British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Debtors Prison (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/debtors-prison-591829/)

Desert Rat Feb 16th 2009 2:12 am

Debtors Prison

I understand if a cheque bounces due to insufficent funds in the bank then its off to prison. Surely, this cannot be on an indefinite basis - how on earth can you raise equity if you are locked up in Dubai with no chance of a job etc.

Shadya Feb 16th 2009 2:15 am

Re: Debtors Prison

Originally Posted by Desert Rat (Post 7290449)
I understand if a cheque bounces due to insufficent funds in the bank then its off to prison. Surely, this cannot be on an indefinite basis - how on earth can you raise equity if you are locked up in Dubai with no chance of a job etc.

What about the Pakistani lorry drivers who have to pay Dhs 200,000 blood money and are stuck in prison until the payment is made? It makes little sense but this is Dubai:confused:

Emerald_Eyes Feb 16th 2009 2:27 am

A close friend of mine told me the story of her neighbour, a young Aussie girl who seemed to have disappeared fom her flat unexplicably. About 6 weeks after they last saw her my friend got a call from this girl's lawyer saying she had ended up in jail for being unable to pay her debts and because her housing rent check bounced. This woman wanted my friend to come down to the station with her passport to vouch for her. Fortunately her boyfriend, also a lawyer, told her not to because then she could become liable for this girl's debts. Anyway they eventually called this girl's mother who had to fly over from Australia to pay off her debts and bail her out of prison.

This girl spent 6 weeks in a very small room with about 10 other woman with a toilet in the corner of the room, no windows and no going outside for excercise!

So don't delay those credit card payments and if you can't do that, cut them up!!

commander Feb 16th 2009 2:30 am

how on earth can you raise equity if you are locked up in Dubai with no chance of a job etc.

the question raised by many a person locked in the Dishdash Hilton

Nic1 Feb 16th 2009 2:49 am

Doesn't the person who had the cheque bounced against them (the person to whom the cheque was made out) have to actually file a complaint for the person to go to prison ? Don't think it is automatic, you do get a chance to represent the cheque with good funds.

N

Emerald_Eyes Feb 16th 2009 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 7290542)
Doesn't the person who had the cheque bounced against them (the person to whom the cheque was made out) have to actually file a complaint for the person to go to prison ? Don't think it is automatic, you do get a chance to represent the cheque with good funds.

N

I'm not sure, but I do know this girl had massive credit card debt that she couldnt pay either. It sounds like she was too scared and embarassed to ask for help so she probably couldn't find the funds for the cheque anyway.

Rosebud Feb 16th 2009 3:09 am

If this is to be a swift action without giving a chance to the debtor then the government should increase the number of their prisons to accommodate all who have been terminated from their jobs due to economic down turn and can not pay their commitments. Add to this you only have a month to leave the contry.

busybee2 Feb 16th 2009 3:15 am

they are increasing the prison here in watbha

Rosebud Feb 16th 2009 4:09 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7290618)

No wonder a lot of people are leaving everything behind and leaving in haste. What do they call it, Exodus?

Eva Feb 16th 2009 5:08 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7290618)

Oooooh BBee, bet your wings went into overdrive when you heard that little snippet.
Have you been up to tell the Guv'nor sharing is illegal yet?

busybee2 Feb 16th 2009 5:31 am

eva dont think the subletting rules of the tenant act will apply to government buildings... they are not private dwellings..... and i am sure they are cramming them in now... but they are defo not nice places to be. plus they were extending a long time before all the stuff hit the shovel:blink:

bimcnorth Feb 16th 2009 8:52 am

Originally Posted by issamovahedi (Post 7290599)
If this is to be a swift action without giving a chance to the debtor then the government should increase the number of their prisons to accommodate all who have been terminated from their jobs due to economic down turn and can not pay their commitments. Add to this you only have a month to leave the contry.

Erm, no..you see, the plan is to use all those empty flats in Dubai as temporary "prisons" while allowing the inmates to work of their debts in the Freezone or summat.
It´s been that way since last year and so far no one have noticed..:eek:

Blue Cat Feb 16th 2009 8:59 pm

unless someone bails you out then your there for a long long time.

spartans53 Feb 16th 2009 10:08 pm

Once someone makes a case they take you in and if you are lucky they take your passport off you. Once you get to court the only question they ask is did you sign the cheque and do you have the money. If you don't you go off to jail and they bring you back to court every 14 days to ask the same questions. After 6 months they USUALLY let you make an aggrement to pay the debt off but if you fall behind again you are in deep shit.

This was the case when I had some first hand knowlege but it was a few years ago, don't think the law has changed.

Mike

Blue Cat Feb 16th 2009 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by spartans53 (Post 7293202)
Once someone makes a case they take you in and if you are lucky they take your passport off you. Once you get to court the only question they ask is did you sign the cheque and do you have the money. If you don't you go off to jail and they bring you back to court every 14 days to ask the same questions. After 6 months they USUALLY let you make an aggrement to pay the debt off but if you fall behind again you are in deep shit.

This was the case when I had some first hand knowlege but it was a few years ago, don't think the law has changed.

Mike

the Mike?