British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Degree Verification vs. Degree Attestation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/degree-verification-vs-degree-attestation-544406/)

n1na Jun 21st 2008 10:07 pm

Degree Verification vs. Degree Attestation

We intend to move to Abu Dhabi on a employment base. As I have US diploma, it appears that rather complicated Degree Attestation has been required. The HR department of my employer gave me the following info:

Step 1: Notarization in the state where diploma has been issued (California)
Step 2: Attestation in the UAE consulate in the Washington D.C.

The attestation has apparently not been required for UK diplomas; but there was a different rule for any other country.

Reading the site of the Ministry of Labour www.emol.ae, I understood that Degree Attestation has been replaced by Degree Verification on 4 September 2005. According to this info, Degrees from all countries need to be Verified and not mor Attested. That would meen the same procedure for UK and US diplomas.

Was the info from the HR of my employer wrong? Does anyone has the experience with this issue? It appears to be crucial in obtaining work permit.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Yam Yam Jun 21st 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Degree Verification vs. Degree Attestation

Your info is correct, we are all in the same boat now. I am from the UK with UK based qualifications and I am awaiting the return of the certified copies of my certificates from the UAE embassy. I am based in Australia, so the process has been very hard. Its worth the struggle, because its great out there!!

I had to get my certificates copied and then those copies had to be certified as true copies by a Notary public. I then had to approach the Dept of foreign affairs to get their stamp, before sending them off to the UAE embassy for their approval.............Hopefully they arrive back safely.

My advice would be to speak to someone direct at the UAE embassy to expalin the process. I was told several different ways to do the process, none of them the same.

Good luck

Inselaffen Jun 22nd 2008 5:58 am

Had to get my UK degree signed by a Solicitor, then Authenticated by the Foreign Office before sending it to the UAE Embassy in London.

So we are all in the same boat.

MacScot Jun 22nd 2008 6:32 am

Originally Posted by n1na (Post 6490165)
We intend to move to Abu Dhabi on a employment base. As I have US diploma, it appears that rather complicated Degree Attestation has been required. The HR department of my employer gave me the following info:

Step 1: Notarization in the state where diploma has been issued (California)
Step 2: Attestation in the UAE consulate in the Washington D.C.

The attestation has apparently not been required for UK diplomas; but there was a different rule for any other country.

Reading the site of the Ministry of Labour www.emol.ae, I understood that Degree Attestation has been replaced by Degree Verification on 4 September 2005. According to this info, Degrees from all countries need to be Verified and not mor Attested. That would meen the same procedure for UK and US diplomas.

Was the info from the HR of my employer wrong? Does anyone has the experience with this issue? It appears to be crucial in obtaining work permit.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Here are the 4 steps that I was advised to follow in getting one's certificates legalised and attested (UK in my case).

Step 1

Original or a photocopy of the Certificate stamped by a Notary Public or Solicitor

Step 2

Original or a photocopy of the Certificate endorsed by The Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the country which issued the document.

Contact number +442070081500

Step 3

Have the original or photocopy of the Certificate attested by a UAE Consulate or Embassy in Your Home Country.

Contact number +442075811281

Step 4

Have the above Certificate Stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Dubai

Hope some of above may be of help.

n1na Jun 22nd 2008 8:11 am

Well, something is obviously wrong because the replies are still contradicting.

The procedure of Degree Verification is relatively simple. According to www.emol.ae it is necessary only to fill out one application at www.integrascreen.com and give them a simple photocopy of your diploma. After that, IntegraScreen contacts the Universities around the world directly and veryfy your diploma.

Contrary to that, the procedure Degree Attestation is very complicated, requiring Diploma notarization and attestation.

Current respondents confirm that the procedure now is identical for all countries (typical for Degree Verification) but that they were required to notarize and attest their diplomas (typical for Degree Attestation). These two characteristics are contradictory - and it looks like that we are all somehow wrong.

Is there anyone in this forum who can help us with the up to date info>

soukie Jun 22nd 2008 9:48 am

It is the same for all countries - the rules changed at the end of April 2008 (I think) and the "simple" (integra.com) system you describe has changed. It applies to all countries and basically it is an old system which has been reintroduced to stop people with fake certificates working in UAE.

n1na Jun 22nd 2008 6:55 pm

Dear Soukie,

if you confirm that I am right about simplified procedure (Degree Verification), why are Yam Yam, Inselaffen and MacScot reporting about pursuing the complicated procedure (Degree Attestation)?

Normally, you would need only to fill out the form at IntegraScreen.com and they will perfor the degree verification.

However, Yam Yam, Inselaffen and MacScott are describing their efforts to get the certified, notarized and attested copies of their diplomas, typical for the procedure of Degree Attestation.

I find it odd. The entire forum is focused on United Arab Emirates and the employment is the only way to get there. So, without a proof of your degree, you can simply not get a working permit.

soukie Jun 22nd 2008 7:29 pm

Hi n1na
Sorry if my reply was confusing - I'll start again - the IntegraScreen.com system is no longer valid - the system that Yam Yam, Inselaffen and MacScot describe IS the correct system which is now in place and has been from the end of April 2008 (approx). The current system which is now in place was actually the system before IntegraScreen.com arrived (now obsolete) so it looks like they have reverted back to the original system! Confused ? :blink: This is how things happen in UAE - wait till you arrive and you will see what I mean......

soukie Jun 22nd 2008 8:20 pm

Hi again n1na
This is the report from the Gulf News for further clarification http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10207568.html