British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Debt-international arrest warrant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/debt-international-arrest-warrant-690426/)

USA Oct 21st 2010 4:22 am

Debt-international arrest warrant

i have been convicted in absentia by dubai court for boncing company check and i'm already in USA, stucked and unable to fly back unless this issue is settled.
an international arrest warrant was issued but not sure how the authorities here in US will do regard this as i'm a green card holder and yet to be citizen, any possibility of extradition?
am i able tp travel to UK or Canada without issues or the term of international arrest warrant for the Debt sentenced by court goes more than GCC.
any advices or input for such situation?

Norm_uk Oct 21st 2010 7:26 am

Re: Debt-international arrest warrant

Originally Posted by USA (Post 8932509)
i have been convicted in absentia by dubai court for boncing company check and i'm already in USA, stucked and unable to fly back unless this issue is settled.
an international arrest warrant was issued but not sure how the authorities here in US will do regard this as i'm a green card holder and yet to be citizen, any possibility of extradition?
am i able tp travel to UK or Canada without issues or the term of international arrest warrant for the Debt sentenced by court goes more than GCC.
any advices or input for such situation?

If I would you I would speak to a lawyer in the US about your possible green card issues. Contacting lawyers in Canada and the UK regarding the international arrest warrant might help too. It's too serious a matter to rely on what people in forums post.

And try to contact whoever convicted you in the UAE and work out a settlement - if you are flying nearby and the plane get's diverted you might see the inside of a jail here which you don't want.

N.

USA Oct 21st 2010 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8932780)
If I would you I would speak to a lawyer in the US about your possible green card issues. Contacting lawyers in Canada and the UK regarding the international arrest warrant might help too. It's too serious a matter to rely on what people in forums post.

And try to contact whoever convicted you in the UAE and work out a settlement - if you are flying nearby and the plane get's diverted you might see the inside of a jail here which you don't want.

N.

thanks for the advice , appreciate it.
will try to initiate multi consultation with attorneys in US and in parallel we are working with a lawyer in UAE for the settlement

Bijilo123 Oct 21st 2010 7:30 pm

Well - if you bounced a cheque then don't expect much sympathy.

lionheart Oct 22nd 2010 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8934145)
Well - if you bounced a cheque then don't expect much sympathy.

My thoughts exactly. Don't expect the USA to let you stay there either. It's back to your homeland, wherever that may be. So let's hear your excuse for the bouncing cheque incident and you may receive a little more sympathy on here.

Marocco Oct 22nd 2010 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8935122)
My thoughts exactly. Don't expect the USA to let you stay there either. It's back to your homeland, wherever that may be. So let's hear your excuse for the bouncing cheque incident and you may receive a little more sympathy on here.

If it involved company cheques, I doubt it would be considered a crime in the US (however, this is something which should be checked with a US attorney).

lionheart Oct 22nd 2010 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 8935767)
If it involved company cheques, I doubt it would be considered a crime in the US (however, this is something which should be checked with a US attorney).

if it involved company cheques, he probably wouldn't have been prosecuted. Most likely a personal rental or loan payment.

soukie Oct 22nd 2010 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8935122)

Perhaps UAE is their homeland:blink:

USA Oct 22nd 2010 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8935867)
if it involved company cheques, he probably wouldn't have been prosecuted. Most likely a personal rental or loan payment.

its company check.
UAE treat any bounce check as Fraud against signatory regardless company/personal or any other circumstances.
simply it bounce either to pay or go to prison.