British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   The day I crossed over (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/day-i-crossed-over-436549/)

china syndrome Mar 22nd 2007 2:38 pm

The day I crossed over

Just a tongue in cheek observation of life.

There seems to be two main stream expat lives here, in Qatar anyway, elsewhere in the Gulf, I dont know.

Today I go on vacation, so no work, flight leaves tonight, so time to look around. It feels like a bit when you skip school and see how life goes on in your absence.

For 5 yrs plus I've spent at least 1 hour each way to work and back, 50km south of Doha, a routine like most other working blokes I guess. And, like most other working blokes, when ever we venture out as a 'family unit' after work, or at weekends, it's at the same time as all the other 'family units' you bump into, you know, shopping, eating out, movies, parks etc.

So this morning I tag along with the wife (I love that, 'the wife', they hate it:rofl: ) Anyway, first stop 'Le Notre' for breaky. Good here, open buffet QR60.

Now, imagine, throw your self back in time, say the early colonial days of Singapore, housewives gathered around a table sipping tea and eating scones at Raffles hotel. with colourful skirts and straw hats. Picture it?

This moment at 'Le Notre', granted, minus the hats and old fashioned skirts and aircon instead of ceiling fans, was truly a 'flashback'.

I counted, and, 80% of the tables were just as above. I thought, is this how the other half live. I couldn't help mimicking an imaginary conversation on the empty table next to us:

"I say Majorie, sip, sip, how's George doing in the desert these days"

"Can't complain darling, sip, sip, but he's so inconsiderate, if I've asked him once I've asked him a thousand times, empty the sand from your pockets before putting the overalls in the laundry"

"I know dear, James is the same, the maid just cleaned the kitchen floor and in he comes dripping sweat every where"

"Oh I know Joyce, it's so hard, another scone darling?"

Well, the wife thought it funny, even though I am encroaching on her life style. I couldn't help thinking, at this time I would usually be 30m up a column hanging on to scaffold somewhere south of Doha!

So, a few last minute chores before the airport and my wife suggests just enough time to fit Starbucks in before picking up our son from school.

Starbucks, not sure if it is an alternative to 'Le Notre' or a natural progression for the 'straw hat' brigade to relax after breakfast. But needless to say, all the soft seats were taken up and all the newspapers being read!!
At this time, on a normal working day, I would be somewhere in the desert looking at a piece of pipe.

I had to ask her (the wife), is this it? Is this life on the other side? And the answer, more or less, yes it is, so what, what else do we do? Apart from say "go get a job", I had to agree with her. (How many expat husbands would have the courage to say that hey, go get a job":lol: )

Now, I just know there are many itchy fingers out there wanting to respond with 'the story from the other side'. I am sure Mum's out there are akin to a perpetual taxi service with lots of other chores thrown in. Mothers and house wives with no maids cleaning floors. And yes, lots of wives do work.

But wait. Who's complaining here, go back to my first line.

We all know it's not easy at times, and I remember what my boss at the time told me when I first arrived, after I asked him how he'd stuck it for so long. If your wife and family are happy, then you can stay for as long as you want, (contract allowing ofcourse). once she falls out with the place, your days are numbered,

And thats my take on it, my wife does not need to work, thats her choice. What she does in her spare time, up to her, go have tea and 'wear a straw hat':thumbsup: As long as she is happy.

I just thought the initial scenario in Le Notre' was quite funny and wanted to share.;)

On my return from leave, it's back to the desert 40 plus centigrade, sipping water and eating sand ............ and wearing a hard hat!!!

littlejimmy Mar 22nd 2007 3:13 pm

Re: The day I crossed over

I like your style, CS. A salutory lesson in something....I'm not quite sure what. :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, that belongs on a blog.

Also, as someone who is considering a possible move to Doha from Dubai, pray tell me what I can say to the WIFE to make her see that it won't be such an upheaval?

china syndrome Jun 22nd 2007 5:23 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4547440)
I like your style, CS. A salutory lesson in something....I'm not quite sure what. :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, that belongs on a blog.

Also, as someone who is considering a possible move to Doha from Dubai, pray tell me what I can say to the WIFE to make her see that it won't be such an upheaval?

Yeh, it is more of a blog type thing, but who would read it there?

Oh, it will be an upheaval alright!! However, whether for better or worse is a matter of opinion.

It is a lot quieter and laid back here in Qatar, soon run out of things to do though. Why not pop over for a weekend before hand, or even send your wife over, my wife will be happy to show her around a bit.

Rebel Jun 22nd 2007 3:00 pm

China Syndrome

I think I am in love - room for a 2nd wife?

twinkle-star Jun 23rd 2007 8:17 am

Love it ...........:rofl: ............very true.....:lol:
My DH is always telling me to get a job, hasnt happened yet.:blink:
He often compares my luncheons and coffee mornings to him walking round site in boiling hot sun 6 days a week....
Hes just jealous........:lol:

Tough life here....:frown:

novita77 Jun 23rd 2007 11:43 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 4956150)
Love it ...........:rofl: ............very true.....:lol:
My DH is always telling me to get a job, hasnt happened yet.:blink:
He often compares my luncheons and coffee mornings to him walking round site in boiling hot sun 6 days a week....
Hes just jealous........:lol:

Tough life here....:frown:

TS ... your husband must be a clone of mine ... :eek::p

beebee Jun 23rd 2007 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by novita77 (Post 4957076)
TS ... your husband must be a clone of mine ... :eek::p

does anyone realise how much this thread has p***** me off?

clifford Jun 23rd 2007 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 4957880)

No, why? Did it hit a raw nerve?

littlejimmy Jun 23rd 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by clifford (Post 4958592)
No, why? Did it hit a raw nerve?

That was me, not clifford, by the way.

novita77 Jun 23rd 2007 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 4957880)

you ok beebee??? :confused:

beebee Jun 23rd 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by novita77 (Post 4958742)
you ok beebee??? :confused:

yes sweetie.. never hit a raw nerve.. the opposite actually.. but i know i am the exception to the rule.. thanks for the concern .. karma sent xx

Truth Speak Jun 24th 2007 6:01 am

Originally Posted by china syndrome (Post 4547326)
Just a tongue in cheek observation of life.

the initial scenario in Le Notre' was quite funny and wanted to share.;)

On my return from leave, it's back to the desert 40 plus centigrade, sipping water and eating sand ............ and wearing a hard hat!!!

Thanks CS . best post i've read for eons.......... When i jacked it in in Dubai i had a few days cruising round solo, and its exactly the same as Doha.....

The Lime Tree anyone????

annann Jun 25th 2007 7:49 am

A great read CS, and yes I'm one of those wives. "Can work, wont work". :p

No honestly, after working and bringing up a family I've decided (think husband agrees) that this is my time. Husband just keeps asking when is it going to be his time. There's no answer to that I'm afraid :D

littlejimmy Jun 25th 2007 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Truth Speak (Post 4960342)
Thanks CS . best post i've read for eons.......... When i jacked it in in Dubai i had a few days cruising round solo, and its exactly the same as Doha.....

The Lime Tree anyone????

Oh God, yeah. The Slime Tree Café is nearly as far up its own arse as the clientele. The staff are universally surly and ignorant (no effort required - we're the best café in town, you know), and the prices are ridiculous. The carrot cake is nice, I'll grant it that much.

Meow Jun 25th 2007 11:30 am

Originally Posted by annann (Post 4964724)
A great read CS, and yes I'm one of those wives. "Can work, wont work". :p

No honestly, after working and bringing up a family I've decided (think husband agrees) that this is my time. Husband just keeps asking when is it going to be his time. There's no answer to that I'm afraid :D

That doesn't seem fair. If you are no longer bringing up children, why should you be supported when you could be making a contribution?