British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Day 2 and Day 8 COVID Tests (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/day-2-day-8-covid-tests-940433/)

Desert Shaikh Sep 2nd 2021 11:44 am

Day 2 and Day 8 COVID Tests

Planning to visit UK from Saudi next week and searching for a company to use for the day 2 and 8 tests. However the prices are ridiculous, into the 100's of pounds for self test by post.

Anyone know of cheaper companies to use for self test by post? Also I cannot complete the Passenger Locator form without a reference number from the test provider.

Thanks.

Taz786 Sep 2nd 2021 1:03 pm

Re: Day 2 and Day 8 COVID Tests

I used Randox Health. They have discount codes generally. I used 'Emirates' code and it provided 10% discount. Not sure if there is any other code with a greater value.

Afahd Sep 2nd 2021 1:07 pm

Google Nationwide Pathology. A friend of mine came from Dubai yesterday and recommended them. They have the 2 & 8 days test for £85. That's reasonable. Don't try to go so cheap as some labs don't respond and have a horrendous process. That friend told me Expert Medicals didn't send the sample to the home office and their phones are not answering. Also if you received either AZ, Phizer or Moderna double vaccination, you only need day 2, not 8 if you are coming directly from Saudi. That should cut your PCR bill by half. Good luck

UKMS Sep 2nd 2021 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Afahd (Post 13047100)
Google Nationwide Pathology. A friend of mine came from Dubai yesterday and recommended them. They have the 2 & 8 days test for £85. That's reasonable. Don't try to go so cheap as some labs don't respond and have a horrendous process. That friend told me Expert Medicals didn't send the sample to the home office and their phones are not answering. Also if you received either AZ, Phizer or Moderna double vaccination, you only need day 2, not 8 if you are coming directly from Saudi. That should cut your PCR bill by half. Good luck

out of interest why do you say you don’t need day 8 ? …… if you’ve been vaccinated in Saudi (I’ve assumed the OP has been) you need day 2 and 8

Afahd Sep 3rd 2021 12:47 am

Originally Posted by UKMS (Post 13047221)
out of interest why do you say you don’t need day 8 ? …… if you’ve been vaccinated in Saudi (I’ve assumed the OP has been) you need day 2 and 8

These are the rules if you are landing from an amber list country such as Saudi and you are fully vaccinated before departure by at least 14 days
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...ber-list-rules

If you are fully vaccinated

After you arrive in England you must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2.

This applies if you’re fully vaccinated under either:
  • the UK vaccination programme
  • the UK vaccine programme overseas
  • an approved vaccination programme in Europe or the USA - not all are recognised in England
This is the link of how to prove you are fully vaccinated

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-q...ive-in-england

What counts as fully vaccinated

You may not be considered to be fully vaccinated for the purpose of entering the UK even if you’re considered to be fully vaccinated in your country of origin.

In the UK, ‘fully vaccinated’ means you’ve had either:
  • 2 doses of an approved 2 dose vaccine (such as Pfizer or AstraZeneca)
  • one dose of an approved single dose vaccine (such as Janssen)
You must have had your final dose at least 14 whole days before you arrive in England. The day you had your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

UKMS Sep 3rd 2021 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Afahd (Post 13047273)
These are the rules if you are landing from an amber list country such as Saudi and you are fully vaccinated before departure by at least 14 days
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...ber-list-rules

If you are fully vaccinated

After you arrive in England you must take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2.

This applies if you’re fully vaccinated under either:
  • the UK vaccination programme
  • the UK vaccine programme overseas
  • an approved vaccination programme in Europe or the USA - not all are recognised in England
This is the link of how to prove you are fully vaccinated

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-q...ive-in-england

What counts as fully vaccinated

You may not be considered to be fully vaccinated for the purpose of entering the UK even if you’re considered to be fully vaccinated in your country of origin.

In the UK, ‘fully vaccinated’ means you’ve had either:
  • 2 doses of an approved 2 dose vaccine (such as Pfizer or AstraZeneca)
  • one dose of an approved single dose vaccine (such as Janssen)
You must have had your final dose at least 14 whole days before you arrive in England. The day you had your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

Yeah …. Got all that and know it inside out but as the OP is ‘visiting’ the UK from Saudi …. High chance the vaccine has been done in Saudi which doesn’t qualify. I’m sure the OP will tell us.

Millhouse Sep 3rd 2021 8:11 am

Originally Posted by UKMS (Post 13047275)
Yeah …. Got all that and know it inside out but as the OP is ‘visiting’ the UK from Saudi …. High chance the vaccine has been done in Saudi which doesn’t qualify. I’m sure the OP will tell us.

I feel like he skipped over the sentence he didn't like.

weasel decentral Sep 3rd 2021 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 13047331)
I feel like he skipped over the sentence he didn't like.

Might be ok depending on the vaccine, I had Astra Zeneca in India and it's accepted in Europe generally as being vaccinated. Though the rules seem wildly inconsistent and subject to change

Millhouse Sep 3rd 2021 10:23 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 13047354)
Might be ok depending on the vaccine, I had Astra Zeneca in India and it's accepted in Europe generally as being vaccinated. Though the rules seem wildly inconsistent and subject to change

It has to be administered by the NHS. You realise when you try and lie on the UK-locator form and it asks more questions... you either have to go down a rabbit hole of extra lies over lies or press the back button. I pressed the back button.

tdrinker Sep 3rd 2021 11:25 am

You can see the list of test providers here. Prices from £20 to £675(!). Worth checking reviews, e.g. on Test Pilot.

https://www.find-travel-test-provide...est-type/amber

UKMS Sep 3rd 2021 1:05 pm

We’ve used an in person reputable clinic in London for our trips and using them again tomorrow…… cost a bit more but they are very efficient, they see you exactly on time and return the result with certificate same day. For me it was better the devil you know.

tdrinker Sep 3rd 2021 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by UKMS (Post 13047437)
We’ve used an in person reputable clinic in London for our trips and using them again tomorrow…… cost a bit more but they are very efficient, they see you exactly on time and return the result with certificate same day. For me it was better the devil you know.

Would definitely do this for 5 day test & release or for a test to allow travel. Cheaper (slower and possibly less reliable) tests for day 2 & 8 after arrival are worth considering, however, as they don't delay your release or or stop you travelling if they are slow.

weasel decentral Sep 3rd 2021 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 13047373)
It has to be administered by the NHS. You realise when you try and lie on the UK-locator form and it asks more questions... you either have to go down a rabbit hole of extra lies over lies or press the back button. I pressed the back button.

Did the back button get bigger as you progressed in your web of lies :) it seems the website is designed to flush out those who lie on the basis of calculated risk though I'm sure dumb asses still continue obliviously