British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   decent sized villa.....dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/decent-sized-villa-dubai-550754/)

the big nowhere Jul 23rd 2008 1:57 pm

decent sized villa.....dubai

we are now looking into accommodation both rental and purchase in dubai....but everything looks fairly pokey for our budget.....we wanted to spend up to 330,000 a year ,i'm concerned this may not be enough also....where should we look for best villa type property......assuming commuting not a problem....many thanks.

busybee2 Jul 23rd 2008 2:13 pm

Re: decent sized villa.....dubai

have you worked out how much 330k would be in gbp's stupid prices....................

Blue Cat Jul 23rd 2008 2:17 pm

how many bedrooms you after? what area?

the big nowhere Jul 23rd 2008 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6601969)
have you worked out how much 330k would be in gbp's stupid prices....................

hi....no not really worked that out...but not really bothered....only really coming out for the experience if we come at all......so whatever we earn we will spend is the way we look at...

the big nowhere Jul 23rd 2008 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6601986)
how many bedrooms you after? what area?

not sure about the area.....want something established,no real continual construction.....3 beds...

Blue Cat Jul 23rd 2008 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6602055)
not sure about the area.....want something established,no real continual construction.....3 beds...

you could get a three bed on the Springs for that budget, quiet etc. Do a search on bhomes.com. It will give you a rough idea.

Inselaffen Jul 23rd 2008 3:26 pm

330K a year will get a 3 bed villa pretty much anywhere except the palm.

MataHari Jul 23rd 2008 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6601914)
we are now looking into accommodation both rental and purchase in dubai....but everything looks fairly pokey for our budget.....we wanted to spend up to 330,000 a year ,i'm concerned this may not be enough also....where should we look for best villa type property......assuming commuting not a problem....many thanks.

have you ever been to Dubai...

the big nowhere Jul 23rd 2008 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6602589)
have you ever been to Dubai...

no....been to bahrain...not dubai....so this i guess is whywe are still weighing up other destinations as unsure about the place.....whether it is the best place to raise kids......where as sydney and vancouver are more known quantities as we have lived in aus and canada..........

MataHari Jul 24th 2008 3:26 am

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6602643)
no....been to bahrain...not dubai....so this i guess is whywe are still weighing up other destinations as unsure about the place.....whether it is the best place to raise kids......where as sydney and vancouver are more known quantities as we have lived in aus and canada..........

I always find it a bit weird that people make a decision to go and live in another country without having been there...we can give you loads of info but you'll still won't know what it is really like...

Bonny Boy Jul 24th 2008 3:40 am

Bahrain (Manama) is a little big town....compact and nicely presented.

Dubai is a big sprawling city, ragged at the edges (and in between).

IMHO

Hence residence location is important in Dubai compared with Bahrain. You need to be close to your work / schools / leisure activities or be happy with a major commute. Bahrain, on the other hand, is not like that.

The Dean Jul 24th 2008 3:52 am

If I understand you correctly, you have a choice between Dubai, Bahrain, Sydney and Vancouver?

Dubai would come a distant fourth in that list of preferences - Sydney and Vancouver are both stunning cities IMHO (admittedly only had a total of FOUR DAYS in Sydney but loved it).

Bahrain would be my Number One location in this region.

Dubai is now a sprawling mess, dirty and expensive, and which (for its future) will rely heavily on tourists who won't come because they won't be prepared to pay the outrageous prices that everything costs.

Dubai will go bankrupt on the 27th September 2013, just before teatime.

Short term in Dubai? Just come for the experience, and make the most of it.

Long term in Dubai? That would be my second prefence........... my first preference would be to be struck by lightning.........

matthew.lewis2 Jul 24th 2008 4:39 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 6604244)
I always find it a bit weird that people make a decision to go and live in another country without having been there...we can give you loads of info but you'll still won't know what it is really like...

Hand's up, we're guilty! We knew we wanted to expereince a different culture (having never worked overseas before), and Dubai ticked all the right boxes, good warm climate, made financail sense, not excessive flight times from the UK. I did a significant amount of research before, but there was still an element of luck in it. Thankfully its worked out perfectly, and the nearby Mirdiff gang are all hotties :rofl:

admon Jul 24th 2008 8:57 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6604282)
If I understand you correctly, you have a choice between Dubai, Bahrain, Sydney and Vancouver?

Dubai would come a distant fourth in that list of preferences - Sydney and Vancouver are both stunning cities IMHO (admittedly only had a total of FOUR DAYS in Sydney but loved it).

Bahrain would be my Number One location in this region.

Dubai is now a sprawling mess, dirty and expensive, and which (for its future) will rely heavily on tourists who won't come because they won't be prepared to pay the outrageous prices that everything costs.

Dubai will go bankrupt on the 27th September 2013, just before teatime.

Short term in Dubai? Just come for the experience, and make the most of it.

Long term in Dubai? That would be my second prefence........... my first preference would be to be struck by lightning.........

and the writer of this has saudi arabia as his residence...

Nav_72 Jul 24th 2008 9:21 am

:rofl::rofl::rofl: