British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Death and Taxes... death first please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/death-taxes-death-first-please-646361/)

alitrist Dec 28th 2009 2:44 pm

Death and Taxes... death first please!

When I was young I remeber adverts on the T.V with little pencil drawn man with bowler hat talking about taxes and how easy it was and if you needed any help your local tax office would always be more willing to help out.... And like most childhood myths, they all turn out to be load of bollox!!!

last week I called my tax office to get some advice as I'm coming out to dubai in feb next year and wanted to find out what I would be liable for - reqasonable request...or so I thought! Instead of coming through to that little kind man in the bowler hat, I got through to the travel agent lady from Little Britain, the one that always says "computer says no" but I got the "its all on our website sir".... well actaully Miss your website is rather F**king limited and is very much open to interpretation.

Anyway does anybody have any half decent (simple) tax websites I could search for advice??

Excuse the rant.... just very, very, VERY fed up!!!

Jeeper Dec 28th 2009 3:47 pm

Re: Death and Taxes... death first please!

Originally Posted by alitrist (Post 8201137)

And that's BEFORE you move here?!?!

technocracy Dec 28th 2009 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by alitrist (Post 8201137)
When I was young I remeber adverts on the T.V with little pencil drawn man with bowler hat talking about taxes and how easy it was and if you needed any help your local tax office would always be more willing to help out.... And like most childhood myths, they all turn out to be load of bollox!!!

last week I called my tax office to get some advice as I'm coming out to dubai in feb next year and wanted to find out what I would be liable for - reqasonable request...or so I thought! Instead of coming through to that little kind man in the bowler hat, I got through to the travel agent lady from Little Britain, the one that always says "computer says no" but I got the "its all on our website sir".... well actaully Miss your website is rather F**king limited and is very much open to interpretation.

Anyway does anybody have any half decent (simple) tax websites I could search for advice??

TBF - *****'em. If you are leaving the UK shores for good - leave and fill out the form to tell them you are no longer domiciled or part of the UK tax system (I forget the form number). They won't tell you nothing - it's up to you to tell them. If your taxable income is zero then tell them zero if it's more *cough* if you want to tell them *cough* then tell them it's more! Just make sure you de-registered from being self-employed otherwise they'll be chasing you to fill out a self assessment regardless of if you owe them tax or not.

kittycat1 Dec 28th 2009 4:15 pm

Have a chat with your accountant. Mine gave me all the info - in layman terms, and sorted everything out for me- I think its the P86 you need.

Hello.Kitty Dec 28th 2009 10:01 pm

or... phone again and hope to get someone more helpful!

I had a similar situation with Child Benefit - the call-centre monkey couldn't say or do anything that wasn't part of the script and said he'd closed my account. After 4 months of reapplying, filling in "returning to the UK" forms 3 times and chasing them, a very nice woman called me back and said that the original chap didn't know squat and that everything was now fine.

Meow Dec 29th 2009 4:37 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8201280)
Have a chat with your accountant. Mine gave me all the info - in layman terms, and sorted everything out for me- I think its the P86 you need.

Or speak to a professional here who fully understands the system. ;) A P85 is the form to complete on leaving the UK to request non-resident status.

alitrist - what do you need to know?

-

MacScot Dec 29th 2009 7:12 am

Originally Posted by technocracy (Post 8201257)
TBF - *****'em. If you are leaving the UK shores for good - leave and fill out the form to tell them you are no longer domiciled or part of the UK tax system (I forget the form number). They won't tell you nothing - it's up to you to tell them. If your taxable income is zero then tell them zero if it's more *cough* if you want to tell them *cough* then tell them it's more! Just make sure you de-registered from being self-employed otherwise they'll be chasing you to fill out a self assessment regardless of if you owe them tax or not.

Inland Revenue:

They've got what it takes to take what you've got. :rolleyes:

mission Dec 29th 2009 7:36 am

you need to fill in the P86 form.

Meow Dec 29th 2009 7:59 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 8202936)
you need to fill in the P86 form.

:rolleyes: I'll say it again. A P85 is the form you complete on leaving the UK (although it is a little more complicated than just filling in a form.)

A P86 is the HMRC form for completing if you return permanently.

I do wonder why I bother sometimes...

-

saeed409 Dec 29th 2009 8:41 am

Hi

The form is p85.

Im an accountant from Manchester, England.

Just moved to Riyadh.

The form is p85 it is available on HMRC website or email me and I will send you a pdf copy.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Bye

Meow Dec 29th 2009 9:29 am

[

Excuse me?? ??

-

Cham128 Dec 29th 2009 10:23 am

maybe it's time they changed their slogan to

"tax doesn't have to be taxing, but we want to make sure it is"

mission Dec 29th 2009 11:30 am

Originally Posted by saeed409 (Post 8203017)
Hi

The form is p85.

Just moved to Riyadh.

The form is p85 it is available on HMRC website or email me and I will send you a pdf copy.

Bye

ok my bad i got the last frigging digit wrong...sheesh :blink:

The Dean Dec 29th 2009 11:40 am

Originally Posted by saeed409 (Post 8203017)
Hi

The form is p85.

Just moved to Riyadh.

Bye

You are a mere pretender my friend.............

......... especially if all you can offer is to repeat what our regular source of such information has already contributed.

Let's see if you get your own radio show in Riyadh..........

saeed409 Dec 29th 2009 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8203382)
You are a mere pretender my friend.............

......... especially if all you can offer is to repeat what our regular source of such information has already contributed.

Let's see if you get your own radio show in Riyadh..........

sorry if that is what you thought!

Im a newbie, just arrived in Saudi a few weeks ago.