British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Denial of Justice in UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/denial-justice-uae-743388/)

Ghazi1st Jan 1st 2012 7:03 am

Denial of Justice in UAE

Time to time there the Media covered some stories of British people who got involved in incidents as Accused or as Victims.

I came across an interesting news on CNN website. It was a story of a British citizen who has been denied justice from UAE judicial system.

Here is the link of the story from CNN website:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-723477

The most valuable point which the reader can extract from the story that even among the modern city of Dubai, the Role of Corruption is taking place.

I thought Dubai might be an exception in the region, but after going deep inside the report I came up with a conclusion that Dubai is not.

A Question came up in my mind after reading the story and I want to discuss with you in this forum :

Do you really think the Embassy is taking care of the British Citizen? and if Not:
Who is to blame? the Rules and Regulation which shackled the Embassy from Assisting it's nationals?
The People in Charge of serving the citizen?
or The British People who got themselves in troubles?

iamthestig Jan 1st 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Denial of Justice in UAE

The standard of written English in that article suggests to me it was not written by a native speaker. Also, it was posted twice on that CNN open forum, and is not official CNN report but a user contribution.

Looks a bit fishy to me

Ghazi1st Jan 1st 2012 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by iamthestig (Post 9814570)
The standard of written English in that article suggests to me it was not written by a native speaker.

Hi there, well you came up with some ideas which are not the goal of the post.

As I ended my post I want my citizens to discuss the article from the aspect of the service which should be delivered by the Embassy.

Anyway, because of the point you mentioned I find myself in need to brainstorm your points.

First of all, let me explain that the purpose for reading any story, in ignorance to the race, root or the color of the writer, should be to get the most benefit of the story, whether the author was defined - as per the mentality of some people - as a native citizen or from a lower class .

By the way, It is suitable to remind that We as Expats, always considered in the place where we stay as second or third or might be forth class.

Second, the doubtful behavior about the reality of the story should not be a matter of concern, especially that it is not the goal of the discussion which I suggested within the thread.

And if someone ever intended to check about the truth of the story, he could do so, by contacting the author through the website where the story is displayed.

Third point, I am totally convinced that the definition of a British national according to the British constitution is that the one who is holding the British nationality, regardless of his place of birth, religion, ethnic group or color.

Forth, as regard the standard of writing, I believe it was perfect as much as some contributors' standard in this forum and probably better.

Finally, as for posting the Article twice, I guess it is due to the human being's nature which it was brought with him since his birth, this is called the desire for perfection, exactly as some people post their reply and within 2 minutes they change their minds and came back again to amend what they just posted.

I hope we concentrate in discussing the below points:

Do you really think the Embassy is taking care of the British Citizen? and if Not:
Who is to blame? the Rules and Regulation which shackled the Embassy from Assisting it's nationals?

OleJanx Jan 1st 2012 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ghazi1st (Post 9814943)

As I ended my post I want my citizens to discuss the article from the aspect of the service which should be delivered by the Embassy.

Anyway, because of the point you mentioned I find myself in need to brainstorm your points.

First of all, let me explain that the purpose for reading any story, in ignorance to the race, root or the color of the writer, should be to get the most benefit of the story, whether the author was defined - as per the mentality of some people - as a native citizen or from a lower class .

By the way, It is suitable to remind that We as Expats, always considered in the place where we stay as second or third or might be forth class.

Second, the doubtful behavior about the reality of the story should not be a matter of concern, especially that it is not the goal of the discussion which I suggested within the thread.

And if someone ever intended to check about the truth of the story, he could do so, by contacting the author through the website where the story is displayed.

Third point, I am totally convinced that the definition of a British national according to the British constitution is that the one who is holding the British nationality, regardless of his place of birth, religion, ethnic group or color.

Forth, as regard the standard of writing, I believe it was perfect as much as some contributors' standard in this forum and probably better.

Finally, as for posting the Article twice, I guess it is due to the human being's nature which it was brought with him since his birth, this is called the desire for perfection, exactly as some people post their reply and within 2 minutes they change their minds and came back again to amend what they just posted.

In answer to your points:
1. Doubt the Embassy is doing much. Their main interest is business, not citizens.
2. Who to blame? Oil and politics
3. Serving the citizen? Grow up...
4.British citizens, like everyone else have an infinate capacity to bugger things up and ignore the laws of land, particularly when money is involved.

Norm_uk Jan 2nd 2012 4:30 am

Sorry to be pedantic but Britain has no proper Constitution to speak of, unless you count a mish mash of legal rulings, ancient laws and proclamations going back centuries. A British citizen as currently defined is simply someone with a British passport/birth certificate stating they are a British citizen. I personally feel citizenship should entail a lot more than that but that's another subject.

I agree that when reading something like this the purpose is to try and see what the writer is saying rather than if they could pass a Oxford exam in English.

In any case there are many examples of denials of justice in the UAE - this is not a developed country in legal or social terms yet, held back by tribal constraints and interpretation of religious laws plus some good old fashioned corruption and racism. I have friends who have lost their businesses due to government and semi-government bodies not paying them for services delivered who have zero recourse to complain, protest or seek compensation. I even know a local this has happened to in Dubai - completely screwed over.

N.

flares Jan 2nd 2012 4:59 am

I wholeheartedly agree with this...but Brit passports should automatically be cancelled for anyone who continually drops the 'u' from colour, labour, neighbour etc...and replaced with a US passport

iamthestig Jan 2nd 2012 6:17 am

Who is to blame?

Not the British embassy, or even the Egyptian embassy, who were probably careless and incompetent rather than complicit in the case. The blame lies with the scammer who took this company for AED20M, and the owners of this company for not doing due diligence. Were you, by any chance involved...?

iamthestig Jan 2nd 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9815525)
I wholeheartedly agree with this...but Brit passports should automatically be cancelled for anyone who continually drops the 'u' from colour, labour, neighbour etc...and replaced with a US passport

:rofl:

Paracletus Jan 2nd 2012 6:22 am

Here here. How could you expect any votes if you were in a political party called la-bore..

The Dean Jan 2nd 2012 12:37 pm

...... or he should be rewarded for refusing to allow the irritating French/Norman/Huguenot influence to corrupt the original and beautiful Latin spelling. Full marks to the US in my book.

Hello.Kitty Jan 2nd 2012 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9815997)
...... or he should be rewarded for refusing to allow the irritating French/Norman/Huguenot influence to corrupt the original and beautiful Latin spelling. Full marks to the US in my book.

so you eat pig, cow and sheep then?

hnd Jan 2nd 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9815595)
Here here. How could you expect any votes if you were in a political party called la-bore..

"Here here"?!

OleJanx Jan 2nd 2012 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9815595)

Phonetically, it's more "Lay- boor" or boring f**ks...

Paracletus Jan 3rd 2012 2:27 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 9816594)
"Here here"?!

Completely devoid of imagination today? :starsmile:

Norm_uk Jan 3rd 2012 3:25 pm

A lot of people with British passports don't seem to be very British culturally these days...citizenship is just a piece of paper, at least for us. Welcome to the new world....I know British schools are not even bothering to teach British spelling convention - it's not like we invented English or something! :sneaky:

N.