Denied Boarding

Old Dec 3rd 2018, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

shoaibahmed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Denied Boarding

Hi All,

I was traveling to Dubai from London Heathrow. I am a British National. I was refused to board, the airline had to call UAE once they spoke to someone they came back and told me that I wasn't allowed to board or fly to UAE. They have asked me to go to the UAE embassy in London.

Has anyone had this before, is this something to do with a security clearance?

Thanks,
Shoaib
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 4:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied Boarding

Do you hold citizenship in another country as well. Or perhaps did and renounced it? Is your name (which might be common) on a no fly list?
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

shoaibahmed is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a UK Citezen. I’ve travelled to Europe no problems.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a Freedom Of Information request to find out exactly why you were refused boarding with the Airline.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is entirely relevant to your situation. I have Egyptian and South African colleagues who hold GCC residency in Bahrain and KSA. Theoretically based on GCC residency entry on arrival to Dubai as with other nationalities would be possible. These guys need to have a visa which is issued after a CID check.

So as previously mentioned, maybe your name is a common one that might be on a list somewhere and needs to be checked.

A visit to the embassy might be faster than a FOI check with the airline.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 9:05 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

If you did nothing wrong then you should file a complaint with EU's Air Passenger Rights asap.

More details in this link.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 10:24 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that's relevant, since the UAE isn't in the EU. The airline presumably has to respect the rulings of the destination country - imagine the potential litigation by the OP if they flew him to an entry refusal (or worse) at Immigration in Dubai.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 9:43 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
I'm not sure that's relevant, since the UAE isn't in the EU. The airline presumably has to respect the rulings of the destination country - imagine the potential litigation by the OP if they flew him to an entry refusal (or worse) at Immigration in Dubai.
If you click on the links you'll see the rights of passengers departing from/to an EU airport - regardless of the origination and destination points of their travel.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 7:43 am
Just Joined

farooq12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of option to go and check the embassy or rightly pointed out to use the rights to info act.
Old Dec 25th 2018, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
You can do a Freedom Of Information request to find out exactly why you were refused boarding with the Airline.
Does FOI apply to an airline ? ..... thought it applied to public bodies !

If the destination immigration authority tell the airline not to fly you into the country the airline is obliged to act on their instructions not a lot you can say. In the same way they can deny you entry when you arrive. I doubt the airline will have any detail.

Follow their advice advice and speak to the embassy.

Old Jan 1st 2019, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Edo
If you click on the links you'll see the rights of passengers departing from/to an EU airport - regardless of the origination and destination points of their travel.
I don't see the relevance to this link. It deals with rights of passangers denied from boarding due to faults by the airline. In this case the passenger has been denied boarding because he will be denied entry into the UAE. The airline will then have the responsibility of returning him to the UK (assuming he does not get arrested on arrival). It is in the passengers interest to be denied boarding.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If denied entry or if a visa is blocked, country taking that action has no duty to tell you why
Old Jan 7th 2019, 6:20 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
If denied entry or if a visa is blocked, country taking that action has no duty to tell you why
His question was about denied boarding. Two different things. So if an airline issues you a ticket and then denies you boarding then they do have certain obligations under the EU law.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
His question was about denied boarding. Two different things. So if an airline issues you a ticket and then denies you boarding then they do have certain obligations under the EU law.
i think you might find that denied boarding legislation applies to overbooked flights ...... it doesn’t apply to denied boarding for other reasons such as drunkenness, bad behaviour etc and I doubt it applies to this scenario.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 7:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
Does FOI apply to an airline ? ..... thought it applied to public bodies! ….
You are correct, but I think he meant "Subject Access Request" under the Data Protection Act, which applies to any organization that holds your personal data - meaning anything that can be linked directly to you personally. In this case the airline has a name and other records, at least sufficient to match it to a passport when the passenger arrives at the airport, and in this case, apparently some derogatory information which means he wasn't allowed to board the aircraft.

That said, I suspect that the information the airline actually has is only that the destination country has said that he won't be admitted into the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.