Decision Time!!

Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:52 pm
mxt
Just Joined

mxt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decision Time!!

Hi all,

So very close to accepting the final offer to move to Dubai. Wife is close to transferring with her company as well. We live in the US and besides the cold winters and distance from the rest of the world, life is pretty good. There's an itch though to try something new but don't obviously want to take a bit hit to our standard of living.

Dubai is all over the news and appears to offer expats a good life. Any quick thoughts on comparisons between the US (or the UK) and Dubai? I realize it's BE but this is honestly the best expat site out there!

Money - we'll make around 650AED annually combined (including housing). Combined that's about 25% more (net, after taxes) than here in US. taxes are quite low here, around 25% for our earnings.

Sorry for being long winded but I'm close to signing the papers. Finally, my job is near AD airport, wife's at financial center - we're looking at the "greens" or jebel ali to divide our driving time. what's it like to live in the outskirts? Things nearby - grocery stores, shopping, restaurants?

Thanks!
Old Sep 21st 2008, 5:07 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Decision Time!!

If you meant to say that you would have a combined income of AED650,000 per annum including housing ( AED53,333 per month), that doesn't sound very much for two salaries, as the housing may set you back AED15,000 per month. I am guessing that you earn that much back home.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mxt
Hi all,

So very close to accepting the final offer to move to Dubai. Wife is close to transferring with her company as well. We live in the US and besides the cold winters and distance from the rest of the world, life is pretty good. There's an itch though to try something new but don't obviously want to take a bit hit to our standard of living.

Dubai is all over the news and appears to offer expats a good life. Any quick thoughts on comparisons between the US (or the UK) and Dubai? I realize it's BE but this is honestly the best expat site out there!

Money - we'll make around 650AED annually combined (including housing). Combined that's about 25% more (net, after taxes) than here in US. taxes are quite low here, around 25% for our earnings.

Sorry for being long winded but I'm close to signing the papers. Finally, my job is near AD airport, wife's at financial center - we're looking at the "greens" or jebel ali to divide our driving time. what's it like to live in the outskirts? Things nearby - grocery stores, shopping, restaurants?

Thanks!
Got any kids that will need schooling?
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mxt
Hi all,

Thanks!

Plenty of stuff down jebel ali, you have ibn battuta mall for starters!

have you broke your wage down and looked at each section? Its great saying we have a combined wage of 650,000 per annum which of course is more than you will earn in the States or UK however, you need to look closely at the number they have allocated you! For example if they say 90,000aed for housing - this aint going to get you very far, not unless you are happy in a one bedroomed apartment, maybe not in the area of your choice.... you may have to put your own money towards this per month?!

Im sure if you are at the final stages and ready to sign you would have looked into this already, best to be prepared!
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:23 pm
mxt
Just Joined

mxt is an unknown quantity at this point

They take 150K AED out and give us an apartment. So 500K +AED for the rest. Tickets, health insurance, children education (in the future), tickets home are in addition to the numbers. I get the sense that besides housing, most other items are comparable in cost to here in the US. Sound right?

More so, what is the driving time between Jebel Ali and AD airport? Are there properties available to rent (or even buy) in the area?

thanks again.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

no properties to rent between dubai and ad, you could buy at the end of ad airport called Al Reef but they are not finished for a year or 2 yet so no help there, i wouldnt do the drive between the two if you can help it as its a nitemare when they will close it next time it gets foggy bad accidents etc.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:40 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mxt
They take 150K AED out and give us an apartment. So 500K +AED for the rest. Tickets, health insurance, children education (in the future), tickets home are in addition to the numbers. I get the sense that besides housing, most other items are comparable in cost to here in the US. Sound right?

More so, what is the driving time between Jebel Ali and AD airport? Are there properties available to rent (or even buy) in the area?

thanks again.
Keep in mind you are liable to pay tax if you are a US citizen working overseas once your income reaches a certain threshold (something like $85,000 if my memory serves).

Driving time from Jebel Ali to AD Airport is about 45mins to 1 hour usually. It's not a pain to drive - it's just the other drivers that make it difficult sometimes

My GF works at near the airport for that small national airline so if you need any tips let me know

N.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
no properties to rent between dubai and ad, you could buy at the end of ad airport called Al Reef but they are not finished for a year or 2 yet so no help there, i wouldnt do the drive between the two if you can help it as its a nitemare when they will close it next time it gets foggy bad accidents etc.
beg to differ, my collegue has just rented one in Shahama
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I think all the housing in Shahama is government housing and therefore just for locals. I didn't think they were able to rent these out.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
I think all the housing in Shahama is government housing and therefore just for locals. I didn't think they were able to rent these out.
Trust me, i wouldnt hire a local....
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:31 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
Trust me, i wouldnt hire a local....
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

people do rent there and bahia etc but it is all defo goverment housin and ment for locals only xxxluck of draw if u are caught u have to leave and lose money etc and local could lose their house ...but needs must and lots do it xxx
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

aa i beg to differ all the housing between ad and dxb is local housing, and they are not allowed to rent to expats, they are houses gifted to them and if they are caught (and municipality is checking in those areas) they are liable to lose their house, and the tenant also all his money. Take it from me I am right, but of course, you can have a go if you like. Shahama, Bahia, Baniyas, New Shahama, Fahal, Raba, Shaila, Mafraq etc is all local housing. The only housing that will be for rent to expats etc will be Al Reef/Hydra when they come on line and Al Ghadeer, otherwise 'illegal housing', so your colleague just better watch out and yes the estate agents tell you that its fine to rent, but have known quite a few 'people' first hand been kicked out, and lost out, yes its cheaper so you run the risk that you may be saving so it doesnt matter.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ill pass your concerns on. Incidentally he is not the only one I am aware of.

It goes on all the time. He went to view about 10 around shahama area.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes i know it goes on, as i know people that live out in those different areas, all i am saying is that the municipality are going around them and checking on them, some have been given no notice and had to up sticks no money etc returned, some were given 4 days to move etc so i know it happens all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.