot about the company in question. I asked our PRO. We've been in the region for quite some time but we've never been randomly visited by any government official.

I have no reason to lie....this is exactly what happened...maybe it was a tip off...but a random visit was made. And for the record even though I work in the freezone we have had random visits from Jafza authorities asking those who are in the office at the time to produce our employment/labour cards.