British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Debit cards - Lloyds TSB closing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/debit-cards-lloyds-tsb-closing-770631/)

ctfc Sep 5th 2012 8:46 am

Debit cards - Lloyds TSB closing

Help required!

Lloyds TSB has sold out to HSBC here and I have no intention of my account being transferred to those muppets.

However, the Lloyds TSB debit card seemed to be unique when I opened the account a couple of years ago in that you could use it to check into hotels etc. For example the Standard Chartered debit card didn't/doesn't work for that and didn't have chip & pin either which made it pretty much useless as anything other than for taking cash out of ATMs

Anyone used Citibank here? Any good? Other recommendations?

norsk Sep 5th 2012 9:12 am

Re: Debit cards - Lloyds TSB closing

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 10264791)
Help required!

Lloyds TSB has sold out to HSBC here and I have no intention of my account being transferred to those muppets.

However, the Lloyds TSB debit card seemed to be unique when I opened the account a couple of years ago in that you could use it to check into hotels etc. For example the Standard Chartered debit card didn't/doesn't work for that and didn't have chip & pin either which made it pretty much useless as anything other than for taking cash out of ATMs

Anyone used Citibank here? Any good? Other recommendations?

I have an account with Citibank. They are okay I guess. Still waiting for my chip and pin card though...

ctfc Sep 5th 2012 9:15 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 10264832)
I have an account with Citibank. They are okay I guess. Still waiting for my chip and pin card though...

So no chip and pin at Citibank :( surprised! That counts them out then!

auzdafluff Sep 5th 2012 9:38 am

RAK has a good reputation. I don't bank with them myself, but I know they once stopped accepting applications from ITP staff because so many of them doing a runner back in the recession.

That sounds to me like they've at least got one brain there.

Millhouse Sep 5th 2012 11:17 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 10264834)
So no chip and pin at Citibank :( surprised! That counts them out then!

HSBC and Emirates NBD both have chip n pin cards.

norsk Sep 5th 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 10264832)

they have announced that they are being rolled out in the next couple of months...