Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dallas Austin pardon

View Poll Results: Was Dallas Austins pardon fair?
No, too lenient.
92.86%
Fair got to keep good relations with the US even on nobodies.
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Dallas Austin pardon

Old Jul 9th 2006, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dallas Austin pardon

For those of you who are still interested - this is a detailed explanation of why & how Austin was released. Interesting stuff.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...c/14996116.htm
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

WOO WOO WOO!!!!
More Austin news!!

What better way to say 'thanks' than to screw your lawyer for helping you avoid 4 years of ass-pounding in a UAE jail?

http://gulfnews.com/nation/General/10052747.html
Old Jul 12th 2006, 1:10 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
WOO WOO WOO!!!!
More Austin news!!

What better way to say 'thanks' than to screw your lawyer for helping you avoid 4 years of ass-pounding in a UAE jail?

http://gulfnews.com/nation/General/10052747.html

1) The lawyer had little to nothing to do with his pardon

2) The fee is quite ridiculous

3) "Now they have warned that there is no written proof between us. However, we have an e-mail which we sent them including the amount and the method of payment," he said. ---In a society so horribly engrossed with 'contracts', would a UAE Local pay someone a fee after simply receiving an e-mail notifying them of the charge, i think not. Don't you think, of all people, that a lawyer might know that nothing is proof until signed on the dotted line.

4) Go back to the original article. The lawyers defense was 'he didn't know the law' and his reason for acquittal was 'he's a celebrity'. Shit, if I though I could get paid $440,000 for that genius information I would be in a different business!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TA - I do agree with you.

His UAE lawyer had nothing to do with his pardon. If you look at my earlier post - it all goes back to DP World and the US Port deals.

It's just amusing to read about how Austin was graciously pardoned, then as soon as he leaves the country he's calling off all deals. I wonder if this (former) lawyer still wants to see him out of jail?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:52 pm
W10

Maybe the lawyer had quite a bit of wasta.

I like to think that it went like this.

Laywer: "look mr austin. I can get you off this rap, but it's gonna cost you...."

Austin: "Anything, here's 40k up front man, the rest is under my mattress in Atlanta. I'll post it to you when I get home"

Lawyer: "Atlanta? Is he your brother Mr Dallas?"

Austin: "You trippin' beeeyatch?"

Fast forward to Dubai airport:

Austin's US lawyer: "how much was that bill?"

Austin: "400k I owe...yeah ****ing right"

The pair high five and snort a couple of lines.

Old Jul 12th 2006, 5:46 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Maybe the lawyer had quite a bit of wasta.

I like to think that it went like this.

Laywer: "look mr austin. I can get you off this rap, but it's gonna cost you...."

Austin: "Anything, here's 40k up front man, the rest is under my mattress in Atlanta. I'll post it to you when I get home"

Lawyer: "Atlanta? Is he your brother Mr Dallas?"

Austin: "You trippin' beeeyatch?"

Fast forward to Dubai airport:

Austin's US lawyer: "how much was that bill?"

Austin: "400k I owe...yeah ****ing right"

The pair high five and snort a couple of lines.

Absolutely!