Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Deaf lady is Qatar a mistake?

Deaf lady is Qatar a mistake?

Old Mar 4th 2013, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Deaf lady is Qatar a mistake?

This isn't meant to be a pun, but you sound like you've got the right attitude. My step-nan is a ****ing nightmare. She's got the phone that you talk to a stranger and they type, it took forever for her to get it, insisted she wasn't going deaf.

With your positivity I hope it works for you both. Genuinely.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:12 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

thank you all for your help it's eased a lot of my worries and given me places to go to research further

living abroad is always an adventure and learning about others culture is fascinating even when some of it is hard to understand.

Scamp I really hope I'm not quite as old as your step Nan
I am just the wrong side of 50.

I have been deaf a very long time though so it's pretty normal for me and the internet has been a huge boon to us deafies
Old Mar 4th 2013, 3:37 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Expect people to react to you in a similar way to in India.

Regarding opiates, contact a western GP in Qatar ASAP. I think you will be ok but if you travel in with any make sure you had a letter from a doctor ideally one in the uk that the police can contact if needed. The GP in Qatar will probably be able to prescribe the drugs you need but he will also issue a government license which you must keep on you at all times.
Opiates are prescribed in the region but are under an insane amount of control and paperwork.

On the whole I reckon if you coped ok in India then Qatar should be fine.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:04 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Expect people to react to you in a similar way to in India.

Regarding opiates, contact a western GP in Qatar ASAP. I think you will be ok but if you travel in with any make sure you had a letter from a doctor ideally one in the uk that the police can contact if needed. The GP in Qatar will probably be able to prescribe the drugs you need but he will also issue a government license which you must keep on you at all times.
Opiates are prescribed in the region but are under an insane amount of control and paperwork.

On the whole I reckon if you coped ok in India then Qatar should be fine.
I will be moving there from Australia I have dual nationality
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:07 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I will be moving there from Australia I have dual nationality
Get an Australian gp to give you a letter and copy of your prescription then
Can't decide if Qatar would be more or less civilised than oz though ;-)

Last edited by shiva; Mar 4th 2013 at 4:08 pm. Reason: Bloody iPhone
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by shiva
Get an Australian gp to give you a letter and copy of your prescription then
Can't decide if Qatar would be more or less civilised than oz though ;-)
Hey Australia has loads of culture
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
Hey Australia has loads of culture
Yup, shops are full of yoghurt.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:43 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

I would guess that the thing a deaf person might miss the most would be an active (and in my limited experience, wonderfully bolshie) deaf community. There may well be one in Qatar and there is also the possibility that connecting with other deaf people might give you more opportunities to escape the Anglo expat ghetto that is otherwise almost irresistible. If you are interested, the simple but significant common ground of being deaf may give you access to a much more multi-cultural group of friends than most others are able to find. That is certainly the case in the gay community for example.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yup, shops are full of yoghurt.
hehe I wondered who would say that! Australia is a fantastic country I will be so sad to leave.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In some parts of the Middle East there is the beginning of a movement to integrate deaf people. Maybe in Qatar too ?

http://www.qdeaf.org/specialcourses.php

http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-...=19007&rog3=QA

Last edited by scot47; Mar 4th 2013 at 6:41 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
In some parts of the Middle East there is the beginning of a movement to integrate deaf people. Maybe in Qatar too ?

http://www.qdeaf.org/specialcourses.php

http://www.joshuaproject.net/people-...=19007&rog3=QA
wow thanks for that it is brilliant

hopefully I will have something to offer and lots to learn, although I notice the alphabet at the top is american one handed signing rather than the notepad and pen type of BSL that I am used to
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect Qatar has followed the lead of KSA in adopting American conventions.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Qatar calling...is this deaf lady's residence visa a mistake?

Stoic,formidable and funny,go for it,it's something different to try.
If you do and you find it tedious- check out Qatar Airlines....some great destinations for long weekends at knock down prices if you ahead of the game.

Oh the game....you should be there for the WC then?,bit like being in Rome for Easter this year!

I don ' t think Qatar is ready for you Asher ....
Best of luck,do let us know what you decide,your posts have been very refreshing .
X
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Qatar calling...is this deaf lady's residence visa a mistake?

Stoic,formidable and funny,go for it,it's something different to try.
If you do and you find it tedious- check out Qatar Airlines....some great destinations for long weekends at knock down prices if you ahead of the game.

Oh the game....you should be there for the WC then?,bit like being in Rome for Easter this year!

I don ' t think Qatar is ready for you Asher ....
Best of luck,do let us know what you decide,your posts have been very refreshing .
X
Tut,tut, sweet Eva! Despite the reputation it has, Qatar is beginning to get its act together. Slowly admittedly, but Sheika Mousa is a very powerful influence on bringing Qatar to the late 20th Century....
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:46 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Tut,tut, sweet Eva! Despite the reputation it has, Qatar is beginning to get its act together. Slowly admittedly, but Sheika Mousa is a very powerful influence on bringing Qatar to the late 20th Century....
Is he the second wife?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.